• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ranking the 2011 QB Class

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm confused why people think Cam is worse than second. How on Earth do you justify Dalton over him? Cam has identical passing stats with a worse supporting cast, all while managing to also run for 700 yards.

Agreed. I don't see how Cam is trending down. I never liked the guy, and I think he's a giant douche bag, but the guy is having one of the best two season starts ever for a QB.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They put him on IR because of his attitude. I say grant him his wish and move on. Not sure what his market value is at the moment, but they should be able to get something decent.

I'm sure we'd offer something decent for him.

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I would say that the 2005 wr for 49ers were just horrible, mcaddley, morton, lloyd, marshall, amey, battle, maxwell. I would take Harvin over any of those guys, just my thoughts though.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I would say that the 2005 wr for 49ers were just horrible, mcaddley, morton, lloyd, marshall, amey, battle, maxwell. I would take Harvin over any of those guys, just my thoughts though.

Thanks for saving me the effort...

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm confused why people think Cam is worse than second. How on Earth do you justify Dalton over him? Cam has identical passing stats with a worse supporting cast, all while managing to also run for 700 yards.

I don't know how true this is, but when Dalton was picked, Harbaugh either was upset Dalton wasn't available or just got paranoid that Kaep would be taken. So, it could be that Dalton was rated that high for Harbaugh, or not. Don't know unless someone can confirm, deny, or clarify. Either way, I think Niners fans are happy that Dalton was picked - it either sparked the trade up or we would have had him instead (with Harbaugh, Dalton would likely be better than he is). Kaep, anywhere else, would have to rely upon someone else being as open to Kaep's college system (because I think other coaches might have either forced him to go traditional more than we have or avoided it), being as good of a trainer, and not keeping him as a second rounder backup. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Kaep can't do traditional and I'm not saying we don't do traditional or that no other team would use the pistol a bit - it's just a risk to Kaep if he went anywhere else.

Oh, and I don't put Dalton over Cam, just trying to say why Dalton might actually be better than he looks if Harbaugh graded him around the same as Kaep.

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Ok, I don't see how Cam is having one of the best first couple of seasons ever. He had a below average year this season. And the talent level on the Panthers wasn't all that low.

Putting up a bunch of garbage yards last season doesn't equate to him having a good career so far.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Factoring in gigantic superhuman playoff feats, here's how I see the 2011 quarterbacks ranking:

1. Colin Kaepernick - turns out Smith's benching wasn't about Alex. It was about the unstoppable force behind him.
2. Andy Dalton - 2 playoff appearances in 2 years for a team that was 4-12 before him.
3. Cam Newton - Falling down this list. Only placing him 3rd out of peer pressure. The real number 3 is...
4. Christian Ponder - The last couple games leading into the playoffs showed Ponder is of merit.
5. Jake Locker - Hasn't done much, but he could probably play linebacker if QB doesn't work out.
6. Blaine Gabbert - Alex Smith's understudy next year?
7. T.J. Yates
8. Ryan Mallett
9. Ricky Stanzi
10. Greg McElroy
11. Tyrod Taylor
12. Nathan Enderbe - only unemployed QB of the class.

A pretty shitty class except for our boy.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, I don't see how Cam is having one of the best first couple of seasons ever. He had a below average year this season. And the talent level on the Panthers wasn't all that low.

Putting up a bunch of garbage yards last season doesn't equate to him having a good career so far.

How? Show me five QBs with a better two season start (stats wise):

58.9%, 9367 total yards, and 63 total TDs.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A pretty shitty class except for our boy.

It's actually a really good QB class. 5 starters in Kaep, Newton, Ponder, Dalton, and Locker. You have Mallett who is still waiting behind Brady. Yates showed some nice things last year in the playoffs. McElroy is a capable backup.

Show me a better QB class recently.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
How? Show me five QBs with a better two season start (stats wise):

58.9%, 9367 total yards, and 63 total TDs.

In 15 wins in the weakest division in the NFL. What I'm saying is that a bunch of garbage yards doesn't mean he's played well. His rookie year was excellent, but you can't have a below average sophmore season and still be considered as having one of the best 2 first seasons in the history of the league.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 15 wins in the weakest division in the NFL. What I'm saying is that a bunch of garbage yards doesn't mean he's played well. His rookie year was excellent, but you can't have a below average sophmore season and still be considered as having one of the best 2 first seasons in the history of the league.

Oh come on. Newton broke numerous rookie records. He didn't have as good of a year this year, but he's still putting up insane numbers for a guy his age. And let's not blame the lack of wins all on Newton. The Panthers had a horrible defense this year.

Look, I know the guy isn't easy to root for, but to say he hasn't had an impressive start to his career is just being dishonest.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
He didn't have as good of a year this year

He didn't even have an AVERAGE year this year.

I conceed his rookie year was great, but he hasn't shown the ability to put up any MEANINGFUL stats (like ones that cause wins) in a cream-puff division with a pretty good supporting cast.

I couldn't care less about yardage totals. The only people who care about that are Dolphins fans.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is also 2005 Brandon Lloyd. The guy who ducked out of the way of the pass intended for him. I don't even remember the rest of that bunch except for Battle. The team in 04 was just awful. At least in the bottom 5 of worst single-season teams ever.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn't even have an AVERAGE year this year.

I conceed his rookie year was great, but he hasn't shown the ability to put up any MEANINGFUL stats (like ones that cause wins) in a cream-puff division with a pretty good supporting cast.

I couldn't care less about yardage totals. The only people who care about that are Dolphins fans.

Oh God. You sound like a Tebow apologist.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Oh God. You sound like a Tebow apologist.

Let him have another year like his rookie year in a season in which he isn't playing from behind all the time, and I'll be a lot more impressed.

I'm impressed by the Ben Roethlisbergers of the NFL more than the Matt Ryans or Tony Romos.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this guy really serious? Please tell me how Newtons year this year wasn't average but his rookie year was great? He had 200 less passing yards, 2 less TD and 5 less INTs. His YPA went up and his QB rating was higher. He also had more running yards. How was this year below average but last year was great? Fucking moronic. And I'd love to see what Newton could do with the defense Roethlisberger has had and the WRs he has had.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know he plays from behind because his defense can't stop anyone right?

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this guy really serious? Please tell me how Newtons year this year wasn't average but his rookie year was great? He had 200 less passing yards, 2 less TD and 5 less INTs. His YPA went up and his QB rating was higher. He also had more running yards. How was this year below average but last year was great? Fucking moronic. And I'd love to see what Newton could do with the defense Roethlisberger has had and the WRs he has had.

Not speaking for him but just guessing that there are different standards year to year; you expect to see improvement and progression. Newton seemed like he regressed early though I think he came on at the end.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's actually a really good QB class. 5 starters in Kaep, Newton, Ponder, Dalton, and Locker. You have Mallett who is still waiting behind Brady. Yates showed some nice things last year in the playoffs. McElroy is a capable backup.

Show me a better QB class recently.

I don't think much of any of them except Kaepernick and Newton. As for a better class, one need look no further than 1983

John Elway
Dan Marino
Jim Kelly
Ken O'Brien
Todd Blackledge
Tony Eason
Gary Kubiak