• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers play lowly Mariners in Seattle 7/22-7/24

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
20 players, 20 Trade Deadline predictions

Hunter Pence, DH/RF, Rangers
Prediction: Rays.

Texas once seemed like a dark-horse playoff contender, but dropping 13 of its last 17 games has all but ended any October hopes, moving them into the category of "likely sellers." At 36, Pence's rebound to being named the starting DH for the AL in the All-Star game has been one of the best stories of the season, and he's healed now from the groin strain that kept him from playing in the Midsummer Classic. Texas might have some motivation to move Pence in order to open up some DH time for Willie Calhoun, and Pence's .290/.349/.581 line -- along with two rings and extensive playoff experience -- makes him appealing. The Rays have been vocal in their desire for a right-handed bat (they attempted to get Edwin Encarnacion before the Yankees did), and you could see Puig landing in Tampa Bay too. For that matter, you could see Pence in Cleveland, also.

Mike Minor, SP, Rangers
Prediction: Yankees.

Texas is in something of a tough spot with Minor, because they would like to remain competitive for the 2020 opening of their new ballpark, but at the same time understanding that Minor's value will probably never be higher and that there's a very real possibility that Bumgarner, Trevor Bauer, and Matthew Boyd all stay put. If so, that would make the starting pitcher market pretty thin, and the Yankees pretty clearly would like to add another strong starter, especially one who can replace the retiring CC Sabathia in 2020. This won't net the Rangers pitching phenom Deivi Garcia. It might get them a bat like Clint Frazier or Estevan Florial.

Chris Martin, RP, Rangers
Prediction: Dodgers.

Why stop there, if you're Andrew Friedman? This is probably the most talented team the Dodgers have had in their current run, but after two straight losses in the World Series, nothing short of a ring will count, and the most obvious place to add is in the bullpen. Giles would be a good start, but a sneaky good name for the Dodgers would be the fascinating Martin, who is 33 with just over a year of service time, but still will be a free agent at the end of the year due to the rules regarding his mid-career sojourn to Japan.

Martin is in the midst of a ridiculous run, having struck out 33 since his last walk, which came on April 30; his 2.1% walk rate is the second-lowest in baseball. Put Giles and Martin in front of Kenley Jansen and Pedro Baez, throw in some Julio Urias, Ross Stripling and Kenta Maeda (assuming he isn't in the October rotation), and now you've got something.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No problem. Roogie is back.
He may be our top hitter with RISP and I think he leads the team in RBIs because his HRs come with men on base. If he could just get that average up along with it.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He may be our top hitter with RISP and I think he leads the team in RBIs because his HRs come with men on base. If he could just get that average up along with it.
Now that would be nice

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
20 players, 20 Trade Deadline predictions

Hunter Pence, DH/RF, Rangers
Prediction: Rays.

Texas once seemed like a dark-horse playoff contender, but dropping 13 of its last 17 games has all but ended any October hopes, moving them into the category of "likely sellers." At 36, Pence's rebound to being named the starting DH for the AL in the All-Star game has been one of the best stories of the season, and he's healed now from the groin strain that kept him from playing in the Midsummer Classic. Texas might have some motivation to move Pence in order to open up some DH time for Willie Calhoun, and Pence's .290/.349/.581 line -- along with two rings and extensive playoff experience -- makes him appealing. The Rays have been vocal in their desire for a right-handed bat (they attempted to get Edwin Encarnacion before the Yankees did), and you could see Puig landing in Tampa Bay too. For that matter, you could see Pence in Cleveland, also.

Mike Minor, SP, Rangers
Prediction: Yankees.

Texas is in something of a tough spot with Minor, because they would like to remain competitive for the 2020 opening of their new ballpark, but at the same time understanding that Minor's value will probably never be higher and that there's a very real possibility that Bumgarner, Trevor Bauer, and Matthew Boyd all stay put. If so, that would make the starting pitcher market pretty thin, and the Yankees pretty clearly would like to add another strong starter, especially one who can replace the retiring CC Sabathia in 2020. This won't net the Rangers pitching phenom Deivi Garcia. It might get them a bat like Clint Frazier or Estevan Florial.

Chris Martin, RP, Rangers
Prediction: Dodgers.

Why stop there, if you're Andrew Friedman? This is probably the most talented team the Dodgers have had in their current run, but after two straight losses in the World Series, nothing short of a ring will count, and the most obvious place to add is in the bullpen. Giles would be a good start, but a sneaky good name for the Dodgers would be the fascinating Martin, who is 33 with just over a year of service time, but still will be a free agent at the end of the year due to the rules regarding his mid-career sojourn to Japan.

Martin is in the midst of a ridiculous run, having struck out 33 since his last walk, which came on April 30; his 2.1% walk rate is the second-lowest in baseball. Put Giles and Martin in front of Kenley Jansen and Pedro Baez, throw in some Julio Urias, Ross Stripling and Kenta Maeda (assuming he isn't in the October rotation), and now you've got something.
The Yankees are going to have a lot of extra position players now that they are getting healthy. Sanchez on the DL for now will not affect that. Many teams need pitching. Braves, Red Sox, Yankees, Brewers, Twins to name a few.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am beginning to wonder if Lynn might bring us back more than Minor since he has an extra year on his contract.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the wind and fire has left the team as well as this board.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So glad Gallo didn't participate in the HR Derby. That would have surely been blamed for his injury just like it gets blamed for every HR Derby participant who goes into a slump after the ASG.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Supposedly the trade deadline has been slow so far because contenders think “the asking prices have been too high”.

I’m no trade deadline expert, but it seems like the rangers have suffered from unfortunate timing on some of this stuff.

From 2010-2016, while we were trying to compete, it seems like the mindset around the league was different. It seemed like most teams thought “ gotta give up value to get value” and contenders had more of a “go for it” mindset.

The last few years, it seems like the “mindgames” between GM’s matter a lot more and the negotiations are critical because teams seem very reluctant to deal good prospects even if they have a stacked major league team.

I don’t know when or how the shift in the industry occurred, I’d guess it could be attributed to either the 2nd wildcard or the rise of analytics in baseball, but the rangers timing on all of this seems to be unfortunate.

Right when we need prospects teams started getting stingy.

I still think minor and guys with expiring contracts will get dealt tho.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Supposedly the trade deadline has been slow so far because contenders think “the asking prices have been too high”.

I’m no trade deadline expert, but it seems like the rangers have suffered from unfortunate timing on some of this stuff.

From 2010-2016, while we were trying to compete, it seems like the mindset around the league was different. It seemed like most teams thought “ gotta give up value to get value” and contenders had more of a “go for it” mindset.

The last few years, it seems like the “mindgames” between GM’s matter a lot more and the negotiations are critical because teams seem very reluctant to deal good prospects even if they have a stacked major league team.

I don’t know when or how the shift in the industry occurred, I’d guess it could be attributed to either the 2nd wildcard or the rise of analytics in baseball, but the rangers timing on all of this seems to be unfortunate.

Rules remain the same for all.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To me, the unfortunate part is Minor pitching poorly at the exact wrong time. Had his last 4 outings resembled his previous outings I think teams would be in a bidding war for him.

Of course, with him pitching so much better than he had previously, maybe he was due to come down a few notches.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, the unfortunate part is Minor pitching poorly at the exact wrong time. Had his last 4 outings resembled his previous outings I think teams would be in a bidding war for him.

Of course, with him pitching so much better than he had previously, maybe he was due to come down a few notches.

The saving grace for the rangers is that he does have an extra year on his contract.

If minor was a free agent to be, his last few outings would be much more harmful.

Any team who gets him should probably still need to pay up.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The results of his recent struggles.

WEDNESDAY: New York’s “not very involved” in the Minor derby, Jon Heyman of MLB Network tweets.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to TR Sulliavn:
Joey Gallo will have an MRI on his sore right wrist: Manager Chris Woodward: He is really sore and said when he tries to hit inside the ball it has been bothering him. I know it bothered him in Houston."

This is a bit concerning and could become chronic
We are going nowhere fast this year. Shut him down. Put him on the 10 day IL, if he gets better good, if it takes longer put him on the 60 day IL.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to TR Sulliavn:
Joey Gallo will have an MRI on his sore right wrist: Manager Chris Woodward: He is really sore and said when he tries to hit inside the ball it has been bothering him. I know it bothered him in Houston."

This is a bit concerning and could become chronic
I missed most of this series. Did he get hit by a pitch or the regular wear and tear?