• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

rangers trade thoughts........

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Daniels traded away young talent for a rental to get a wildcard. The division is the prize. August and September baseball are all about pitching and defense. To overtake Oakland it isn't about getting another bat and or losing Cruz.
The answer which nobody likes to hear would be to give up prospects and take on 70 million in salary. Cliff Lee, Darvish, Garza, Holland and Harrison/Lewis down the stretch could get it done but I don't think it will happen.
If the Rangers were tied for first it might work but way too risky being maybe 5 out tonite.

Sadly the only impact player on the market is a pitcher. But man that's an awesome rotation. No way they tale on 70 million in salary

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers mull move with Nathan
Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports reported that the Rangers are considering the possibility of trading closer Joe Nathan. A Major League source confirmed the report saying that it has been talked about a little. The source said, “doubt it happens” but the Rangers will consider it if somebody “really values” him.

The Rangers, according to a source, are checking out every bat with a pulse trying to upgrade their offense. Nathan is signed through this season with an option for 2014. He remains one of the premier closers in the game at age 38.

It’s the season of rumors but this is something the Rangers have tossed about. They are looking at everything.

From TR Sullivan

Sexy

Emotion in Motion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers mull move with Nathan
Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports reported that the Rangers are considering the possibility of trading closer Joe Nathan. A Major League source confirmed the report saying that it has been talked about a little. The source said, “doubt it happens” but the Rangers will consider it if somebody “really values” him.

The Rangers, according to a source, are checking out every bat with a pulse trying to upgrade their offense. Nathan is signed through this season with an option for 2014. He remains one of the premier closers in the game at age 38.

It’s the season of rumors but this is something the Rangers have tossed about. They are looking at everything.

From TR Sullivan
From that, it seems as if it is just a small possibility...not something they have a plan laid out for.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im telling yall... try to get the prospects you gave away in the MG trade by trading nelly... he would immediately become the best hitter on the market. Do that and just wait it out til next year. Sure, its not gonna be popular with the fans, but right now its the smartest move. We aren't gonna resign him and we SURE as hell aren't winning a WS, so why keep him? Get what you can from him, and use those prospects to get a big time hitter this winter

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would not be opposed at all to the idea of trading Joe Nathan. Soria is a long-time proven closer who can be just as dominant as Nathan, if not more.

What I AM opposed to is the Rangers receiving overpaid mediocre trash like Crawford or Ethier in return. Neither one has been remotely relevant in the last few years, and we already have enough outfielders who can't hit. Therein lies the trouble with trading Nathan for a bat. Contenders aren't going to give the Rangers anyone who can hit enough to warrant losing Nathan, and non-contenders don't have the need to trade for a closer. Detroit needs a closer, but they're not parting with Austin Jackson. Boston needs one too, but Uehara has filled that role well enough to where they probably wouldn't even give the Rangers Nava, much less someone like Ellsbury or even Napoli to DH. Oakland, Baltimore, Tampa Bay, Atlanta, St. Louis, and Cincy are pretty well set at closer. No thanks to what LA, Arizona, or Pittsburgh could offer.

I have a feeling that JD thinks the Rangers are much closer to a championship team than a total rebuild team, so I would bet they will still be buyers at the deadline. Even despite their absolutely horrid and embarrassing stretches this year, often resembling a minor league team, they are still easily within reach of both the division and wild card titles. Baseball can be a very, very fickle and weird game, so I'm not writing off the team despite the evidence to the contrary. Hitting is very contagious. Bad hitting begets more bad hitting by everyone, as we're seeing now. But good hitting even by just 1-2 guys can have a trickle-down effect through the lineup. Maybe they add a hot bat and maybe even just 1-2 others get hot. That could be all it takes. Not likely, but also not out of the question.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would not be opposed at all to the idea of trading Joe Nathan. Soria is a long-time proven closer who can be just as dominant as Nathan, if not more.

What I AM opposed to is the Rangers receiving overpaid mediocre trash like Crawford or Ethier in return. Neither one has been remotely relevant in the last few years, and we already have enough outfielders who can't hit. Therein lies the trouble with trading Nathan for a bat. Contenders aren't going to give the Rangers anyone who can hit enough to warrant losing Nathan, and non-contenders don't have the need to trade for a closer. Detroit needs a closer, but they're not parting with Austin Jackson. Boston needs one too, but Uehara has filled that role well enough to where they probably wouldn't even give the Rangers Nava, much less someone like Ellsbury or even Napoli to DH. Oakland, Baltimore, Tampa Bay, Atlanta, St. Louis, and Cincy are pretty well set at closer. No thanks to what LA, Arizona, or Pittsburgh could offer.

I have a feeling that JD thinks the Rangers are much closer to a championship team than a total rebuild team, so I would bet they will still be buyers at the deadline. Even despite their absolutely horrid and embarrassing stretches this year, often resembling a minor league team, they are still easily within reach of both the division and wild card titles. Baseball can be a very, very fickle and weird game, so I'm not writing off the team despite the evidence to the contrary. Hitting is very contagious. Bad hitting begets more bad hitting by everyone, as we're seeing now. But good hitting even by just 1-2 guys can have a trickle-down effect through the lineup. Maybe they add a hot bat and maybe even just 1-2 others get hot. That could be all it takes. Not likely, but also not out of the question.

I just dont see the point for going for it. Even if we get it we aren't going anywhere. I mean, what is Rios gonna turn this season around? Hell no. Sell nelly, get as good of prospects as you can, and trade for a power hitting OF next year using the prospects you acquired + some others. Resign Garza and sign Ellsbury. Its as simple as that pretty much.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just dont see the point for going for it. Even if we get it we aren't going anywhere. I mean, what is Rios gonna turn this season around? Hell no. Sell nelly, get as good of prospects as you can, and trade for a power hitting OF next year using the prospects you acquired + some others. Resign Garza and sign Ellsbury. Its as simple as that pretty much.

What do you mean we aren't going anywhere? It's a crap shoot once you get to the playoffs

BLeslie59Rangers

I hate the Angels...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A contender will not part with a key member of its offense to acquire Nathan....a Nava, Jackson, not likely. Although I thought about the idea of Torii Hunter....here's another thought and I may get run out of town for this...how about Matt Tuiasosopo (a LF and a heck of a bat, and cheap!) - some other talent would have to come with him...Smyly?? probably getting into dream world with that one given Nathan's age and contract status....but something along those lines....

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
who is in contention that needs a closer and can part with a bat?
WTF is going on...
Sellers?

Oh my

the rangers are looking at the fact they have Soria, Oganda and Feliz (who is expected to return in a month)to step in as closer

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can understand what Terps is saying in a way. Last year I wanted us to trade Hamilton just so we would get something in return because I really did not want him back on the team. We were in 1st and he had these ridiculous stats bolstered by his first two months of the season and I caught all kinds of grief for it. I am just not sure what we would get for Nelly with the PEDS suspension looming. And Soria is not a lock on doing what Nathan has done in the closer's role. We need to lock up Garza so that we are not playing just for this year. We take our chances with what we have and go to war in the off season to bolster this team for next year. I am not saying throw in the towel. But I am saying make sure that whatever we get is worth what we are giving up. I still think we can be very dangerous if we can get ourselves into the playoffs.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw that Roughned Odor is now 2nd in the league in hitting and 1st in doubles. I remember when we had a team that could churn out those doubles.

Eriko212121

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect JD to go out and get a bigger name than those floating around like Rios, although I would be happy with him. Nelly is getting 50 games, you can book that. They gave Braun more than 50 and are about to drop 162 on ARoid. Once they are done with him, they will drop the hammer on all the rest. If we don't make a trade for a bat, and Nelly is suspended for 50, we would need a rotation of Yu, Kershaw, Verlander, King Felix and Price to have a chance to win the West
After watching last nights game, I'm revising the rotation we'd need to make the playoffs if Nelly is suspended to an in their prime Walter Johnson, Randy Johnson, Nolan Ryan, Sandy Koufax and Steve Carlton

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really doubt Nathan will be traded.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A Rod about to be suspended til the end of 2014. This doesn't spell well for Nelly. There starting to hand them down. He's not gonna last the season. Get rid of him and whoever else while you can JD

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A Rod about to be suspended til the end of 2014. This doesn't spell well for Nelly. There starting to hand them down. He's not gonna last the season. Get rid of him and whoever else while you can JD

Nelly won't be worth anything right now if he has to serve his suspension this season which won't happen. He will appeal is suspension and it will likely carry into the off season. Other GM's are smart and not oblivious to Nelly's situation.

1prboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN.com is reporting that the Rangers and Phillies have had very preliminary talks about possibly bringing Michael Young back to Texas. For the love of god I hope they don't do something that stupid.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN.com is reporting that the Rangers and Phillies have had very preliminary talks about possibly bringing Michael Young back to Texas. For the love of god I hope they don't do something that stupid.

Man I really don't see that happening. But then again desperate times calls for desperate measures and they wouldn't be giving up much of anything to get him back here. It would have to be a little awkward for Young coming back.