• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top 70 RBs for dynasty leagues - ESPN Insider

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Running back is a position for which I place a heavy premium on youth for my dynasty rosters. We've seen in players such as Ray Rice a quick and steep decline in performance, so I never want to get caught in a situation where I hang on to a back for too long. You'll see this philosophy reflected in the rankings below.

Here are my rankings of the top 70 running backs for dynasty leagues, with write-ups on the top 40:

1. LeSean McCoy, Philadelphia Eagles

McCoy is the fuel for Chip Kelly's high-octane offense, a perfect fit in a system that emphasizes speed in space. McCoy is one of the league's best in the open field. He's also a fantastic receiver who can handle a significant workload out of the backfield in addition to his normal duties between the tackles. Working in his favor: The Eagles' offensive line is among the best in the league. Darren Sproles, who at this point of his career is far more of a receiver than a runner, could take a small bite out of McCoy's t

2. Eddie Lacy, Green Bay Packers

Lacy is in a great situation in Green Bay. He is an obvious talent capable of being a true workhorse back and one of the last in a dying breed of NFL runner. The Packers' offense will no doubt move the football, which means Lacy will continue to see unloaded boxes on his way to the end zone. Whoever has Lacy in your league is probably well aware of his potential, but there's always a chance they might not fully understand what they have yet. So throw them an offer, and see what happens: Lacy could anchor your dynasty squad for years to come.

3. Jamaal Charles, Kansas City Chiefs

Coming off a remarkable season, Charles more or less represents the entire Chiefs offense. For the most part, that's a great thing for fantasy owners, who will be thrilled at the number of opportunities Charles should have in Kansas City. But Charles is 27, and given his propensity for injury and his reliance on track-star speed -- usually, the first trait to go -- it's unclear how much longer he'll be productive. The Chiefs also took some lumps along their offensive line this offseason, so make this pick with the proper assessment of risk. Charles is still a fantastic fantasy asset, but it might be time to think about selling high if you can get a great package in return.

4. Giovani Bernard, Cincinnati Bengals

Given the addition of Jeremy Hill, this might be too high a rank for Bernard, especially because he won't see a lot of short-yardage or goal-line work as the Bengals move to a two-back look. Still, Hill is not even close to the difference-maker that Bernard is, and so even with his presence, I expect Bernard's role overall to expand dramatically. We should see Bernard lined up in the slot and garnering more touches on the ground than he did this past season. This is guy is too tough to keep off the field, and he is an extremely friendly option for QB Andy Dalton. The fantasy points from Bernard will keep coming now, though they should come in bunches.

5. Montee Ball, Denver Broncos

Ball is in a similar situation to Le'Veon Bell (more on him in just a moment), given that he should receive a boost in touches in his second season. I think Bell is the superior talent as a runner -- he's clearly a better receiver -- but you can't ask for a better situation than the one in which Ball currently finds himself with the Broncos. Ball should have a monster 2014 campaign. However, it might be wise to entertain trade offers for him as the season goes on, particularly after a big game when his value is at its highest; once Manning moves on and the defensive attention begins to focus on Ball, his production could fall off significantly.

6. Le'Veon Bell, Pittsburgh Steelers

This might seem high for a back who averaged just 3.5 yards per carry as a rookie, but I contend that Bell looked better and better on tape as the season went along. I also think the Steelers' offensive line (thanks to Mike Munchak and Maurkice Pouncey) will be much better in 2014 than it was in 2013. LeGarrette Blount might eat into Bell's touchdown numbers to some degree, but Bell is also an exceptional receiver for a big back -- a quality you rarely find in the NFL. Oh, and this: Bell doesn't turn 23 until February.

7. DeMarco Murray, Dallas Cowboys

Yes, Murray is an injury risk, but he is always highly productive when he is on the field. The Cowboys also really don't have anyone to challenge him for touches, and they could feature one of the best offensive lines in the league for the foreseeable future. With its terrible defense, Dallas will have to score a ton of points to stay competitive in games. The personnel is there to do so, and that obviously favors Murray quite a bit.

8. Adrian Peterson, Minnesota Vikings

This ranking might seem crazy, given Peterson's status as an all-time great and the fact that he continues to play outstanding football as he approaches his 30th birthday. But this is dynasty we're talking about, and so it is Peterson's age -- and his prospect for long-term success -- rather than previous performance that is key. In a redraft league, I would take Peterson first overall. And while I certainly understand that AP is different from most running backs -- his recovery from surgery a few years ago is the stuff of legend -- he's still just as likely to fall off a cliff sometime in the next handful of seasons. Still, with Teddy Bridgewater likely taking over soon rather than later, Peterson is sure to get a lot of work carrying the weight of an inexperienced quarterback. But for a guy who has been a workhorse for a long time now, Peterson might not be able to shoulder a large load for much longer.

9. Matt Forte, Chicago Bears

In redraft, Forte is a Top 5 RB. He is a great player who is ideally suited for the offense on a team that will need to score plenty of points to win. My hesitation with Forte is that he will be turning 29 years old during the season and has accumulated an awful lot of touches over his college and pro careers. It is possible that his value is as high as it will ever be right now, which makes him a sell-high candidate for me. But could Forte remain an RB1 for the next two or three years? No question about it.

10. Marshawn Lynch, Seattle Seahawks

Lynch is simply a great football player and should be higher on this list if your dynasty team is truly in win-now mode. But Christine Michael was drafted for a reason, and the Seahawks very well could choose to use their money elsewhere than on a running back who has taken quite a bit of punishment over the years. Lynch recently turned 28 and is coming off a season (including playoffs) in which he carried the ball 366 times. Plus, I have major questions about the Seahawks' offensive line overall.

11. Doug Martin, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
12. Andre Ellington, Arizona Cardinals
13. C.J. Spiller, Buffalo Bills
14. Alfred Morris, Washington Redskins
15. Zac Stacy, St. Louis Rams
16. Christine Michael, Seattle Seahawks
17. Arian Foster, Houston Texans
18. Ryan Mathews, San Diego Chargers
19. Carlos Hyde, San Francisco 49ers
20. Stevan Ridley, New England Patriots
21. Shane Vereen, New England Patriots
22. Bishop Sankey, Tennessee Titans
23. Trent Richardson, Indianapolis Colts
24. Joique Bell, Detroit Lions
25. Reggie Bush, Detroit Lions
26. Ben Tate, Cleveland Browns
27. Mark Ingram, New Orleans Saints
28. Chris Johnson, New York Jets
29. Pierre Thomas, New Orleans Saints
30. Knowshon Moreno, Miami Dolphins
31. Jeremy Hill, Cincinnati Bengals
32. Tre Mason, St. Louis Rams
33. Devonta Freeman, Atlanta Falcons
34. Toby Gerhart, Jacksonville Jaguars
35. Steven Jackson, Atlanta Falcons
36. Ray Rice, Baltimore Ravens
37. Frank Gore, San Francisco 49ers
38. David Wilson, New York Giants
39. Maurice Jones-Drew, Oakland Raiders
40. DeAngelo Williams, Carolina Panthers
41. Rashad Jennings, New York Giants
42. Bernard Pierce, Baltimore Ravens
43. Knile Davis, Kansas City Chiefs
44. Bryce Brown, Buffalo Bills
45. Darren McFadden, Oakland Raiders
46. Jonathan Stewart, Carolina Panthers
47. Marcus Lattimore, San Francisco 49ers
48. Isaiah Crowell, Cleveland Browns
49. Darren Sproles, Philadelphia Eagles
50. Donald Brown, San Diego Chargers
51. Charles Sims, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
52. Terrance West, Cleveland Browns
53. Lamar Miller, Miami Dolphins
54. Chris Ivory, New York Jets
55. Khiry Robinson, New Orleans Saints
56. Shonn Greene, Tennessee Titans
57. Ka'Deem Carey, Chicago Bears
58. LeGarrette Blount, Pittsburgh Steelers
59. Andre Williams, New York Giants
60. Danny Woodhead, San Diego Chargers
61. C.J. Anderson, Denver Broncos
62. Dexter McCluster, Tennessee Titans
63. Jerick McKinnon, Minnesota Vikings
64. Fred Jackson, Buffalo Bills
65. Ahmad Bradshaw, Indianapolis Colts
66. Lance Dunbar, Dallas Cowboys
67. Johnathan Franklin, Green Bay Packers
68. James White, New England Patriots
69. Lorenzo Taliaferro, Baltimore Ravens
70. Storm Johnson, Jacksonville Jaguars

LeSean McCoy tops rankings for dynasty running backs -- Fantasy Football - Fantasy Football - ESPN

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trent Richardson was #1 last year, so take it for what it is....a crapshoot.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you so much for posting this!

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trent Richardson was #1 last year, so take it for what it is....a crapshoot.

LOL, that is quite the tumble, going from 1st to 23, and getting passed up by rookies that haven't even played a down yet, nonetheless!

That better not happen to McCoy - - - I have him in my keeper league