• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers Face The Orioles at Camden Yards Sept. 5-8

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He also has a history of doing good things with small budget reams. He won the Execitive of the Year award with the Expos, and the Marlins won a WS when he was there.

Sustainability is being questioned. Of course as with you and me a wide range of opinions

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know we won't do much of anything during the off-season but I would love to see the Rangers make some strong decisions to put a better team on the field. Other than Andrus, Calhoun, Gallo & Solak we are a weak positional team. Who should we be looking at?

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know we won't do much of anything during the off-season but I would love to see the Rangers make some strong decisions to put a better team on the field. Other than Andrus, Calhoun, Gallo & Solak we are a weak positional team. Who should we be looking at?
Trevino is kind of growing on me as our catcher and Guzman deserves another year to see if he can be our 1b. We are stuck with Choo so that leaves just 3b. And there is just one person I would like for us to go for at 3b and that would be Rendon. And to be honest if Choo was gone I am okay with Maz in RF. We have other OFers in the minors so I would not want to break the bank unless someone in RF just jumps out at us.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
do we actually pursue Gerrit Cole or will JD only give lip service to this?

do we pursue the trade hinted at BR for Starling Marte?

do we actually pursue Anthony Rendon, Yasmani Grandal or both? or is this just pipedreams being voiced by fans?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trevino is kind of growing on me as our catcher and Guzman deserves another year to see if he can be our 1b. We are stuck with Choo so that leaves just 3b. And there is just one person I would like for us to go for at 3b and that would be Rendon. And to be honest if Choo was gone I am okay with Maz in RF. We have other OFers in the minors so I would not want to break the bank unless someone in RF just jumps out at us.
understand what you are thinking but Trevino and Guzman have not shown me enough to base another season on them as core players. I see Trevino at best as a Backup Catcher and the same for Guzman at 1B in 2020 so who are our starters at those positions? Mathis and Santana or do we bring Forsythe? not exactly an awesome group to chose from. where do we play Solak in 2020? his natural position is 2B with some playing time in the minors at SS.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
do we actually pursue Gerrit Cole or will JD only give lip service to this?

do we pursue the trade hinted at BR for Starling Marte?

do we actually pursue Anthony Rendon, Yasmani Grandal or both? or is this just pipedreams being voiced by fans?
All of the answers to your questions depends on if we are going for it all in 2020 or if we are going to continue to rebuild. If they are still rebuilding then I think we pursue one premium guy like Rendon. The only way we can truly go for it all next year is to bring in two premium hitters and one very good pitcher.

If somehow we were able to land Rendon and maybe an Abreu along with even a mediocre pitcher then we could be vastly improved next season. I don't think that would be enough to be serious WS contenders, but it might be enough to be the top wildcard and actually put some heat on the Astros.

Probably the best thing to do would be to go after one top free agent this offseason and another one or two next offseason.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
understand what you are thinking but Trevino and Guzman have not shown me enough to base another season on them as core players. I see Trevino at best as a Backup Catcher and the same for Guzman at 1B in 2020 so who are our starters at those positions? Mathis and Santana or do we bring Forsythe? not exactly an awesome group to chose from. where do we play Solak in 2020? his natural position is 2B with some playing time in the minors at SS.
Trevino has been better than Mathis. I do not want a liability at 1b in Santana. Play Guzman. We are not going to the WS next year. We will be fortunate if this management goes big on one FA let alone two or more. If we go big then to me it has to be Rendon. He has shown to be a sure lock to keep producing. I was looking at Solak at 2b. But to be honest there are too many variables in trying to come up with a scenario for next year.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the Prospect Team of the Year

RP: Demarcus Evans, Rangers (not on current Top 30)
A+/AA: 6-0, 0.90 ERA, 12 SV, 60 IP, 100 SO, .119 AVG, 1.03 WHIP

Evans led all Minor League relievers (minimum 50 innings) by averaging 16.6 strikeouts per nine innings in 2018 and was even more dominant this season, ranking first in opponent average and third in ERA. A 25th-rounder in the 2015 Draft, he limited opponents to a .119/.266/.175 line, surrendered just one extra-base hit to a left-hander all year and permitted just one run in his final 24 appearances.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the Prospect Team of the Year

RP: Demarcus Evans, Rangers (not on current Top 30)
A+/AA: 6-0, 0.90 ERA, 12 SV, 60 IP, 100 SO, .119 AVG, 1.03 WHIP

Evans led all Minor League relievers (minimum 50 innings) by averaging 16.6 strikeouts per nine innings in 2018 and was even more dominant this season, ranking first in opponent average and third in ERA. A 25th-rounder in the 2015 Draft, he limited opponents to a .119/.266/.175 line, surrendered just one extra-base hit to a left-hander all year and permitted just one run in his final 24 appearances.

Can he play 2B? LOL

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree 100% Trevino and Guzman have not shown that they’re major league hitters. You need major league hitters to play 150+ games a year or be you’re “ regulars”.

Condor and Trevino look like back ups to me.

Solak should get some 2nd base work in the offseason and he should be strongly considered for that spot in spring training.

Santana should probably work in the outfield or also get some work at second base. He might project to being an adequate outfielder or at least better than Choo.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree 100% Trevino and Guzman have not shown that they’re major league hitters. You need major league hitters to play 150+ games a year or be you’re “ regulars”.

Solak should get some 2nd base work in the offseason and he should be strongly considered for that spot in spring training.

Santana should probably work in the outfield or also get some work at second base. He might project to being an adequate outfielder or at least better than Choo.
Completely disagree with you. Trevino has very few games played and has a .269 BA and 2 HR. He has shown he can throw you out and has made several defensive stops. He has only played in 26 games.
Guzman on the other hand is one of,if not the best, defensive 1B in our division. He does lack in offensive production but the ability to hit the long ball is there. He needs the opportunity to get things figured out before cutting him loose.
If this is the team that is supposed to take us to the WS 2020 I might agree but that is not the case and imo it is way early to let them go without some time to work out the hitting. It might be noted that Santana had not done much before coming over.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Inbox: Who will be in Rangers' bullpen in 2020?

What pitcher do you think the Rangers will target this off season given the types they have signed in the past, like Mike Minor and Lance Lynn?
-- Larry B., Arlington

This is going to be a relatively deep free-agent market for starting pitchers, led by Gerrit Cole, Hyun-Jin Ryu and Madison Bumgarner. The Rangers will look mid-market and maybe take a chance on somebody not at the top of the list. Two guys who might be intriguing are Reds left-hander Alex Wood and Cardinals right-hander Michael Wacha. Both are under 30, both have had some success and have also had some injury setbacks. Those are two that kind of fit the Lynn/Minor mold out of this free-agent class.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TR usually is pretty plugged in, but those are two terrible choices for the Rangers to pursue for starting pitchers.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trevino has been better than Mathis. I do not want a liability at 1b in Santana. Play Guzman. We are not going to the WS next year. We will be fortunate if this management goes big on one FA let alone two or more. If we go big then to me it has to be Rendon. He has shown to be a sure lock to keep producing. I was looking at Solak at 2b. But to be honest there are too many variables in trying to come up with a scenario for next year.
Not pushing for going after the WS next season but with the new park it would be nice to see a more competitive team out there then what we played this season. Team Mendoza

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I see Santans as a super utility player