• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ranking all 124 head coaches

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What have Kiffin, Leach, Kelly and Hoke done that puts them above Beamer? Kiffin had one year at UT where he got them in a bowl. Wow that's tough to do at UT I mean they're nobodies right? VT killed them in their bowl game that year by the way. Oh and he's had one good year at USC. Not hard to do again because it's USC who has been a powerhouse program for a long time. So 2 years coaching for Kiffin jumping in at already established big time programs. Yeah I can see how he's better than Beamer. No championships for Leach but winning records for 8-9 years in the Big 12 trumps Beamer. Just cause. Kelly wins the Big East ONCE (this is one of those shitty conferences Beamer has coached in remember) and takes over a loaded Notre Dame team that recruits itself no matter how bad they do and gets 2 8-win seasons out of them. AMAZING. Hoke comes into a program that has plenty of talent and gets them into a BCS bowl which VT dominated in every way except for the scoreboard BUT that one season is enough for him to jump Beamer. Plus no credit should go to their defensive coordinator since that was the big difference in their team. It must be Hoke. Ok just cause you say so. We know you hate VT because they took a dump on Nebraska twice recently but come on at least be halfway reasonable

chucksker

Chuck Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What have Kiffin, Leach, Kelly and Hoke done that puts them above Beamer? Kiffin had one year at UT where he got them in a bowl. Wow that's tough to do at UT I mean they're nobodies right? VT killed them in their bowl game that year by the way. Oh and he's had one good year at USC. Not hard to do again because it's USC who has been a powerhouse program for a long time. So 2 years coaching for Kiffin jumping in at already established big time programs. Yeah I can see how he's better than Beamer. No championships for Leach but winning records for 8-9 years in the Big 12 trumps Beamer. Just cause. Kelly wins the Big East ONCE (this is one of those shitty conferences Beamer has coached in remember) and takes over a loaded Notre Dame team that recruits itself no matter how bad they do and gets 2 8-win seasons out of them. AMAZING. Hoke comes into a program that has plenty of talent and gets them into a BCS bowl which VT dominated in every way except for the scoreboard BUT that one season is enough for him to jump Beamer. Plus no credit should go to their defensive coordinator since that was the big difference in their team. It must be Hoke. Ok just cause you say so. We know you hate VT because they took a dump on Nebraska twice recently but come on at least be halfway reasonable

ok first of all, to say that Hoke isn't one of the top 25 coaches in the nation is just stupid IMO (which is pretty much what you are saying based on Jed's previous statement). secondly he has said it MULTIPLE times, stop bringing up nebraska. this debate does not involve nebraska at all...it actually makes it look like you DONT know what your talking about if you bring them up precisely because they are not involved in this debate so you are just turning to attacking out team because its the only thing you can think of (ignore my massive run-on sentence please :D)

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, you have 6 of the national title winners, Saban, Meyer, Miles, Stoops, Spurrier, and Brown (in no particular order). Then you have Chris Peterson, Chip Kelly, Gary Patterson, Bill Snyder, Mark Dantonio, Mike Leach, Brian Kelly, Lane Kiffin, Brady Hoke, and Pat Fitzgerald who are all clearly better coaches than Beamer in my opinion. That makes Beamer 17 at the highest and in the next group of coaches in my opinion which are Mike Gundy, Bret Bielema, Mark Richt, Bronco Mendenhall, Paul Johnson, Kyle Wittingham, Chris Ault, Troy Calhoun, Butch Jones, Steve Sarkisian, and Art Briles. I believe that in that group, Mark Richt, Mike Gundy, and Bret Bielema are all ahead of Beamer. Some of the others I could make an argument for to be ahead of Beamer but wouldn't be overly mad if Beamer stayed above them. So Beamer is number 20 at the highest in my ever so humble opinion.

If you're really going to argue that Brian Kelly, Lane Kiffin, Mike Leach, Paul Johnson (wtf?), Bronco Mendenhall, Chris Ault, Mike Gundy, Troy Calhoun, Butch Jones, Steve Sarkisian, and Art Briles all ahead of Frank Beamer, I can't help but think you are just trolling. I think this thread had some potential, but this is ridiculous now.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone tried to say that lots of times when you play top teams you may end up being lower ranked and be an underdog. Since 1995 VD is 168-51. 26 of those 51 losses were to unranked teams. In 21 of those 26 losses VD was ranked in the top 20. Only 11 of those 26 losses were true road games. Since 1995 VD is 5-16 vs top 10 teams. In 15 of those 21 games VD was also ranked in the top 10. So they may have still been underdogs but they were still deemed a top 10 team.

We've played (and lost) a lot of neutral site games to very highly ranked teams.

What was our record as a favorite? As an underdog?

I hate Mack Brown with an absolute passion and yes he has done less with more at Texas but add in what he did at Tulane and North Carolina and he is a top 10 coach.

What exactly DID mack brown do of note at North Carolina?

Other coaches I would put ahead of Beamer. Mark Dantonio (I think he is a GREAT coach!!!),

cool. Not a better coach by any quantitative measure, though.

Mike Leach (Led TT to be the only Big 12 school with a winning record every year of the conference),
Yet still struggled to find work. Again, looking for something to quantify him being 'better'

Brian Kelly (look what he did at Grand Valley St, Central Mich, and Cincy. He will build ND back up!!!),

Of course, Lou.

Lane Kiffin (He may be shady as hell but he is a GREAT coach),

:noidea:

I could go on, but you just continue to list coaches that you say you like, yet no real quantifiable numbers vs. Beamer where you can say outright, "this guy is definitely a better coach"

VD is tied for the 3rd best winning percentage since 1995. But they have also built up those victories in 2 terrible conferences during that span and soft non conference schedules.

Soft non conference like Texas A&M x2, LSU x2 (national champs), Nebraska x2, Southern Cal (national champs), Alabama (national champs), Boise St., West Va (a bunch), Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, etc.

We typically have a very competitive strength of schedule.

60-10 in the non conference during that span with only 13 of those being against ranked teams. A 7-10 bowl record and only 2-6 in BCS games.

How many losses were to non ranked teams, or losses when we were the favorite?

And what's the deal with the VD thing? I'm really not sure why u so mad

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
ok first of all, to say that Hoke isn't one of the top 25 coaches in the nation is just stupid IMO (which is pretty much what you are saying based on Jed's previous statement). secondly he has said it MULTIPLE times, stop bringing up nebraska. this debate does not involve nebraska at all...it actually makes it look like you DONT know what your talking about if you bring them up precisely because they are not involved in this debate so you are just turning to attacking out team because its the only thing you can think of (ignore my massive run-on sentence please :D)

I'm pretty sure it does because there is some clear bias here. He points out flaws in Beamers career some of which I can agree with but the names he puts above and around Beamer are pathetic and so are the explanations

chucksker

Chuck Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thats his opinion on a coach though...that still has absolutely nothing to do with Nebraska....if he hates coaches Nebraska loses to so much then why has he consistently said that Mack Brown is ahead of Beamer?

goDAWGSsicem

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Homerish I know... but Richt should be above atleast a few of the guys they have ahead of him.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If USC is as good as everyone expects them to be this year, then I will agree that Lane Kiffin is a decent coach.

If they underachieve, then he is just average in a less than average conference.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If USC is as good as everyone expects them to be this year, then I will agree that Lane Kiffin is a decent coach.

If they underachieve, then he is just average in a less than average conference.

Why? Among other things USC has the best QB in the nation and arguably the best WR in the nation. Kiffin had nothing to do with that. He just showed up

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC will be USC this year. It really should take more of a Phil Jackson "managing of ego's" style of coaching more than anything. I think He's capable of that. And that is respectable.

I don't think Bo or Frank could manage the egos USC hauls in. They're too alpha male.

The way I saw that defense playing in their last game... They had the right attitude.

I'm not just repeating some analyst's opinion.

You want to talk about all americans at every level.... USC right now has just as much or more talent than Alabama does. Kiffin has managed to recruit on par for USC despite the sanctions.

They should be title contenders if they keep the same "I smell blood in the water" attitude they had at the end of the year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
idk... In the CCG I saw their DB's standing over people when they made their tackles. Matt barkley and that receiving corps.... They could easily go undefeated in the pac 12...

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC didn't play in their conference championship game. They were on probation.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep it was the UCLA game I was thinking of...

This one:

[YOUTUBE]sx1lu-mb878[/YOUTUBE]

50-0

jedburks

The Bad Guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I will not debate people that can't fucking read!!!! For the last time, I couldn't give 2 shits about VD beating Nebraska a couple years ago. That means as much to me as the ass pounding we gave Drunkenmiller over a decade ago. I don't care. That has nothing to do with my opinion of your over hyped coach. When you can actually have a real discussion with resorting to that stupidity then come back to me.

You VD fans are the ones that want to disregard the first handful of seasons by a coach just to make him look better so since Bo was only in his first couple seasons those games against VD dont count. Those are your rules not mine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will not debate people that can't fucking read!!!! For the last time, I couldn't give 2 shits about VD beating Nebraska a couple years ago. That means as much to me as the ass pounding we gave Drunkenmiller over a decade ago. I don't care. That has nothing to do with my opinion of your over hyped coach. When you can actually have a real discussion with resorting to that stupidity then come back to me.

You VD fans are the ones that want to disregard the first handful of seasons by a coach just to make him look better so since Bo was only in his first couple seasons those games against VD dont count. Those are your rules not mine.

:drum:

jedburks

The Bad Guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're really going to argue that Brian Kelly, Lane Kiffin, Mike Leach, Paul Johnson (wtf?), Bronco Mendenhall, Chris Ault, Mike Gundy, Troy Calhoun, Butch Jones, Steve Sarkisian, and Art Briles all ahead of Frank Beamer, I can't help but think you are just trolling. I think this thread had some potential, but this is ridiculous now.

I won't argue that Brian Kelly, Lane Kiffin, and Mike Leach are ahead of Beamer. They just flat out are ahead of Beamer so the argument is pointless. As for the other coaches you listed, I believe there could be an argument made for them but not a slam dunk like the others.