• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rating Running QBs

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Kind of interesting read:

Andrew Luck: The NFL's Best Running Quarterback | The MMQB with Peter King

Did not like this part:

Kaepernick does not read the defense before the snap. You can tell because he shows no understanding of this basic quarterbacking concept: When one receiver is covered, it often means another receiver is not. There’s no awareness of route combinations.

Arguably the biggest thing he's got to work on....

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Kind of interesting read:

Andrew Luck: The NFL's Best Running Quarterback | The MMQB with Peter King

Did not like this part:

Kaepernick does not read the defense before the snap. You can tell because he shows no understanding of this basic quarterbacking concept: When one receiver is covered, it often means another receiver is not. There’s no awareness of route combinations.

Arguably the biggest thing he's got to work on....

He does need to work on it, but that statement is way too negative. Makes him sound like he is an idiot or something standing back there.

In comparison, Peyton Manning is universally regarded as a QB that reads coverages and how did he do in his last and most important game last year? He didn't read shit and crumpled under pressure.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
He does need to work on it, but that statement is way too negative. Makes him sound like he is an idiot or something standing back there.

In comparison, Peyton Manning is universally regarded as a QB that reads coverages and how did he do in his last and most important game last year? He didn't read shit and crumpled under pressure.

Well, it's reviewing all Kap's games, not just his last one. To say he can't read a D at all is not correct IMO, but he's got a LONG way to go to move into the upper echelon.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Reading defenses and making snap confident decisions is the biggest thing he needs to work on.

I don't think it's something that will happen overnight though because I believe it's one of those things you just need to have live experience to really become better at it. Film study does help a lot but it's one thing to master it on film and it's another thing to do it in a split second on the field.

I feel it is something that he'll steadily improve on because he is a hard worker and he does have Harbaugh coaching him. Sure a lot was made about him working out to work on his body in the offseason but I find it hard to believe that the he and the coaching staff don't fully understand he needs to improve in reading defenses.

And once he does get a good grasp of reading defenses I believe that will correct some of his other issues as well. Like his issues with accuracy and pocket presence I felt a lot of it stemmed from not being confident in what to do with the ball. When he knows what he's doing with the ball usually makes a mechanically sound accurate throw on time.

Some other outside things that will help will be having a full cast of guys that are talented and that he knows and will have time to know. For most of the season last year it was Boldin, Davis, and a rotation of nobodies.

Also I wasn't exactly blown away with our passing scheme and that's one area the coaching needs to improve on. We lacked any sort of screen game, to me our short passing attack wasn't all that well designed, and we just seemed a bit too heavy in wanting to pass the ball downfield.

And one thing to note is people call Kaepernick a one read QB but fail to recall that they everyone was saying the 9ers made it easy on Alex Smith by giving him one read. So it does lend the question of how much this one read stuff is completely on the QB and how much of it is by design.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luck definitely has the upper hand as far as his ability to slip out of the pocket and make plays with his arm. While kaepernick is more dangerous with his feet outside the pocket.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And one thing to note is people call Kaepernick a one read QB but fail to recall that they everyone was saying the 9ers made it easy on Alex Smith by giving him one read. So it does lend the question of how much this one read stuff is completely on the QB and how much of it is by design.

I don't think that the way they simplified the offense was making it a one read system. It was eliminating sight adjustments (where the receivers (WRs, RBs, and TEs) adjust their route according to the coverage and there was expected to be some chemistry or communication from them and the QB). Harbaugh eliminated these things to help with blitzes - in fact, the QB had the best numbers against blitzes vs. other downs.

Grantland: How and why Jim Harbaugh eliminated sight-adjustments in the 49ers passing game to make it go | Smart Football

Smith was rated higher at the time in pre-snap reads than most other QBs (someone cited this at the time, though I don't know if this can be measured or just one "expert's" opinion) and we all feel post-snap reads weren't as good (playmaking). The things people are criticizing Kaepernick for (one read) is making progressions which is related to both pre and post-snap reads, but mostly post-snap?

NOT comparing the QBs, I just think the simplification of the offense was not giving the QB, Smith or Kaepernick, one read (obviously) or making it one read or check down. The teaching was to make the pre-snap reads well, which would help with progressions (if the defense doesn't effectively disguise their assignments) and then to work on post snap reads.

Kaepernick will improve by film and playing experience in pre-snap reads. This comes from experience which he has little. Post snap, he is getting that experience in game and practice. I think this year he will show the improvement.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if they added sight adjustments back into the system, if that was something they did because in 2011 it was a new system, or based on the QB. Probably a little of each, as they did get more complex in early 2012 and made a switch to more of a playmaker who likes to and can target receivers more.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kap and Newton are the best running Qb's, last time I looked I did not see Andrew Luck rush for 185 yards in a playoff game or did he break the NFL playoff record for rush yards in a postseason as Kap did.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with the assessment(as should 100% of the faithful) but I personally felt the same thing, that he was an idiot for that one play in the NFC Chip game. Well he did it twice in the 4th but that comeback one was just.... awful. IMO again.