• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ranking a decade of QB busts

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure about Rosen. I would sign him if I were an owner. He went to 2 of the worst teams.
It's still too early in his career to consider him a bust.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vikes he was a run and gun QB. If the first option wasn't there, he did not care. The biggest saving grace he had was not being able to fully suit up for a 2nd year... where every defender in the NFL would've easily been able to play his 'game'. One of the most overrated QBs of all time that was 'taken out by an injury'.

Kaep and Vick were both effective for more than one year and only had their careers derailed by their own stupidity (moreso with Vick). I don't see why RGIII, who is much smarter than either of them, couldn't have done the same thing. Guys improve after spending time in the league.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaep and Vick were both effective for more than one year and only had their careers derailed by their own stupidity (moreso with Vick). I don't see why RGIII, who is much smarter than either of them, couldn't have done the same thing. Guys improve after spending time in the league.

Vick was 'effective' for literally one year. The year he stayed healthy and the Falcons went 11-5... and didn't even make the SuperBowl. Vick is one of the most ridiculous Madden video game players of all time, but he was NOT a good QB... completely terrible #1 overall pick. Electric yes, fun to watch? Absolutely. Did I love watching Vick play? Yep... would I want him running my team? NOPE.

As for Kaep... Kaep had a couple good years with one of the better defenses in the league. He was a worse passer than Jimmy Garpaorlrorlrol with legs... and once the pistol formation died out and was 'found out', only Russell Wilson adapted.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because it's the offseason and I'm bored. From 2011-2020, how would I rank 1st round QBs that have busted? Let's find out.

1. Winston - TB, 2015 draft
2. Griffin - WAS, 2012 draft
3. Bortles - JAX, 2014 draft
4. Mariota, TEN 2015 draft
5. Gabbert - JAX, 2011 draft
6. Rosen - AZ, 2018 draft
7. Weeden - CLE, 2012 draft
8. Manuel - BUF, 2013 draft
9. Ponder - MIN, 2011 draft
10. Lynch - DEN, 2016 draft
11. Locker - TEN, 2011 draft
12. Manziel - CLE, 2014 draft

Went from who I thought is best to worst. Winston had the longest chance to prove he isn't a bust, but I don't think he did so.

Griffin, Bortles, and Mariota all had playoff appearances, but didn't do much with them.

Rosen is the only one I've included from 2017 onward because most of those guys haven't yet had enough time to prove bust status. Tubisky was next closest, but I say give him one more year. Either way, Rosen is clearly a bust.

Weeden should never have been a first round pick. Way to old to be taken that early. Bad job, Cleveland.

EJ Manuel was the only 1st round QB from 2013 and he shouldn't have been a 1st round pick. Not a great year to draft a QB.

Ponder, Locker, and Gabbert were all drafted in the 1st round of 2011. Just way too many QB hungry teams in 2011 really led to these guys getting way overdrafted. But at least Gabbert cut out a niche for himself to be a clipboard holder for quite a while.

Paxton Lynch was unmotivated to make himself a good QB; flamed out really quickly.

And of course Johnny Football was Johnny Football. Bad job, Cleveland.
true story about EJ Manuel.

E.J. Manuel becomes first NFL QB to lose a game in three countries

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RG3 had a decent rookie season but then Shanahan ran him into the ground and the kid never learned to slide.

Run-first QBs do OK in college and then get their bodies destroyed in the NFL. That's why pocket passers last longer.

Where would Tebow go on this list? He's kind of a strange fit for the position. Really, he was more of a halfback who threw a pass every now and then. He even won a playoff game. But, Belichick figured him out, and Denver's odd game plan and season came to an end.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Run-first QBs do OK in college and then get their bodies destroyed in the NFL. That's why pocket passers last longer.

Where would Tebow go on this list? He's kind of a strange fit for the position. Really, he was more of a halfback who threw a pass every now and then. He even won a playoff game. But, Belichick figured him out, and Denver's odd game plan and season came to an end.
he threw like a RB as well

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because it's the offseason and I'm bored. From 2011-2020, how would I rank 1st round QBs that have busted? Let's find out.

1. Winston - TB, 2015 draft
2. Griffin - WAS, 2012 draft
3. Bortles - JAX, 2014 draft
4. Mariota, TEN 2015 draft
5. Gabbert - JAX, 2011 draft
6. Rosen - AZ, 2018 draft
7. Weeden - CLE, 2012 draft
8. Manuel - BUF, 2013 draft
9. Ponder - MIN, 2011 draft
10. Lynch - DEN, 2016 draft
11. Locker - TEN, 2011 draft
12. Manziel - CLE, 2014 draft

Went from who I thought is best to worst. Winston had the longest chance to prove he isn't a bust, but I don't think he did so.

Griffin, Bortles, and Mariota all had playoff appearances, but didn't do much with them.

Rosen is the only one I've included from 2017 onward because most of those guys haven't yet had enough time to prove bust status. Tubisky was next closest, but I say give him one more year. Either way, Rosen is clearly a bust.

Weeden should never have been a first round pick. Way to old to be taken that early. Bad job, Cleveland.

EJ Manuel was the only 1st round QB from 2013 and he shouldn't have been a 1st round pick. Not a great year to draft a QB.

Ponder, Locker, and Gabbert were all drafted in the 1st round of 2011. Just way too many QB hungry teams in 2011 really led to these guys getting way overdrafted. But at least Gabbert cut out a niche for himself to be a clipboard holder for quite a while.

Paxton Lynch was unmotivated to make himself a good QB; flamed out really quickly.

And of course Johnny Football was Johnny Football. Bad job, Cleveland.

You could add "Can't Get Right 0-2 Jackson" to that failed playoff lineup too....

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RG3 had a decent rookie season but then Shanahan ran him into the ground and the kid never learned to slide.
Fucking Shanghan. He left RG in the PO game against the Seahawks. That was not only bad, but desperate decision making. Probably ruined the QB.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fucking Shanghan. He left RG in the PO game against the Seahawks. That was not only bad, but desperate decision making. Probably ruined the QB.

Too me it seemed like fame and adverts like the Subway commercials were going to his head, kind of like Manziel w/o the partying. He was decent coming out of Baylor, but I never thought of him as a great QB, more of the track star he was. Guy was too little to depend on his legs, w/o knowing how to slide , so he wouldn't be taking the beatings