• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers Royally receive Kansas City for four 7/28-7/31

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is he thinking that starter might be Garza? Oh EG you should try car hopping at Sonic
I hate Evan Grant as much as the next guy, and in general he is a clueless organizational lapdog. But there is apparently something to this rumor. Multiple sources are reporting that the Brewers had their head scout in attendance tonight to watch Gallo and Profar, and Milwaukee never sends him anywhere unless they are very serious about a trade.

And no, the starter wouldn't be Garza... haha. The package they're looking at would like be headlined by Lucroy with either their closer Jeremy Jeffress or Will Smith as the reliever and possibly either Jimmy Nelson or Junior Guerra as the starter.

I would be all for a Lucroy/Jeffress/Guerra package. Jeffress has been quite good as their closer, and Guerra has been outstanding in their rotation. I own the guy in both of my fantasy leagues and have watched multiple starts of his. He's beaten really good offenses like the Cubs while holding them to almost no runs, and he generally strikes out 6-8 a game.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate Evan Grant as much as the next guy, and in general he is a clueless organizational lapdog. But there is apparently something to this rumor. Multiple sources are reporting that the Brewers had their head scout in attendance tonight to watch Gallo and Profar, and Milwaukee never sends him anywhere unless they are very serious about a trade.

And no, the starter wouldn't be Garza... haha. The package they're looking at would like be headlined by Lucroy with either their closer Jeremy Jeffress or Will Smith as the reliever and possibly either Jimmy Nelson or Junior Guerra as the starter.

I would be all for a Lucroy/Jeffress/Guerra package. Jeffress has been quite good as their closer, and Guerra has been outstanding in their rotation. I own the guy in both of my fantasy leagues and have watched multiple starts of his. He's beaten really good offenses like the Cubs while holding them to almost no runs, and he generally strikes out 6-8 a game.

I read that about the Brewers scouts being there somewhere earlier. I was joking about Garza. I do have some interest in Jeffress and Smith and Guerra is interesting. Haven't followed Nelson much this year. Thornburg I think is interesting as well, and I had hopes for the UT kid that had some success late last year. Could be a matchup. Good thing JD has plenty of minutes left on his prepaid plan for this weekend, I'm sure he's scouring the entire MLB landscape for anything and everything that can help the club without having to overpay

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams scouting Guerra
Update: 11:24 p.m. ET

Junior Guerra has been one of the best stories of the season, and it seems like the rest of the league is taking notice. Several teams were reportedly scouting Guerra on Friday night, according to Tom Haudricourt. Guerra delivered, allowing one run and four hits over 8 2/3 innings against the Pirates. If teams are convinced Guerra is anywhere near legit, or even just an average-ish starter, then his cheap cost and handful of years of control make him an appealing addition.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers closing in on Velasquez?
Update: 10:55 p.m. ET

Earlier tonight, we asked whether the Rangers would be able to get the Phillies to consider trading Vincent Velasquez. The answer is evidently yes. CSN Philly is reporting the two sides are "deep" in talks involving the 24-year-old right-hander. Obviously that guarantees nothing -- teams get deep into talks without reaching agreements all the time -- but it looks like one unexpected name could be on the move in the coming days.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers closing in on Velasquez?
Update: 10:55 p.m. ET

Earlier tonight, we asked whether the Rangers would be able to get the Phillies to consider trading Vincent Velasquez. The answer is evidently yes. CSN Philly is reporting the two sides are "deep" in talks involving the 24-year-old right-hander. Obviously that guarantees nothing -- teams get deep into talks without reaching agreements all the time -- but it looks like one unexpected name could be on the move in the coming days.

I'm a bit leery about trading for Velasquez, as he has only 100 or so ML innings under his belt. The first half of the year he looked like a potential staff ace. But lately he's been a bit more ordinary. He did go 6 innings tonight and only gave up 2 runs, but he did allow a lot of hits/walks and didn't strike out many.

I just agree with Romeo that I would think that Velasquez would be a guy Philly would want to build around going forward. So either a) they know something negative about him we don't, or b) nothing is wrong with him and they're going to ask for a huge haul for him. And if we're giving up 4-5 legit prospects, I want the return to be a star player who has a legit proven track record.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a bit leery about trading for Velasquez, as he has only 100 or so ML innings under his belt. The first half of the year he looked like a potential staff ace. But lately he's been a bit more ordinary. He did go 6 innings tonight and only gave up 2 runs, but he did allow a lot of hits/walks and didn't strike out many.

I just agree with Romeo that I would think that Velasquez would be a guy Philly would want to build around going forward. So either a) they know something negative about him we don't, or b) nothing is wrong with him and they're going to ask for a huge haul for him. And if we're giving up 4-5 legit prospects, I want the return to be a star player who has a legit proven track record.

I think people are overthinking it. I guess we will see

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And apparently, according to Mark Feinsand, we're one of 3 teams interested in David Robertson, too.

I get that most of these rumors are just smoke and nothing more, but damn, is there any player we're not rumored to be interested in at this point? I guess it's fun for all of us to talk about here and speculate on, and it's cool that our team is good enough and our GM is aggressive enough that we're a major player.

But I almost feel like at this point, I feel like saying "don't even tell me who we got. Just tell me which prospects we had to give up". Because at the end of the day, no matter how talented the haul we get, we're all going to judge the trade(s) by who we gave up.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think VV does have some injury history, and I'm not interested in giving up 4-5 legit guys but maybe Gallo and a couple mid tier guys and a lower tier guy w upside. If that doesn't get it done, pass or punt!

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And apparently, according to Mark Feinsand, we're one of 3 teams interested in David Robertson, too.

I get that most of these rumors are just smoke and nothing more, but damn, is there any player we're not rumored to be interested in at this point? I guess it's fun for all of us to talk about here and speculate on, and it's cool that our team is good enough and our GM is aggressive enough that we're a major player.

But I almost feel like at this point, I feel like saying "don't even tell me who we got. Just tell me which prospects we had to give up". Because at the end of the day, no matter how talented the haul we get, we're all going to judge the trade(s) by who we gave up.

Someone here will always be disappointed by what was given up

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think VV does have some injury history, and I'm not interested in giving up 4-5 legit guys but maybe Gallo and a couple mid tier guys and a lower tier guy w upside. If that doesn't get it done, pass or punt!
I am probably guilty of recency bias and/or being short-sighted, but I agree with a lot of people here in thinking that Gallo might become a bust. The names Dunn, Deer, Branyan, and Incaviglia have been thrown out here as comparisons, and I would chime in with Balboni as well, and I think those might not be too far off (or at least it's a real possibility). He might very well become an even better version of Chris Davis, hitting .260 with 40 HR a year, and make us all look foolish. But I guess I see Mazara, Profar, and Mendez as the 3 guys I absolutely want to keep, and Gallo, Brinson, and Tate as expendable should the right deal come along.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am probably guilty of recency bias and/or being short-sighted, but I agree with a lot of people here in thinking that Gallo might become a bust. The names Dunn, Deer, Branyan, and Incaviglia have been thrown out here as comparisons, and I would chime in with Balboni as well, and I think those might not be too far off (or at least it's a real possibility). He might very well become an even better version of Chris Davis, hitting .260 with 40 HR a year, and make us all look foolish. But I guess I see Mazara, Profar, and Mendez as the 3 guys I absolutely want to keep, and Gallo, Brinson, and Tate as expendable should the right deal come along.

Kinda feeling the same

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Rosenthal

If #Rangers add catcher, it probably won’t be #Brewers’ Lucroy. But, per sources, it could be #Padres’ Norris. Have spoken to both clubs.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One last interesting note for the night:

Apparently we had multiple scouts at the Brewers game tonight scouting both Lucroy and Guerra. Guerra went 8.2 innings and allowed only 1 earned run, 4 hits, and 1 walk while striking out 5. The scouts came away "very impressed" (how they know that, I don't know).

Of the two talks we're supposedly heavily involved in, I still say I favor the Milwaukee sampler platter over Velasquez. Watch, neither will materialize.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Rosenthal

If #Rangers add catcher, it probably won’t be #Brewers’ Lucroy. But, per sources, it could be #Padres’ Norris. Have spoken to both clubs.
Pass. He's nowhere near the upgrade on offense or defense that Lucroy is. We already have 2 catchers who can hit as well as Derek Norris.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Rosenthal

Haha. Multiple Rangers fans are tweeting back at Rosenthal saying that he needs to check his sources because Norris isn't much better than Chirinos. And A's fans are even chiming in saying how much Norris sucks and that there's no way the Rangers would trade anyone good to get him.

I hope they're right, because I absolutely would be pissed if we gave up anything more than a stale bologna sandwich for him. I'd rather stand pat if he's our option.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha. Multiple Rangers fans are tweeting back at Rosenthal saying that he needs to check his sources because Norris isn't much better than Chirinos. And A's fans are even chiming in saying how much Norris sucks and that there's no way the Rangers would trade anyone good to get him.

I hope they're right, because I absolutely would be pissed if we gave up anything more than a stale bologna sandwich for him. I'd rather stand pat if he's our option.

Yep. Lucroy is way more impactful. Theyre not their to see norris