• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers at Angels 6/20-6/22

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Entertaining but the longest was left out. I believe The Mick holds the record at 551 ft . Been a while and may be wrong.

Yeah I know he had to leave several out. Seems like Griffey should have been in their some too. And Juan and Frank Thomas among several others.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I know he had to leave several out. Seems like Griffey should have been in their some too. And Juan and Frank Thomas among several others.
Way to many great ones when you start thinking to squeeze into a short video. I don't think HR Derby should be included with actual game HR. Should be a separate group IMO.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did that one clear everything and actually hit the ground, just curious? I always wonder how far some of them would go if the seats or stadium didn't knock them down. I'm sure there's a select few now that can hit it 500+. I could be mistaken but I think Josh hit one well over 500 ft in BP before a ST game or something.
Here is what I found. 1963 the ball struck the façade on the RF roof in Yankee stadium. That was370 ft from home plate and still rising when the ball hit a roof structure. Bases on that it was estimated to have traveled 620 ft. He later hit the same façade three more times but never cleared. Source: Google Mickey Mantle and look for link " Longest HR in MLB History". Not positive but really doubt that has ever been equaled.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Way to many great ones when you start thinking to squeeze into a short video. I don't think HR Derby should be included with actual game HR. Should be a separate group IMO.

I agree on the hr derby thing... it just glorified batting practice. Agree on there being too many great ones to make a short video too. I bet some of the footage of the older ones are tough to find and I'm not sure how long they have been measuring. I'm sure Ruth, Aaron, Mantle, and Williams among many others had some real monster shots.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree on the hr derby thing... it just glorified batting practice. Agree on there being too many great ones to make a short video too. I bet some of the footage of the older ones are tough to find and I'm not sure how long they have been measuring. I'm sure Ruth, Aaron, Mantle, and Williams among many others had some real monster shots.
Harmon Killibrew hit some monsters and those were marked in the stadium. I know they were measuring in the 50's. Before that I have no clue. I saw two of Maris's HR and one of Mick's in the same game. They all counted the same but believe me they were different in travel. Mantle was in a different class when he got all of the ball.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harmon Killibrew hit some monsters and those were marked in the stadium. I know they were measuring in the 50's. Before that I have no clue. I saw two of Maris's HR and one of Mick's in the same game. They all counted the same but believe me they were different in travel. Mantle was in a different class when he got all of the ball.

Yeah, I never had the pleasure of viewing Mick live-before my time. Just through videos I can find here than there.

I still say the sweetest swing I ever saw was Griffey's. I wasn't even ever mad when we killed us back in the day, just in awe of how effortlessly he got the ball out of the yard. But that experience might not have even held a candle to seeing Mantle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aBMCBswm1I

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I never had the pleasure of viewing Mick live-before my time. Just through videos I can find here than there.

I still say the sweetest swing I ever saw was Griffey's. I wasn't even ever mad when we killed us back in the day, just in awe of how effortlessly he got the ball out of the yard. But that experience might not have even held a candle to seeing Mantle.

Everbody has their own hero. I have several even at my age.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everbody has their own hero. I have several even at my age.

Amen to that.
It was a treat to go early to Arlington Stadium in 72/73 to watch Frank Howard take batting practice. One of the most amazing things I saw has a check swing high and away sent to the base of the center field wall. Frank Howard would be a treat in a HR derby

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Great book is the Mick

early chapter was devoted to his youth in Oklahoma. He talks about his Daddy being a lefty and him hitting 100 balls righty... then Granpa being a rightly threw and Mick would hit 100 balls lefty each and every day weather allowed. Mick felt bad the other children never got to hit, but they were expected to shag balls.

mickey also had an effortless swing like junior

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great book is the Mick

early chapter was devoted to his youth in Oklahoma. He talks about his Daddy being a lefty and him hitting 100 balls righty... then Granpa being a rightly threw and Mick would hit 100 balls lefty each and every day weather allowed. Mick felt bad the other children never got to hit, but they were expected to shag balls.

mickey also had an effortless swing like junior
My dad said he even looked good striking out.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Frieri came in with the bases loaded and 1 out in the bottom of 10th win LA ahead 3-1. He got Murph out but then gave up a Grand Slam to Swisher.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Martin and Mantle were really bad for each other as Pat Summerall would say.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Frieri came in with the bases loaded and 1 out in the bottom of 10th win LA ahead 3-1. He got Murph out but then gave up a Grand Slam to Swisher.
Yep, lost 5-3. CJ pitch that one, Wastin?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bedrosian & Frieri got 2 outs and gave up 4 earned runs in the 10th. Which brings their ERA's to 14.29 and 5.83 respectfully for the season. Ouch

And CJ went 7 with one earned.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was fortunate to meet and spend a few minutes with Mantle back in 1985. Walked into a three person ad agency, and there sat Mickey playing backgammon with the owner. He stood up and introduced himself. Now that was funny. I think I said something like, "I KNOW who you are, now you know me." And we both laughed. Sat around and watched, listened mostly for 20 minutes or so.

Pretty unique happenstance. Swear....the guy was built like a refrigerator.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was fortunate to meet and spend a few minutes with Mantle back in 1985. Walked into a three person ad agency, and there sat Mickey playing backgammon with the owner. He stood up and introduced himself. Now that was funny. I think I said something like, "I KNOW who you are, now you know me." And we both laughed. Sat around and watched, listened mostly for 20 minutes or so.

Pretty unique happenstance. Swear....the guy was built like a refrigerator.
He built a bowling alley in Dallas. I went to the opening and got to meet him, Yogi and Whitey Ford. They all signed me a picture of the three.

Last edited by a moderator:

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bedrosian & Frieri got 2 outs and gave up 4 earned runs in the 10th. Which brings their ERA's to 14.29 and 5.83 respectfully for the season. Ouch

And CJ went 7 with one earned.
Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He built a bowling alley in Dallas. I went to the opening and got to meet him, Yogi and Whitey Ford They all signed a picture of the three.

Holy smokes. Now that's a picture.

Just curious, have you ever had it appraised?