• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers have a sweet tooth and are hungry for some M's&M's - 8/17 - 8/19

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And hopefully he will be great from here forward.
I guess being winless in his last 3 starts is bothering me.

Why? The team won last night. That is all that counts. W and L's regarding pitchers is purely non-sense. Any pitcher that can keep you in the game long enough and turning it over to BP has done the job. Hammels is new to the American league and will need a little time to adjust. He is a stand up guy that can't help but help the team.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. And ya know a guy who I always complained about with an inflated average? Al Oliver.

It seemed to me Al hit .360 with no one on base, or we were ahead/behind by 5. Then hit .270 with RISP, or late in the game.

And I tried to send you a conversation awhile ago and got, "YOU can't send Ephland a conversation." Am I on your shit-list or something?
I have seen you say that about Al before. I have to respectfully disagree.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is a stand up guy that can't help but help the team.

Guys can banter about Hamels being a # 1 vs a # 2, etc all they want. But his character is beyond reproach.

IMO, if there were a lot more Cole Hamels (the man) the world would be a better place.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? The team won last night. That is all that counts. W and L's regarding pitchers is purely non-sense. Any pitcher that can keep you in the game long enough and turning it over to BP has done the job. Hammels is new to the American league and will need a little time to adjust. He is a stand up guy that can't help but help the team.
There are arguments to be made for both sides really.

Romeo is correct in that wins, as a stand-alone stat in a vacuum, are meaningless. Any mediocre starter can get lucky with 6-8 starts with huge run support and add those wins to his totals to produce a big season win total (Scott Feldman).

But, over the course of a career, wins do paint a picture of how effective a starter was regardless of run/team support. Scott Feldman can put up one or maybe two 16-18 win seasons in his career. But his mediocrity will ensure that those seasons are the exceptions to the rule and he will have a lot of 6-8 win seasons which better reflect his talent.

So, on the one hand, Hamels being 0 for 3 in the win department doesn't matter as long as the Rangers win those games. But, you would like to see Hamels start picking up wins because it would mean that he's putting up 0's or 1's and winning the games without additional team help. Part of the expectations which come with being an "ace" is winning games without needing Scott Feldman-type help.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If memory serves, you were shouting long and loud about Elvis' BS for the last 1 1/2 years. Wasn't that you?

Honestly, it seemed to me most of us had had it up to here with Elvis antics. If I'm mistaking you for me/us, sorry.

I was one of them. I'm still not convinced that this EA will continue. Which also kind of pisses me off because it makes me wonder why it took so long for him to focus and perform.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys can banter about Hamels being a # 1 vs a # 2, etc all they want. But his character is beyond reproach.

IMO, if there were a lot more Cole Hamels (the man) the world would be a better place.
Given health I think he could very well be our 4th best starting pitcher next year once Yu is back to normal which I expect him to be by June at the latest. I would not be surprised at all if both Derek and Martin have better seasons than Cole next year.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have seen you say that about Al before. I have to respectfully disagree.

ha ha ha......You're a very good stat guy. I don't have anything to back this "opinion up," other than my eye-ball test.

But honestly, from about 1981-1990 I probably averaged 40+ games a season, and had conversations, discussions, and yes, some arguments with fans-in-the-stands re: same. Truthfully, had more than one guy admit to me they thought I was on to something after spending a few months of bantering about.

All that pleasant conversation is one of the things which makes baseball such a great, in-person, spectator sport. Can't tell ya the number of times I've had a delightful evening with total strangers.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wins and losses are a team stat. I've watched King Felix lose 1-0 too many times due to piss poor offense to ever have any respect for the stat. It's meaningless.
100% agree. Have spoken openly about this several times. This is a team sport like most sports and the pitcher should not W or L. He is only one piece.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was one of them. I'm still not convinced that this EA will continue. Which also kind of pisses me off because it makes me wonder why it took so long for him to focus and perform.

I'm not sure, but I do know I want to buy a beer for whoever came up with that leg kick for him.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You shouldn't be - I'm not sure I even have a shit list.

Well, let me be the first to inform you that you do indeed have one, and a party of one (me) is on it. ha ha

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure, but I do know I want to buy a beer for whoever came up with that leg kick for him.

Is that going to be true it our hitting coach is it? :pound:

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree 100%, which is why I have a problem with his immaturity. Elvis' problems have never been due to a lack of talent. We've all seen what he can do with his glove, speed, and even to a lesser degree bat when he's locked in and focused. He's undeniably gifted. Elvis' biggest challenge lies between his ears and his approach to the game. Beltre has even had to bark at him from time to time to have more focus and less antics.

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, let me be the first to inform you that you do indeed have one, and a party of one (me) is on it. ha ha

I just checked my settings (to the best of my ability, mind you) and I don't see any reason for why that didn't come through.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that going to be true it our hitting coach is it? :pound:

Got to give Magadan some credit for those post ASB numbers now. I need to see if we've cut down on strikeouts too.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just checked my settings (to the best of my ability, mind you) and I don't see any reason for why that didn't come through.

:noidea:......Another one of life's little mysteries, which will remain so.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of this talk about the Rangers having too much fun made me think of this. Greatness!!!