• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Random Thoughts 2.0

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some impressive team stats to date. In the major categories we lead the AL in the following:

BA
H
HR
TB
SLG
OPS

We are 3rd in:

RS
RBI
OBP

Not bad, not bad at all. If there's one semi-negative caveat to these rankings, it would be that even tho we lead the league in hits and BA, we're only 3rd in RS. That tells me we're still leaving a few too many men on base. But that's being a bit picky.

It's because OBP > BA and we're 3rd in OBP. So, we're 3rd in runs.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My random thought:

What would this team look like right now had we succeeded in signing Machado? What pieces would we not have right now if that happened?

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My random thought:

What would this team look like right now had we succeeded in signing Machado? What pieces would we not have right now if that happened?
Good question, and I don't have a clue, but WTF, might as well opine anyway. I'm not sure there would have been any additional major signings other than maybe one or two of the low cost variety. And perhaps more importantly, we might not have afforded to have inked Jimenez, Moncada, and/or Robert to long term extensions either.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My random thought:

i'd also ask what the team would look like with fernando tatis jr on it? :mad2:

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My random thought:

I don't know about the pitching situation, but Moncada would probably be the RF and Machado at 3rd. The Sox would have had enough to sign Keuchel, but maybe not get all the extensions done on existing contracts.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question to the locals in here. Is Detwiler hurting or on IL? Even tho I have a large number of sport sites bookmarked, including the local rags, I don't get every bit of Sox news out here in Sin City. Did I miss something as to why he's not being used lately? All things being equal, he's been our most consistent pitcher out of the pen, yet he's not being used. What's the skinny?

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i've never liked the 'head to head' determining anything because there's another side to that coin. it means whoever did better head to head did worse in the rest of their games. why should one of those take precedence over the other?

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question to the locals in here. Is Detwiler hurting or on IL? Even tho I have a large number of sport sites bookmarked, including the local rags, I don't get every bit of Sox news out here in Sin City. Did I miss something as to why he's not being used lately? All things being equal, he's been our most consistent pitcher out of the pen, yet he's not being used. What's the skinny?

I'm Sergeant Shultz on that question. There have been no reports on Detwiler - I think he is still a go after 12 almost perfect innings from the bullpen.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Giolito is the next Buehrle/Sale - then Cease appears to be the next Jon Garland.

In a way Dunning's performance today will tell the Sox if they need more pitching in the trade market - if he pitches a quality start - there's no need to trade talent for a rental pitcher. The Sox might get some innings out of Rodon in the final 28 games too.

Lopez has talent, but is a head case - as a pitcher for now. He doesn't figure to be useful in the final stretch - except as a innings eater out of the pen.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Giolito is the next Buehrle/Sale - then Cease appears to be the next Jon Garland.

In a way Dunning's performance today will tell the Sox if they need more pitching in the trade market - if he pitches a quality start - there's no need to trade talent for a rental pitcher. The Sox might get some innings out of Rodon in the final 28 games too.

Lopez has talent, but is a head case - as a pitcher for now. He doesn't figure to be useful in the final stretch - except as a innings eater out of the pen.

Good comparison of Cease/Garland. Both have/had that inconsistent, hot-cold element to their pitching abilities. But if Cease can ever come close to matching Garland's '05 season, we'll be in business.

I'm wondering if Dunning is being showcased for a possible trade or if like you said, to see whether he can prove that he'll be our #4 starter for the remainder of the season. I'm hoping for the latter.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is anyone else surprised at Minny's mini collapse of late? Four straight losses, including a doubleheader spanking by the Tigers. This is not the same Bomba team that set a MLB record for HRs last year. They're having to rely as much if not more on their pitching and defense than hitting to date. As a team, the Sox have outhit, outslugged, outscored.....just about outeverything'd offensively vs the Twins. It's the aforementioned pitching and defense that has kept them in the division lead all season....that is until yesterday. This upcoming series against them is going to be very interesting and of course very crucial for our chances to hang around the Central leaderboard.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally broke the extra innings jinx. We were 0-3 going into today.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was a big fan of signing Grandal and even with a slow start to the season - Grandal improves this team. However, - straight up - if I had the choice between Grandal or McCann as the catcher based on 2020 performance - I would - no question - take McCann.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was a big fan of signing Grandal and even with a slow start to the season - Grandal improves this team. However, - straight up - if I had the choice between Grandal or McCann as the catcher based on 2020 performance - I would - no question - take McCann.

McCann is in my doghouse for the moment as that 10th inning strikeout yesterday pissed me off something fierce. That kind of sh*t could have blown us the gimme run/win. If we figure out our other holes at pitcher and RF, Grandal's signing is less of a deal and just gives us good flexibility since apparently he plays some first base too (and did just fine out there). But don't come in here selling me that he's some kind of stud. He's not. I would typically refer to his deal as a rent-a-bat...but f*ck if I'll call him that. Rent-a-frame I guess.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Padres get Cleavinger.....and that's fine by me. Not that I didn't want him, the man can flatout pitch. But I didn't want to sacrifice Kopech and Engel to get him, which was supposedly the Tribe's asking price. If this was indeed true, I'm glad Hahn stuck to his guns.

On the flip side, gotta give it to the Padres, who have been far and away the busiest team at the deadline. Their roster is getting to be scary good and at this point might just be the second best team in the NL. Unfortunately for them the best is in their own division.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Padres get Cleavinger.....and that's fine by me. Not that I didn't want him, the man can flatout pitch. But I didn't want to sacrifice Kopech and Engel to get him, which was supposedly the Tribe's asking price. If this was indeed true, I'm glad Hahn stuck to his guns.

On the flip side, gotta give it to the Padres, who have been far and away the busiest team at the deadline. Their roster is getting to be scary good and at this point might just be the second best team in the NL. Unfortunately for them the best is in their own division.

Trading with the Indians is an aw hell naw for me dog.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trading with the Indians is an aw hell naw for me dog.
Well, white man imitating black man aside, I would have zero problems trading with a division rival if I thought it would make us better in both the short and long term. Cleavinger is a really good pitcher, altho he may also be a bit of a head case. Then again, Kopech may already be a certified head case. But I'd still love to see what he can bring to the table, and hope he'll have sorted out whatever personal issues he's had by the start of ST.

I'm glad if Cleavinger was to be traded, at least he landed in the NL. I would say if the Sox feel they need to add a quality arm to the rotation, they should now focus on Lynn or Bundy. At least make an offer to see if the Rangers/Angels would bite.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Dunning is the kind of pitcher he has shown himself to be in his MLB opportunities. There is no reason to trade for a starter. For the president - you would have Giolito, Cease, Kuechel, Dunning, Lopez and Rodon. Plus the Sox have Stievers they can bring in for a start. Maybe Gio is ready after 10 days. Never-the-less - keeping Kopech is what the Sox can sell for next year and the even better version of the 2020 Sox.

The Sox need to trade for a reliever - IMO - and maybe a closer. Plus it wouldn't hurt to give those bonus baby pitchers in Schaumberg - 3 guys to get out every once and a while.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might be a moot point anyway as the Rangers have pulled Lynn off the market. Looks like we're going with the horses that brung us.