• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers Hosting Houston Astros AUG. 3-5

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now ESPN and MLB have another NY team to talk about. Just what we needed.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Phillies are saying Matt Harrison has a thyroid problem which causes him to lose weight.

He's out for the year (initial report) but they think it can be controlled with medication.

This poor guy just cannot catch a break.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Phillies are saying Matt Harrison has a thyroid problem which causes him to lose weight.

He's out for the year (initial report) but they think it can be controlled with medication.

This poor guy just cannot catch a break.
Wish him all good health but glad he's not our problem

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wish him all good health but glad he's not our problem

Yeah, ain't it the truth.

This could be a blessing-in-disguise for him/them though. At least now, there isn't going to be any pressure for him to pitch, competitively anyway, and maybe he can get stretched out enough to where, once he gains the weight back, he can be ML pitcher again.

Ya know, when he first came back, I swear my first thought was, "he looks like he's been through chemo therapy." Didn't look healthy at all.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, ain't it the truth.

This could be a blessing-in-disguise for him/them though. At least now, there isn't going to be any pressure for him to pitch, competitively anyway, and maybe he can get stretched out enough to where, once he gains the weight back, he can be ML pitcher again.

Ya know, when he first came back, I swear my first thought was, "he looks like he's been through chemo therapy." Didn't look healthy at all.
Definitely a blessing in disguise I would think. Once he gets that corrected he should be able to gain strength and get his velocity back up. I would think that would help his velocity significantly.

I wonder why our medical staff couldn't determine the same thing. We could have kept him on the DL and recovered some of his salary via insurance. That is, unless there would have been a problem collecting on the insurance due to his not playing being due to two different issues. I am pretty sure his playing up until now will keep the Phillies from collecting based on what JD said in an interview last year.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jamey Newberg offered some excellent analysis on Martin Perez's game yesterday. Here is what he wrote in today's report.

Only 80 pitches — the lowest pitch count for a big leaguer recording 25 outs in more than six years (Kansas City’s Luke Hochevar on June 12, 2009) — an 80-grade 76 percent of which were strikes, a number that would stand out even from a pitcher not returning from Tommy John.

Of the 28 Giants Perez faced, he started 25 off with a strike. (The three he offered ball one to each ended the at-bat by grounding out.)

The only base hit he allowed before the Angel Pagan double that chased him in the ninth was a fifth-inning infield single in the 5.5 hole that Andrus nearly prevented with a strike to Odor at second — and that at-bat would have never happened if Odor hadn’t made a clumsy two-out error the previous at-bat, letting his throw from short right sail high on Brandon Belt’s two-out grounder.

Despite the Odor error that extended his inning by two hitters, Perez needed only 11 pitches (rather than five) in that San Francisco fifth, an elite number that nonetheless was the most he’d thrown in an inning all day at that point. In the first four frames, Perez threw five, 10, nine, and 10 pitches, and after his 11-pitch fifth, he followed it with just nine deliveries in the sixth, and as brilliant as that is from a pitching and defense standpoint, it can’t be discounted on a day as hot as Sunday afternoon was that it had to have an impact on Leake, whose time in the dugout between innings to recover and regenerate was consistently abbreviated.

Leake, who walks a little more than two batters per nine innings this season and for his career, issued ball one to start the third. Then three straight balls to start the fourth. Ball one to start the fifth.

And three straight balls to start the sixth. He then threw four consecutive strikes, recording two outs and yielding a Mitch Moreland single to center, before going ball one to Hamilton, then strike one, then ball two, then the mistake curve he left up and out over the plate, which Hamilton waited on long enough to keep fair, well over the fence in right.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take that bet

Surely they won't make that mistake with Tanner. I should say, I hope they don't make that mistake with Tanner going forward. He has proven he just doesnt have it

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surely they won't make that mistake with Tanner. I should say, I hope they don't make that mistake with Tanner going forward. He has proven he just doesnt have it

I think the option needs to be eliminated entirely. Tanner is a FA after this year and is making $515k. Bye Felicia.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the option needs to be eliminated entirely. Tanner is a FA after this year and is making $515k. Bye Felicia.

He's Arb. eligible after this year. He'll be a free agent in 2019.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they non-tender him, does he become a FA then? If so, they should do that. (that wasn't my original plan, I read his info wrong.)

I know you know how little a 1/2 mil is in today's game of baseball. So, that said, why not hang onto him? Granted it'll cost some more, but not much more really, and see if he can regroup.

The downside is minimal, the upside is substantial. For me, I'm rolling these dice.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know you know how little a 1/2 mil is in today's game of baseball. So, that said, why not hang onto him? Granted it'll cost some more, but not much more really, and see if he can regroup.

The downside is minimal, the upside is substantial. For me, I'm rolling these dice.

I'm ready to cut bait on him.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tonight's lineup:

DeShields, cf; Odor, 2b; Fielder, dh; Beltre, 3b; Moreland, 1b; Hamilton, lf; Choo, rf; Andrus, ss; Wilson, c.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tonight's lineup:

DeShields, cf; Odor, 2b; Fielder, dh; Beltre, 3b; Moreland, 1b; Hamilton, lf; Choo, rf; Andrus, ss; Wilson, c.
Really like this line up better. On paper, 1-7 would scare any pitcher. In reality, it doesn't.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they non-tender him, does he become a FA then? If so, they should do that. (that wasn't my original plan, I read his info wrong.)

Yes. It's what they did with Ogando this past season.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am okay with that if they keep him at AAA until he gets his act together if he ever does. And if he does do not automatically stick him in the set up role. Make him earn it. That is a novel idea that they would earn the role isn't it.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. It's what they did with Ogando this past season.

Ogando was due a chunk of money. Better to stash Schepp unless we strike gold bullpen wise. Btw we don't have much gold in the pen