• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ranking all 124 head coaches

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stats prove nothing? mmmkray...

Nebraska's stats through the Callahan era and the Pelini tell me alot about the program. In fact those stats bring me reality.

I understand you being defensive of Beamer because he's been a rock for Blacksburg. Give Jed a chance to explain why he believes he's not Top 10 tho.

Stats are extremely misleading. Beamer had some awful teams when he started that really skewed the stats. Stats also only show a small piece of a story. They don't show how he brought a program from the dump to a perennial top 15 team with inferior talent most of the time. They don't show how he put the school as a whole in the national spotlight. They don't show the character of the players he has put out over the years. They don't show the constant improvement over the past 20 years. If you believe stats are the tell all on a topic then you are very mistaken sir. :nono:

Jed did give his reason why he is not a top 10 coach in his original post, a bunch of stats.

Oh and Jed, that "growth" is a skin graft from when he was burned badly.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stats are extremely misleading. Beamer had some awful teams when he started that really skewed the stats. Stats also only show a small piece of a story. They don't show how he brought a program from the dump to a perennial top 15 team with inferior talent most of the time. They don't show how he put the school as a whole in the national spotlight. They don't show the character of the players he has put out over the years. They don't show the constant improvement over the past 20 years. If you believe stats are the tell all on a topic then you are very mistaken sir. :nono:

Jed did give his reason why he is not a top 10 coach in his original post, a bunch of stats.

Oh and Jed, that "growth" is a skin graft from when he was burned badly.

His start up stats should be thrown out to make it fair to Beamer. I generally give a coach 4-5 years to put his signature on a down program.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I threw out his first 5 years at VT and that makes him 187-66 at VT. 103-42 in the BE and 84-24 in the ACC. Finished Top 10 7 of 20 years and top 20 16 of 20 years.

A pretty impressive resume of winning with consistency but I would have to look at what else is out there to determine top 10 coach or not. We know 7 that already beat him because they have a Natty. he is definitely a contender though.

chucksker

Chuck Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hmmm, this is a tough one just taking a quick scan of their top 20.

There's only 2 outside of the Top 10 I'd absolutely put above him.

11. Bill Snyder - Brought K state out of the depths of CFB...retired...came back and has them competing. The guy does more with less. Imagine what he could do with Texas talent.
16. Mack Brown - Who actually has a crystal ball (ignoring the last 2 years of a young team and asst coaching changes)

I can't put Gundy ahead of him.

I really don't see anyone else outside the Top 10 I'd put above him. So I'd rank him 11 with just a quick glance. I like their style of football and their demeanor.

I have to disagree with you on Mack brown. I think he is one of the most overrated coaches out there. No coach does less with more than him IMO

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I threw out his first 5 years at VT and that makes him 187-66 at VT. 103-42 in the BE and 84-24 in the ACC. Finished Top 10 7 of 20 years and top 20 16 of 20 years.

A pretty impressive resume of winning with consistency but I would have to look at what else is out there to determine top 10 coach or not. We know 7 that already beat him because they have a Natty. he is definitely a contender though.

Good plorst.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to disagree with you on Mack brown. I think he is one of the most overrated coaches out there. No coach does less with more than him IMO

Take into consideration players leaving early for the NFL, assistants being pilaged by other programs, and playing in the Big 12 south division tho.

His last two years are not a good litmus test.

He put something together down there, navigated the waters, beat one of the best teams money could buy at USC and brought a crystal ball back to Texas. Good enough for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
College football coach rankings: Alabama's Nick Saban tops list of 124 coaches - NCAA Football - Sporting News

Ok, so Sporting News ranked the head coaches 1-124. As dumb as a list as this is I have to vent.

Frank Beamer being anywhere near the top 10 of coaches in football is an absolute joke!!!! This dude is the most over rated coach in all of sports.

Beamer is 18-33-1 vs ranked non conference teams
7-30 vs top 10 teams
1-19 vs top 5 teams
28-38 vs top 20 teams
2-6 in BCS bowl games
7-11 in bowl games

This is far from a resume of a top 10 coach!!!!!

He builds up a ton of victories playing in a terrible Big East in the past and a terrible ACC now.

And that "Beamer Ball" bullshit? What a crock of shit!!!!!!!! Over the last 5 years Virginia Tech has blocked 14 kicks. That is tied for 28th in the country with 11 other teams. Some of the teams in front of VT. Fresno St, Rutgers, Marshall, Buffalo, SMU, Southern Mississippi, Temple, Air Force, Tulsa, Middle Tennessee St, North Texas, Bowling Green, Wyoming, Northern Illinois, Eastern Michigan, Florida International, Louisiana Tech, Louisiana Lafayette, Akron, Florida Atlantic, Ohio, East Carolina, and a few other big name schools. But still to this day, all you hear about is Beamer Ball this and Beamer Ball that. Give me a fucking break!!!!!!!!

Just because he has a fucked up growth on his neck doesn't mean we have to give him sympathy points and think he is a great coach.

God I fucking hate that douchebag!!!!!!!!

Ok, now I am done. Thank you.

BTW, all you VD, I mean VT, fans that want to come after me about their over rated coach, don't come at me about Nebraska and Bo. I am not a Bo fan anyway so that doesn't matter. Plus, this is about your trumped up coach that is a complete and total fraud.

Just a quick fly by to let all you VD fans know that I will not be avoiding your inane responses today. I have a long day at work and a big night tonight so I probably won't respond until tomorrow.

Here is my issue. There is an age limit to join this board. We are all assumed to be over 18 years of age. I wanted to come on here and talk more about what the program was before Beamer (I am a third generation Hokie and know life pre-Beamer) and how he came in to hefty sanctions, yet made the program a perennial conference champion and top 20 team. I wanted to look at the stats over the past 5, 10, 15 years compared to other programs. I wanted to talk about his complete lack on any even hint of sanctions while he was here. I wanted to talk about the bowl streak (third longest current streak) and the ten win streak (longest current streak).

It is a decent debate, but after all of the shit that has gone down in the past few days here on SportsHoopla, I am just done with this. SportsHoopla is starting to resemble ESPN with the flame wars and shit talk.

Jed, grow the fuck up and act like an adult.

The rest of you Nebraska fans. I love you all, and even the ones that I have had heated debates with it has always stayed above board, for the most part. I am just not feeling this guy. Nebraska is a program that I have the utmost respect for. Your fans were welcoming and nice in Lincoln. They were equally friendly and engaging in Blacksburg. I have never been around a fanbase that asked so many questions about the campus and showed such respect and honest interest in the school. You and your program are all class. I apologize for the rant, but the last few days have sucked here, and I am just done with the unintelligent trash talk.

My Hokie brethren can take this one on, but is it really worth it.

FNG

Chiefs Baby Chiefs!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@46&2 Jed is just joking with some of his comments but he does bring alot to the boards.

Fumble_Rooskie

Big Red Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside of the Huskers the Hokies may very well be my next favorite team. I like Beamer too and think he's the best thing to ever happen to that school.

That being said, you can pick 50 different ways of looking at stats to try and justify who's a better coach.

Bo has won 9 or more games each of his first four seasons; he's only the sixth first time coach to ever do that. It's an impressive stat and I could use that as an argument for him but he hasn't proved he can win the big ones yet, so it's no surprise he's not in the top ten.

But I don't think Beamer is either; he's very close though. He's worth the ton of respect people give him (except obviously Jed) and he's done a job with that school that I would only compare to the likes of guys like Bill Snyder or Bob Devaney.

I just have a hard time ranking some of these coaches very high - like Mack Brown, as others point to. With all the talent he has, he should have had a national title every other year, but he hasn't. That doesn't make him a bad coach either, just status quo.

Now if these writers would do a ranking of coaches who brought back programs or brought up perennial doormats to perennial powerhouses and I think you have a better argument when using stats.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
College football coach rankings: Alabama's Nick Saban tops list of 124 coaches - NCAA Football - Sporting News

Ok, so Sporting News ranked the head coaches 1-124. As dumb as a list as this is I have to vent.

Frank Beamer being anywhere near the top 10 of coaches in football is an absolute joke!!!! This dude is the most over rated coach in all of sports.

He's got a pretty good streak of 10 win seasons going, which is remarkable in Division I football.

He has brought a program that occasionally made the top 25 and made them a perennial top 25 program. I think one could easily make the case that the program is still improving under his leadership.

Lastly, if he weren't pretty good, he'd likely have escaped any notice from you. Funny that you're still feeling the effects of the last VT-Nebraska football matchup.

Rocky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Currently, VT has the longest 10 win season streak in the country.

The winningest team in football in the past 15 years is VT.

VT was leading in the Nat Championship Game going into the 4th quarter vs FSU

During Bama's first of the recent two championships, VT came the closest to beating them that year (not Auburn, LSU, GA, or any other team on their schedule)

VT had Boise down with under two minutes left in their game, if memory serves correctly.

We beat the huskers two years in a row, at their place, if memory serves correctly. One of those games, our QB got injured on the very first play, and we managed to pull off the road win in spite.

That's off the top of the head, so might be some minor inaccuracies.

Despite the score and some questionable officiating in the Sugar Bowl last year, we did kick their asses all over the field. They do have a better fight song though.

The winningest active head coach in the country is at VT.

Which BCS bowl were you guys in last year Jed?

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:pound:

Last edited by a moderator:

chucksker

Chuck Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Currently, VT has the longest 10 win season streak in the country.

The winningest team in football in the past 15 years is VT.

VT was leading in the Nat Championship Game going into the 4th quarter vs FSU

During Bama's first of the recent two championships, VT came the closest to beating them that year (not Auburn, LSU, GA, or any other team on their schedule)

VT had Boise down with under two minutes left in their game, if memory serves correctly.

We beat the huskers two years in a row, at their place, if memory serves correctly. One of those games, our QB got injured on the very first play, and we managed to pull off the road win in spite.

That's off the top of the head, so might be some minor inaccuracies.

Despite the score and some questionable officiating in the Sugar Bowl last year, we did kick their asses all over the field. They do have a better fight song though.

The winningest active head coach in the country is at VT.

Which BCS bowl were you guys in last year Jed?

i hate to be THAT guy but you weren't in a BCS bowl either....the team you support was. however, i do believe you just assraped Jed, and for that you get reps

jedburks

The Bad Guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, where do I begin? I could go post by post and refute all you VD fans but I will just try to sum it all up here. After this then maybe I will go back and cherry pick a few of you.

Yes stats can be very misleading. But that is mainly when you don't use the entire body of work. Like you VD fans, you want to disregard Frank's first 8 seasons? Well ok, I guess I will give you that considering what he pulled that program from. But if we disregard Beamer's first 8 seasons then none of Bo's first 4 seasons so far matter and that means those VD wins over Nebraska don't matter. Like I said before though, I don't care about where Bo is at on this list and as someone pointed out, I am not a Husker suck up homer.

Someone tried to say that lots of times when you play top teams you may end up being lower ranked and be an underdog. Since 1995 VD is 168-51. 26 of those 51 losses were to unranked teams. In 21 of those 26 losses VD was ranked in the top 20. Only 11 of those 26 losses were true road games. Since 1995 VD is 5-16 vs top 10 teams. In 15 of those 21 games VD was also ranked in the top 10. So they may have still been underdogs but they were still deemed a top 10 team.

The coaching list is about an entire body of work. Someone earlier said that the 7 coaches that have national titles should be 1-7. Well I kind of disagree with that because Gene Chizik may have won a national title but come on. A top 7 coach? NO WAY!!!!!! I would probably put Beamer ahead of Chizik. I hate Mack Brown with an absolute passion and yes he has done less with more at Texas but add in what he did at Tulane and North Carolina and he is a top 10 coach. VD fans want to tought what Beamer build VD from? I see your Beamer reclamation job and I raise you BILL FREAKING SNYDER!!!!!!!! I don't even need to explain this one!!!! He is a top 10 coach. He is a jerk but he is a top 10 coach. Other coaches I would put ahead of Beamer. Mark Dantonio (I think he is a GREAT coach!!!), Mike Leach (Led TT to be the only Big 12 school with a winning record every year of the conference), Brian Kelly (look what he did at Grand Valley St, Central Mich, and Cincy. He will build ND back up!!!), Lane Kiffin (He may be shady as hell but he is a GREAT coach), Brady Hoke (Ball St, San Diego St, and now Michigan. Dude can COACH!!!), Pat Fitzgerald (screw the records, absolutely no one does more with less than Fitz does. If he wasn't an alum of NW then he would be at a big time school and be winning BIG). There are other guys that I think are close but the 6 national title coaches not named Chizik and the other above mentioned coaches are all better than Beamer. Other coaches have a good debate.

VD is tied for the 3rd best winning percentage since 1995. But they have also built up those victories in 2 terrible conferences during that span and soft non conference schedules. 60-10 in the non conference during that span with only 13 of those being against ranked teams. A 7-10 bowl record and only 2-6 in BCS games.

Ultimately, measuring a coach is about wins and losses. Beamer has a bunch of wins, but the quality is just not there to be a top 10 coach.

And apparently for those of you VD fans that are hard of hearing, or I guess it would be the lack of reading comprehension skills, the fact that you beat Nebraska back to back years a few years ago and that Bo hasn't won anything doesn't mean jack shit to me in this argument. I couldn't fucking care less. I am not a Bo fan and I never have been as a head coach. I hope that I can grow into a fan of his because that would mean that Nebraska is successful. I hope he wins every game but I know that he wont.

For those of you VD fans that want to go on and on about close wins against good teams here and that you were beating certain teams with 2 minutes to go, shut the fuck up!!!! What ended up happening in those games? You LOST!!!!!!! Bottom line business fellas!!!!!

jedburks

The Bad Guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i hate to be THAT guy but you weren't in a BCS bowl either....the team you support was. however, i do believe you just assraped Jed, and for that you get reps

HAHAHAHAHAHA, I got "assraped" and you claimed that VD was not in a BCS game last year? Let's see, Michigan beat who in the Sugar Bowl? Oh yeah, VD!!!! Sugar Bowl is what? Oh yeah, a BCS bowl game.

Bend over Chuck, here comes an ass raping!!!

chucksker

Chuck Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HAHAHAHAHAHA, I got "assraped" and you claimed that VD was not in a BCS game last year? Let's see, Michigan beat who in the Sugar Bowl? Oh yeah, VD!!!! Sugar Bowl is what? Oh yeah, a BCS bowl game.

Bend over Chuck, here comes an ass raping!!!

....dude you misread...it was a joke that he wasn't LITERALLY in the BCS bowl, the TEAM he supports was in the BCS bowl, but HE wasn't:L