• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rangers break losing streak vs Twins 6/27-6/29

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colby on Colby:

In short: Lewis’ ERA isn’t as bad as it looks either because the defense around him hasn’t been as good as it should’ve been, luck, or both.

“I feel like I’ve gotten to a point where — especially after the last start — I’m kind of getting back to basics, kind of getting back into things that I’ve been good at before,” Lewis said.

But Lewis knows he’ll have to get better results in the second half of the season. When asked to reflect on the first half of his season Lewis, in his first year from returning from a “hip resurfacing” surgery, said he’s happy to make it to the second half healthy.

“I feel blessed to not have any pain,” Lewis said. “That’s the biggest issue. I didn’t know how it would react. Now that I know how good it’s going to feel I can go out there and not necessarily push it more, but be more relaxed out there.”

On Holland:

After watching Texas Rangers starter Derek Holland throw 67 pitches and try to field multiple bunts in three innings of a simulated game Saturday, manager Ron Washington said he saw progress.

He also said Holland won’t begin a rehab assignment this week, as the pitcher had hoped.

Washington said he still saw Holland “dragging” his surgically-repaired left knee a bit and, despite the progress, he’s still not ready to pitch at game speed. Holland will remain in Arlington and work out during the Rangers’ upcoming week-long road trip that begins on Monday in Baltimore. He will be re-evaluated when the team returns.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't agree with Colby's first sentence. For the most part he has not pitched well. But he has looked better in his last two outings so there is hope.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have had two very good games from our starters. It has been a long time since we have seen that or it seems like it has been a long time. As inconsistent as our offense had been the two previous years it was pitching that got us to where we ended up at seasons end.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't agree with Colby's first sentence. For the most part he has not pitched well. But he has looked better in his last two outings so there is hope.

I kind of gave ya some half baked info on which to comment. Sorry....here's the whole article:

Halfway through the season Colby Lewis owns a 5.94 ERA. It’s the third highest among Rangers pitchers who have made at least one start this season. Lewis isn’t too concerned.

“I’ve never been a numbers guy,” Lewis said. “I base things solely at the end of the year. I feel like if you get too caught up in numbers then you try to do much. It’s been a process kind of relearning things and ironing things out as the first couple months roll on. Hopefully I’m getting better.”

The advanced numbers seem to indicate he is. His FIP (Fielder Independent Pitching), which measures what a player’s ERA would if the balls put in play were league average, is 4.43.

In short: Lewis’ ERA isn’t as bad as it looks either because the defense around him hasn’t been as good as it should’ve been, luck, or both.

“I feel like I’ve gotten to a point where — especially after the last start — I’m kind of getting back to basics, kind of getting back into things that I’ve been good at before,” Lewis said.

But Lewis knows he’ll have to get better results in the second half of the season. When asked to reflect on the first half of his season Lewis, in his first year from returning from a “hip resurfacing” surgery, said he’s happy to make it to the second half healthy.

“I feel blessed to not have any pain,” Lewis said. “That’s the biggest issue. I didn’t know how it would react. Now that I know how good it’s going to feel I can go out there and not necessarily push it more, but be more relaxed out there.”

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't know this and found it interesting.

The day off, manager Ron Washington said, comes because Rios has looked “sluggish” recently. So convinced was Washington that not even a set of really attractive matchup numbers could sway him.

Rios is 13-for-27 (.481) against Minnesota starter Phil Hughes with a .741 slugging percentage. It is both his second-best batting average and slugging percentage against the 46 active pitchers against whom Rios has at least 20 plate appearances.

“He’s been playing every single game and he’s just looked a little sluggish,” Washington said. “I know what the numbers say against Hughes, but I’m going with my gut and my gut doesn’t fail me. … The bat head is just not getting through the zone as quick as it was. He’s played every game this year and at some point you’ve got to give him a break. A guy like him, it usually takes just one day.

And, I am not trying to insinuate any negativism toward Wash, I swear. Just thought it was interesting.

I'll say this about Wash, I don't consider him a good in game manager by any stretch. But, under the conditions we're playing under for this season, I'm not sure I'd rather have any other manager in the game than RW. Stays positive, never abandons a player, and is straight forward to everyone's face while doing both.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't know this and found it interesting.

The day off, manager Ron Washington said, comes because Rios has looked “sluggish” recently. So convinced was Washington that not even a set of really attractive matchup numbers could sway him.

Rios is 13-for-27 (.481) against Minnesota starter Phil Hughes with a .741 slugging percentage. It is both his second-best batting average and slugging percentage against the 46 active pitchers against whom Rios has at least 20 plate appearances.

“He’s been playing every single game and he’s just looked a little sluggish,” Washington said. “I know what the numbers say against Hughes, but I’m going with my gut and my gut doesn’t fail me. … The bat head is just not getting through the zone as quick as it was. He’s played every game this year and at some point you’ve got to give him a break. A guy like him, it usually takes just one day.

And, I am not trying to insinuate any negativism toward Wash, I swear. Just thought it was interesting.

I'll say this about Wash, I don't consider him a good in game manager by any stretch. But, under the conditions we're playing under for this season, I'm not sure I'd rather have any other manager in the game than RW. Stays positive, never abandons a player, and is straight forward to everyone's face while doing both.
Don't take your best bat against Hughes out of the game. Rest him the next day. And take a Tagamet Wash for your gut.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't take your best bat against Hughes out of the game. Rest him the next day. And take a Tagamet Wash for your gut.

Wash hurt his own chances of this being a prudent move when he says, "my gut doesn't fail me" IMO. Sure it does Ron, you just can't be at all objective about evaluating the evidence to the contrary.

Although in fairness, if Rios was spent, and it sure appeared he was, then it doesn't matter who was pitching and what he'd done in the past. If he's outta gas, he's outta gas, and the opponent matters not.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Headed to the game in a little while. I hope they fare better than a few days ago. It's going to be hot as hell out there but these are 20 rows up.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree DT plus we had 2 off days. Rest him Friday or today. Stats are kept for a reason in today's game and in his blindness his gut has failed him many, many times. Now of course you can go by stats and have it fail you as well but don't make an idiotic statement such as "my gut doesn't fail me."

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Headed to the game in a little while. I hope they fare better than a few days ago. It's going to be hot as hell out there but these are 20 rows up.

Hope it goes well for you today as well Justin. If Colby pitches 6 good innings and we are ahead maybe we can yank him and hope the BP closes it out.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yesterday we had 6 men who saw 12 pitches or less. Although we won, that isn't a formula for winning baseball, day-in/out IMO.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lewis 21 pitches in the first, yikes

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1