• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers Host the Athletics For Four Games August 15-18

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he said he doesn't see the Rangers spending half a billion again. Given that no other team ever has done that before, not a shock that we wouldn't do it again.
OK......so what investment does it take to get a middle of the line-up hitter, and two starters? And for the sake of conversation, let's say these two starters are a # 2 and a # 4.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK......so what investment does it take to get a middle of the line-up hitter, and two starters? And for the sake of conversation, let's say these two starters are a # 2 and a # 4.

chances are one of those is brought in via trade. I imagine the Rangers probably drop about $300m on FA's. If they honestly want to compete next year, then they'll have to drop quite a bit. $350m would still be 30% less than what they spent last year.

Reactions: DTC

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nadel said that Chris Young gave an indication that the offensive upgrade next year would come from having Jung and having Garver back in the lineup. Maybe Chris sees things differently than Davis. Maybe he convinces Davis that Jung is what they need in the middle of the lineup.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
chances are one of those is brought in via trade. I imagine the Rangers probably drop about $300m on FA's. If they honestly want to compete next year, then they'll have to drop quite a bit. $350m would still be 30% less than what they spent last year.
I hear ya.....I look at the half billion spending like this. Two guys for ten years is about $25 mil per. Just dealing in - sort of - round numbers.

Do you think we should be trying to 'truly compete' next season as a good strategy or not?............With all the changes which seem to be coming, maybe we should be a tad more conversative.

But like what we just said, perhaps all of this spending is window dressing for the next owner (s).

Interesting time for all of us for sure.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's funny, you look at total outlay over the length of the contract and I look at it from an AAV standpoint. Both are correct, but funny how we view it differently.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nadel said that Chris Young gave an indication that the offensive upgrade next year would come from having Jung and having Garver back in the lineup. Maybe Chris sees things differently than Davis. Maybe he convinces Davis that Jung is what they need in the middle of the lineup.
Wouldn't this be ideal from an on the field product, future optimism, and one helluva cost saver at the same time?

A lot of balls are up in the air for us in mid Aug 2022.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wouldn't count anything out. I have faith that CY will do what he can to upgrade the team. Davis went on record saying the plan is to complete next year. Personally speaking, it will take a LOT more than Garver to accomplish that.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally speaking, it will take a LOT more than Garver to accomplish that.
It might take more with Garver in the lineup than if he was out of it.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear ya.....I look at the half billion spending like this. Two guys for ten years is about $25 mil per. Just dealing in - sort of - round numbers.

Do you think we should be trying to 'truly compete' next season as a good strategy or not?............With all the changes which seem to be coming, maybe we should be a tad more conversative.

But like what we just said, perhaps all of this spending is window dressing for the next owner (s).

Interesting time for all of us for sure.

if they want to compete in any sense of the word, there will have to be significant upgrades on both sides of the ball. I don't want them gutting the farm to do that.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if they want to compete in any sense of the word, there will have to be significant upgrades on both sides of the ball. I don't want them gutting the farm to do that.
One thing we have to keep in mind is different folks have different ideas about the meaning of "compete." If Davis means finishing above .500 and being in the wild card hunt, then that wouldn't take nearly as much as competing to win the division.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing we have to keep in mind is different folks have different ideas about the meaning of "compete." If Davis means finishing above .500 and being in the wild card hunt, then that wouldn't take nearly as much as competing to win the division.

I believe I covered that in the first eleven words :D

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Rangers improve by 2 wins a month next year then we will be right in the thick of the wild card race, if it is similar to this year.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Rangers improve by 2 wins a month next year then we will be right in the thick of the wild card race, if it is similar to this year.
Does Jung, 2 good bullpen free agents, a decent starting pitching free agent, and a lot less bullpen games cause us to win 2 more games each month?

You would think we would get better years from Semien and Seager too.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He is in a zone

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, after his adjustment, Mason Englert is on fire. Last time out he pitched 7 innings of no hit ball. Now, 6 more tonight.

Screenshot_20220818-193541_Samsung Internet.jpg

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, after his adjustment, Mason Englert is on fire. Last time out he pitched 7 innings of no hit ball. Now, 6 more tonight.

View attachment 305650
This is from Jeff Wilson regarding Mason Englert. These are the kind of adjustments I would like to see some of the pitchers at Frisco and Round Rock make.

After the second inning ended on a line drive to Saggese, Englert and catcher Cody Freeman made an adjustment that threw off the Greenville hitters.

“I said, ‘Dang, I’m getting lucky tonight. We need to stop getting lucky and switch up the plan,'” Englert said. “There were some insane defensive plays early on. They were on the initial plan they had. It was similar to what I’d been doing the past four weeks and I’ve been having success with. Once we switched it up, the strikeouts and weak contact came.”

McDowell entered after Englert’s pitch count reached 93. McDowell, the Rangers’ 14th-rounder in 2018, closed out Hickory’s first no-hitter last month as the fourth pitcher in a 10-inning victory.

“If you need a no-hitter closed out, he’s your guy,” Englert said.

Englert made some adjustments last month, including adding a cutter. An tweak to his delivered created more velocity and backspin on his fastball.

The result has been one of the best stretches of his career: 25 2/3 innings, two runs, six hits, five walks and 33 strikeouts. He has cut his ERA from 4.70 to 3.59, and he has 108 strikeouts in 92 2/3 innings.

“I’m able to locate things where I want to, and the stuff has ticked up a bit as a whole,” Englert said. “Just some pitch-usage ideas and some repertoire tweaks.”

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cody Bradford is having a really good game too, so far. That is 3 good to really good games in a row for him.

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Hickory pitching coach needs a promotion

SpellCheck is rarely my friend

I was thinking the same thing.
Englert and Jon Goebel