• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers to battle the Tribe 5-30,31,6-1

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the very minimum, Banister needs to sit Prince for a few days to a week. Let him watch some awful vid of his at bats and hit the cages. This is basic stuff and what Boston's coaching staff did with Poppy a couple of years back and helped him come back to form. Again, a basic approach most managers use but Banister is not doing.

I wonder how our hitters would perform w a hitting coach like Chili Davis or even Edgar Martinez? Not that most of them aren't doing ok, especially Mazara and the catchers so far, but it just intrigues me a little what theyve done for that young Sox team and the M's so far

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh and I do really enjoy these 5pm games!

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers' Sam Dyson: Picks up sxith save in abbreviated outing
by RotoWire Staff | RotoWire
Dyson recorded the final two outs Tuesday in Cleveland to notch his sixth save.

It looked like Dyson was going to get the day off with Texas entering the bottom of the ninth with a 7-2 lead, but some Matt Bush struggles early in the frame necessitated the closer's abbreviated appearance. He threw all seven of his pitches for strikes to shut the door, and holds a firm grasp on the ninth-inning role at the moment.

At least it only took 7 pitches and I love that he comes in throwing strikes and usually has low pitch counts in his appearances. May go a long way in preserving him some. Some of those Joe Nathan saves where he'd throw almost 30 pitches would even wear me down

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder how our hitters would perform w a hitting coach like Chili Davis or even Edgar Martinez? Not that most of them aren't doing ok, especially Mazara and the catchers so far, but it just intrigues me a little what theyve done for that young Sox team and the M's so far

The thing about hitting coaches is if the players will listen to them. So yes, the younger ones no doubt (if they are smart) listen to their experienced elders, however someone like Prince has had over a dozen batting coaches over his career. Do the vets even give the time of day to hitting coaches? Some probably do.

It all comes down to a player admitting they have issues and they are willing to listen to someone who has been there and has some strategies to get out of the funk.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh and I do really enjoy these 5pm games!

Has been explained why this is happening?

I would think playing 6 PM games would hurt the gate in Cleveland too.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has been explained why this is happening?

I would think playing 6 PM games would hurt the gate in Cleveland too.

I don't think it really matters for that market right now. The only explanation of such a poor showing at the gates is there is some kind of demographics change in downtown Cleveland. There has been some crime issues a buddy told me close to the stadium that may be contributing to the poor showing.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here it is, dood!

I'll sport this through next Tuesday.

F the Indians and F the Rangers!

Some were wondering here why you (Indians) have crappy attendance at games and why the games start early (6:15). You have any scoop for us?

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers' Ian Desmond: Extends hit streak to 10
Desmond went 1-for-4 with a double, a run scored and two RBI in Tuesday's 7-3 win over Cleveland.

Desmond extended his hitting streak to 10 games with a two-run double in the eighth inning, also giving the Rangers a 5-2 lead and some breathing room in the process. The shortstop hit just .229 with three doubles in March and April combined, but wraps up a successful May with a robust .345 average and 11 doubles in the month.

Have I mentioned I love this guy, yet?

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers' Bryan Holaday: Hits second homer in Cleveland
Holaday went 2-for-4 with a two-run homer and two runs scored in Tuesday's 7-3 win over Cleveland.

Just because he usually bats ninth in the batting order, that doesn't mean Holaday isn't a dangerous hitter when he gets playing time. The 28-year-old catcher owns a respectable .451 slugging percentage, and has seven extra-base hits in his last eight appearances. Don't foget about him amid the talented Rangers lineup.

Love what all the catchers including Nicholas brought while Chirinos has been out

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers' Jurickson Profar: Smacks first homer of 2016
Profar went 2-for-5 with a solo homer and two runs scored in Tuesday's 7-3 victory over the Indians.

Profar has been tremendous since being recalled from Triple-A Round Rock, htting .348 and scoring six runs in five games atop the Rangers lineup. His first homer of the season gives Texas management even more reason to keep the middle infielder with the big club once second baseman Rougned Odor returns from his seven-game suspension, and there has already been talk of doing so at the expense of shortneing the bullpen. While there are no promises after the next two games, things are looking up for the former top prospect.

It will be interesting to see what they decide for Juri

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers' Colby Lewis: Improves to 5-0 with win in Cleveland
Lewis (5-0) allowed just two hits and two walks over six shutout innings in Tuesday's victory over the Indians, striking out two.

Lewis continues to thrive late in his career, following up last season's 17-9 mark with an undefeated start through the month of May in 2016. There are some troubling signs for the 36-year-old, though, as he has totaled just three strikeouts in 11 innings over his last two outings, and is pitching no better than his career average according to FIP and xFIP. Still, the Rangers' top-10 offense gives the veteran a decent shot of winning every time out, and that will once again be the case in his next start against the Astros on Monday.

Colby is putting together a couple back to back good years and he should be finally healthy, nice to see

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers' Jurickson Profar: Smacks first homer of 2016
Profar went 2-for-5 with a solo homer and two runs scored in Tuesday's 7-3 victory over the Indians.

Profar has been tremendous since being recalled from Triple-A Round Rock, htting .348 and scoring six runs in five games atop the Rangers lineup. His first homer of the season gives Texas management even more reason to keep the middle infielder with the big club once second baseman Rougned Odor returns from his seven-game suspension, and there has already been talk of doing so at the expense of shortneing the bullpen. While there are no promises after the next two games, things are looking up for the former top prospect.

It will be interesting to see what they decide for Juri

Profar needs to play everyday and that won't happen here

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some were wondering here why you (Indians) have crappy attendance at games and why the games start early (6:15). You have any scoop for us?

I've got a few ideas on the attendance.

1. This is a football town - Browns rule here even when they're shitty. I remember walking out of The Jake after the playoff clinching game in 2007. Beautiful day, team was kicking ass, heading to postseason for the first time in six years and all the crowd around me was talking about was the upcoming Browns season in which they sucked balls like they always do.
  2. Lebron is back, which makes the Cavs a very close 2nd to the Browns
  3. If I'm not mistaken, Cleveland is the smallest city with the big three sports, and it's also not enjoying the most robust economy at this time. Given those factors, it makes sense to me that the Indians, from a business standpoint, really aren't competing against the White Sox and Tigers, they're competing against the Browns and Cavs for Cleveland's disposable income dollars.
  4. Generally speaking, Clevelanders hate the Indians' ownership. The casual baseball fan either can't or wont understand why a team like the Indians would have to trade a star pitcher a year after winning the Cy Young. The Indians did that in back to back years and doubled-down on it by trading away Victor Martinez. Now, don't go explaining to me why it was done because I understand it, but I can tell you it killed what little goodwill the Dolans had.
The Dolan's have also said some shit like, "well, we'd love to spend more on payroll, but no one goes to the games so we have no money." I understand what they're saying but they should have the fucking sense not to say that during a press conference.

As far as the early starts, that started last year or maybe '14 and I think the first year the Red Sox did it too. I believe it's really only April/May games and that once we get into summer, the games start at 7:05. As I understand it, it's to try to increase attendance during the school year - the thought being that more families would be willing to take their kids to a game on a school night if it ended an hour earlier.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as the early starts, that started last year or maybe '14 and I think the first year the Red Sox did it too. I believe it's really only April/May games and that once we get into summer, the games start at 7:05. As I understand it, it's to try to increase attendance during the school year - the thought being that more families would be willing to take their kids to a game on a school night if it ended an hour earlier.

I hadn't thought about this, but it makes sense now that you say it.

Your thoughts on the "bigger picture" were appreciated too.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Profar needs to play everyday and that won't happen here

You're exactly right.....I think it was yesterday I heard that Profar had missed approximately 1,000 ab over his career due to injuries. So he needs to play as much as he's physically able now.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hadn't thought about this, but it makes sense now that you say it.

Your thoughts on the "bigger picture" were appreciated too.

Some people think those ideas are stupid and question me when I say there aren't a lot of Indians fans. They point to the sellout streak in the mid/late '90s - 455 regular season games (second longest in baseball).

At that time, Jacob's Field was brand new and was just a piece of The Gateway Project which really revitalized downtown Cleveland and made it a destination where it hadn't been for decades before. The Indians were kicking ass left and right. Finally, the Browns had moved to Baltimore and Cleveland had no NFL team.

It was a great sellout streak and I am proud of it, but it was The Perfect Storm of sorts. Fun times, that's for sure.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some people think those ideas are stupid and question me when I say there aren't a lot of Indians fans. They point to the sellout streak in the mid/late '90s - 455 regular season games (second longest in baseball).

At that time, Jacob's Field was brand new and was just a piece of The Gateway Project which really revitalized downtown Cleveland and made it a destination where it hadn't been for decades before. The Indians were kicking ass left and right. Finally, the Browns had moved to Baltimore and Cleveland had no NFL team.

It was a great sellout streak and I am proud of it, but it was The Perfect Storm of sorts. Fun times, that's for sure.

Damn man, you're on a "making sense roll" here.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn man, you're on a "making sense roll" here.

Ha! I considered suggesting that these games you guys are seeing are against the dick-sniffing Rangers and that Clevelanders aren't going to spend money to see that kind of faggotry, but then decided to be uncharacteristically reverent.

Seriously though, I've spent a fair amount of time considering the subject because it does frustrate me.

Folks will say, well, if the Indians won, then people would go to the games.

In 2007, the Indians tied for the best record in baseball. They ranked 21st in overall attendance.

I think the Indians would need a two year run of sustained winning (with playoff berths) before attendance would increase by any meaningful amount.