• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers Play Three Games in Washington Prior to the All Star Break July 7-9

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These are the kind of teams we have to beat and we seem to lose more like Natl's.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree, we needed someone more dependable if we were going to sign someone.
Such as? Super dependable starters don’t grow on trees. Heaney is FAR from perfect, but he has the talent to be a top 3 starter. Nights like tonight prove why he isn’t.

But I don’t fault CY for kicking the tires on a higher upside guy.

Respect your opinion, as always, as it is a very informed one. It’s just my opinion you’re under-selling Heaney based on upside. His downside is what we saw tonight.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Such as? Super dependable starters don’t grow on trees. Heaney is FAR from perfect, but he has the talent to be a top 3 starter. Nights like tonight prove why he isn’t.

Respect your opinion, as always, as it is a very informed one. It’s just my opinion you’re under-selling Heaney based on upside. His downside is what we saw tonight.
At the beginning of the season I was glad to have him as our BOTR starter. I felt like at the time we had a good overall starting rotation. I knew Heaney would be up and down and after Perez completely flopped in the big moment in the WBC I wondered if he could handle pitching if we did well. He hasn't. Even in games he kept us in the game it was a struggle. So I would like us to pick up at least one quality starter.
I also don't think we should just throw in the towel but keep trying to improve and improve now. Many on this board don't want to get ready of any prospects in the minors for us to add pitching. To me that doesn't make sense because many are blocked. That's one of the purposes of having a deep minor league system.

scotsman#1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

in my view i think Perez is done. they'll give him one start and then they'll probably put him on the 60-day for the rest of the season.

Heaney at best would be a spot starter/ long relief but only if we bring in a couple of above average starters

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I didn't form my opinion of him tonight. Tonight is an aberration, but so was that high strikeout game.

I actually thought he would give us an ERA of around 4.00, but I thought both Otto and Dunning were capable of doing that or better, and that eventually Ragans would be too.

I didn't care for the signing when we signed him.

We took several chances with pitching, well starting pitching, in our acquisitions -- too many chances.

I haven't given up on Heaney becoming a good piece in the pen though.

Chris Young is new at this. He is going to make some mistakes. Hopefully, he has learned from them, especially those in the area of the bullpen.

scotsman#1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the beginning of the season I was glad to have him as our BOTR starter. I felt like at the time we had a good overall starting rotation. I knew Heaney would be up and down and after Perez completely flopped in the big moment in the WBC I wondered if he could handle pitching if we did well. He hasn't. Even in games he kept us in the game it was a struggle. So I would like us to pick up at least one quality starter.
I also don't think we should just throw in the towel but keep trying to improve and improve now. Many on this board don't want to get ready of any prospects in the minors for us to add pitching. To me that doesn't make sense because many are blocked. That's one of the purposes of having a deep minor league system.
most of the position players in our minor league system are block some are even blocking others below them. we are blessed with some quality players in the minors who would bring us some quality starters/outfield help and they would benefit by getting the opportunity to play with other teams that have what we need

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am ready to give up prospects for controllable pitching, both in the rotation and in the pen. Most likely, not rentals though, unless we turn this thing around in a big way very quickly.

scotsman#1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am ready to give up prospects for controllable pitching, both in the rotation and in the pen. Most likely , not rentals though, unless we turn this thing around in a big way very quickly.
totally agree I'm opposed to trading for rentals. we need to only trade for controllable pitching pitchers like Bednar, etc

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well think they ought to try to get Otto stretched out for work and in the meanwhile have a other long reliever to piggyback with him

Perez stuff is just not that great. He lives and does on the corners. We should be able to get a month worth of starts from Bradford.
Way too many relievers in the minors and not enough starters

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last yeear when we signed Heaney, I mentioned that in his last 8 starts of 2022 his ERA was 4.91. After today, it is 4.71 this year. Those two numbers are very close, so I really can't see that anyone should be very surprised about his production so far.

Coming in, if you expected an ERA in that range you might think you could get by with a 5th starter doing that as long as the rest of the rotation was good, and healthy enough to not expect them to miss a lot of the season. If not, you had sure better have some backup plans. Those backup plans should have included Dunning, Otto and Ragans staying stretched out in Round Rock. CY knew that was not going to be the case though because he knew they would serve as replacements for non-acquisitions in the pen. It was simply a very flawed plan. You either get more reliable starters or you have several backup starters at AAA and get relievers to be relievers. You have to do one or the other or be extremely lucky.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ski has been a nice surprise.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ski has been a nice surprise.
He struggled through 8 seasons before doing this. I wonder how many gave up on him along the way.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Semien needs to sit.....Ray Charles can see that shit. Who needs to make the call?

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well think they ought to try to get Otto stretched out for work and in the meanwhile have a other long reliever to piggyback with him

Perez stuff is just not that great. He lives and does on the corners. We should be able to get a month worth of starts from Bradford.
Way too many relievers in the minors and not enough starters
Agree on Otto.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What Anderson is doing is amazing in this game.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad day at black rock.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spencer Howard has given up 3 solo HR in the first 2 innings.