• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rangers close out road trip at the Motor City

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Smith has the potential to be a solid everyday player,

I also think getting drilled in the face early on made him tentative at the plate for a bit, which is pretty common

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They were generous to the ump
Called strike to Semien cost us a run

scotsman#1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the feeling they are going to try Howard in the pen.

They will have a lot of decisions to make with the roster. Danny Duffy should be ready in the not to distant future as well.
think Duffy can option out within the next few days

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure what Josh Smith will turn out to be, but I do know that all of us make some very premature judgments about players at times.

Go back and look at what folks were saying about Duran late last year. Yet, he has completely turned things around without ever going back to AAA.

Look back at our comments about Leiter.

Look back at the praises some were giving Bubba late last year and now some of the same folks are down on him.

Look back at the comments some made about Dunning last year.

It was not long ago we picked up an outfielder from the Dodgers and he had a few good games right after he came over and some thought he was a great pick up. Now he has had to go to Japan to find a job if I am not mistaken.

A lot of times we are all guilty of very premature judgment and it works both ways. Sometimes we are too quick to praise a guy and sometimes we are too quick to say the guy won't amount to much at all.

scotsman#1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure what Josh Smith will turn out to be, but I do know that all of us make some very premature judgments about players at times.

Go back and look at what folks were saying about Duran late last year. Yet, he has completely turned things around without ever going back to AAA.

Look back at our comments about Leiter.

Look back at the praises some were giving Bubba late last year and now some of the same folks are down on him.

Look back at the comments some made about Dunning last year.

It was not long ago we picked up an outfielder from the Dodgers and he had a few good games right after he came over and some thought he was a great pick up. Now he has had to go to Japan to find a job if I am not mistaken.

A lot of times we are all guilty of very premature judgment and it works both ways. Sometimes we are too quick to praise a guy and sometimes we are too quick to say the guy won't amount to much at all.
i like Josh but i think the best thing for him is playing not sitting on the bench 5 or 6 games out of every 7 and do that with the loaded roster we have would be for him to be at AAA once Duran and Garver returns. i think it's best for his future even if they send down Thompson and DFA Miller to make room for Duran and Garver. when and where is Smith going to play. Duran gets stuck in at DH virtually every day except to give Seager an occasional day at DH. Grossman and Jankowski are better in LF so i expect they will split those 5 or 6 days a week leaving 1 or 2 games. they are not going to sit Lowe, Semien, Seager or Jung so it isn't a matter of how well Smith is hitting or even playing

scotsman#1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and that 1st decision is coming soon. a player coming off the 60-day can only be sent to the minors for 20 days (30-day for pitchers) and Garver came off and went to rehab on May 17th os the Rangers have to make that final decision on June 5th and Duran can come off the 10-day this weekend.

and deGrom who is on basically paternity leave should return Monday or Tuesday at the latest

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they are about ready for Garver

scotsman#1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With deGrom’s return to Florida, it’s believed he will return to the team either at the end of the upcoming weekend or early next week. At that point the Rangers will evaluate deGrom’s next step. That re-evaluation will include a new scan of his arm.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i like Josh but i think the best thing for him is playing not sitting on the bench 5 or 6 games out of every 7 and do that with the loaded roster we have would be for him to be at AAA once Duran and Garver returns. i think it's best for his future even if they send down Thompson and DFA Miller to make room for Duran and Garver. when and where is Smith going to play. Duran gets stuck in at DH virtually every day except to give Seager an occasional day at DH. Grossman and Jankowski are better in LF so i expect they will split those 5 or 6 days a week leaving 1 or 2 games. they are not going to sit Lowe, Semien, Seager or Jung so it isn't a matter of how well Smith is hitting or even playing
That might be best for him, but I think the team needs him for what is best for the team right now. He is valuable as a bench player since he can play almost every position on the field besides catcher. I think he would be considered the emergency catcher if for some reason both Lowe and Miller went down in the same game. I think his position on the 26 man is secure.

The question is, should he start over some of the others. I think he would have to stay hot just about every time he plays to get more playing time and that just isn't going to happen. Every time he goes a game or two without a hit he will be on the bench for a few days. As Wash would say, "that's how baseball go."

Managers will trust a slumping veteran way more than a young guy who is not red hot, most of the time. There are exceptions, such as someone who comes up as highly regarded as Jung.

For this year, he will mainly help as a versatile backup. Who knows, maybe he gets hot when someone goes down with an injury and causes Bochy to trust him more, but that probably will not happen.

If he makes a career being a more versatile David Murphy then he will have a good career, and hopefully he will do that with us.

scotsman#1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has hit well and has shown he can play catcher.
which could look bad for Leon. Leon can catch but isn't much batting.

Miller really needs to go but the Rangers could just as easily DFA Leon when Garver is ready

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tommy Specht has been moved up to third in the order from seventh after his hot start.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes there is no one who can replace Josh Smith with as much versatility in our system. We sure do t need to sign a vet to give him more time
I think he is a plus defender overall despite last showing.

Good take that the team is deemed more important than his development but he has made strides in his offense since coming up
Plus I can tell Bochy likes him but also true he plays the hot hand

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Re Grossman ABs and future role. I think his and Josh S diminish the most. He can pinch hit as needed but bet Garver gets more time than him
Would be surprised if Zeke does not get bulk of LF time for now and Janks is a fill in like Robbie

So that leaves Bubba and Miller out and on the fence re Leon