• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers Host the Athletics For Four Games August 15-18

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arihara has paid his dues this year and it is finally paying off. He may not have any success up here, but I give him credit for fighting hard to get back up here.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arihara has paid his dues this year and it is finally paying off. He may not have any success up here, but I give him credit for fighting hard to get back up here.

He may still suck but he could have pouted and taken his ball and went home but he has stuck it out.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our rookies out in the ACL played a ten inning game tonight. Our pitchers walked nine batters.

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will interesting seeing how things change during the rest of the season in the way the team plays and presents itself. I'm guessing some players aren't happy with the change and some are ecstatic. Time will tell if this is a good move or not, I'm thinking it will be. I think Beas is highly respected and will be a little more "fatherly" with some of the players who need it and will let the rest just do what they do best. Woody seemed aloof at times and more worried about analytics than the players themselves. I think he expected the vets to do more with the younguns than what they did or are willing to do, that's on him. (We might need a few different veterans)... :think:

I agree that preparation seemed lacking when you constantly seen bone/air headed plays or bad positioning and lack of situational/locational hitting. I'm fairly certain Beas seen/knows this and will take steps to correct it, and if he does it's going to rub some fans the wrong way because they have their favorites they want to see on the field come hell or high water and playing positions they may not be suited for (Duran at 3B). Sometimes players need some remedial coaching/teaching and consequently need a couple of days to process it and put it into action. Bad habits are easy to acquire and sometimes very difficult to break and can take time sometimes too much time to fix...

I guess we shall see :nod:

Reactions: DTC

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So no bullpen game. Had thought he had a shot.
Not expecting much but it protects our bullpen arms and I respect that

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we shall se Joe the roster spot is made. Also this has to send a message to Keuchel who is missing out on MLB salary unless someone forfeited his contract

The As are a team that I will be easier to pitch to

We could have easily lost that game with so many walks but otherwise that is the only way we tried to give the game away. Baby steps

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we shall se Joe the roster spot is made. Also this has to send a message to Keuchel who is missing out on MLB salary unless someone forfeited his contract

The As are a team that I will be easier to pitch to

We could have easily lost that game with so many walks but otherwise that is the only way we tried to give the game away. Baby steps
Over their last 3 games both Keuchel and Arihara have a good ERA, 3.31 and 3.17 respectively.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An Athletic article this morning gives a list of potential managers for the Rangers. Of course, everyone has to include Wash. They also included three ex-Angels managers, Maddon, Ausmus, and Scioscia. A couple of names Evan mentioned yesterday, Espada and Quatraro, were listed as well. They listed Pedro Grifol from Kansas City and Carlos Beltran as well. Lastly, they mentioned internal candidates, Beasley and Ecker.

I have always liked Maddon, myself.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An Athletic article this morning gives a list of potential managers for the Rangers. Of course, everyone has to include Wash. They also included three ex-Angels managers, Maddon, Ausmus, and Scioscia. A couple of names Evan mentioned yesterday, Espada and Quatraro, were listed as well. They listed Pedro Grifol from Kansas City and Carlos Beltran as well. Lastly, they mentioned internal candidates, Beasley and Ecker.

I have always liked Maddon, myself.
Ausmus is a joke. Not sure how anyone can mention him as a manager period.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you guys feel about Scioscia?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently, some fans in Houston are worried about losing Espada to us.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some excerpts from a good article by Tim Cowlishaw:

Jon Daniels is still in charge.

And just how much he runs the show and whether Chris Young, now two seasons into his time as general manager, ever gets to really grab the reins remains to be seen. The announcement of the not-so-surprising firing arrived in a news release which contained three paragraphs of quotes from Daniels and nothing from Young. The news conference held 90 minutes later at Globe Life Field began with more than three minutes of Daniels talking and explaining while Young sat next to him in silence.

Obviously, Young took several questions during the back and forth with the media, but the impression the club stubbornly provides is that Daniels remains firmly out front.

Daniels, who was booed during the club’s Hall of Fame ceremony Saturday night while Young drew cheers, said it’s absolutely fair for fans to question why he’s still here. He added that he considers himself to carry a large part of the responsibility for the club undergoing a massive rebuild so quickly after having the league’s best record in 2016, then added something people may find interesting.

“As far as any personal accountability on my part, that’s something we’ll address down the line,’’ Daniels said.

Is he stepping aside in October? Is there more management shuffling to come? Unfortunately owner Ray Davis, who sat near the front of the room during the news conference, left without taking any questions about Daniels or the club’s future Monday.

The other meaningful thing Daniels said, and he did it several times, was basically to excuse Woodward for the team’s record — at least for his four-year record if maybe not entirely for this year’s 51-63 mark.

“The talent and the roster construction is a bigger factor in our wins and losses the last few years than anything,’’ Daniels said.

Those are the responsibility of a GM or, in this case, a club president. Not a manager.

I’m not trying to absolve Woodward of all blame here. He will go down as the Dave Campo of Rangers managers, a guy who presided over a tough rebuild with little chance to win and didn’t add much to the mix. This year’s team has a run differential that says the Rangers should have a better record than Chicago or Boston. They do not. It says they should be right behind Baltimore.

They are not.

Both Daniels and Young seemed to talk around the idea that this club hasn’t been properly prepared for games and that its 6-24 record in one-run games is the area where a different skipper might have kept them in the wild-card hunt. Still, it all gets back to the big picture which has been alternative shades of grim for several years now.

“We did not come into this season thinking we had put together a championship roster,’’ Daniels said during his opening remarks.

Young echoed his boss.

“We didn’t expect to go worst to first this season. Woody had a positive impact on the culture,’’ Young said. “This is about moving forward.’’

The managerial search will be a collaborative effort that goes beyond the president and the GM, Young said. What we don’t know is if that’s the end of the front office story. Maybe there will be more. Maybe what Daniels said about addressing things down the line was meant to let us know that change will be made at a higher level.

Young has had two years to learn the ropes. I do not doubt for a second that Daniels, 17 seasons deep into his time as GM and/or president, has assisted him on that front. But Young pitched in the majors for 13 years, he went to Princeton and he’s less than two years younger than Daniels. He’s more than qualified to be the front man for an organization.

Regardless of whether some still refuse to give Daniels due credit for his early work as a GM here, it’s time for Ranger fans to see a bigger change than the dismissal of Woodward represents.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no to all on Athletic article. Need a guy who can relate to yiung and old, can teach or have coaches who can teach, a straight shooter

Does not sound like a guy from the tainted Astros or old dudes out to pasture. No to Mike S or Joe, Halo rejects

Older guy who I like is Buck S but that is a no go

Let’s roll with Beas for a bit and see how he does. He might need an IF coach IMO