• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Random Thoughts 2.0

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that's what makes baseball fun.

I agree the decision Madrigal made is easily second guessed. Saying he shouldn't have gone is virtually unassailable. Great baserunners, however, are not judged by how perfect they are at avoiding outs, but by how much anxiety they provide for the defense to make the play. It was a perfect throw that got him - he wasn't embarrassingly too far from being safe. He didn't make the final out at 3rd either. The next guy who fields a ball while Madrigal is running the bases - knows he has to make a perfect throw too.

If the throw was wild - he would have been a had a change to break the game open by aggressive base running. In my experience there are more wild throws than perfect ones from the outfield to the bag. In my judgement it was a good risk.

But hey - I've liked the guy since he was drafted - so I could have blinders on.

History is judged by the results...not the hypothetical.

But if we must play the hypothetical card: Moncada up with 2 on and no outs facing a pitcher out of the stretch with speed on the basepaths was not to be f*cked with. I would challenge at a high school/college level all the time based on the idea that they won't make a good throw...not at the professional level. You make those decisions based on circumstances...and like I said, Garcia, exit velocity, outs situation and batters upcoming. It all adds up to a pile of noobfail.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone know how bad the Madrigal injury is?
I know both Madrigal and Encarnacion were scheduled for exams today, but I can't find any update in my bookmarked sites that provide a status. Last night Renteria labeled Madrigal's injury as a "jammed shoulder", but that's a bit vague. I haven't seen any lineup card for tonite's game posted anywhere but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if both players are out.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luis Robert is going to have to make an adjustment - pitchers have him diving for outside pitches.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we just aren't going to go anywhere with only 2 starters. sorry if this ruffles some feathers but does anyone here really think we wouldn't have been better off going for a good starter instead of a catcher we just never needed?

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we just aren't going to go anywhere with only 2 starters. sorry if this ruffles some feathers but does anyone here really think we wouldn't have been better off going for a good starter instead of a catcher we just never needed?

We would have been better off with Wheeler and Keuchel instead of Grandal and Keuchel...but that milk is spilt. At least a good amount of the offensive position players appear to be the goods so we can just target SP...

That said, I'm not impressed with what's out there in the upcoming offseason...sooo...it's very possible we might be looking at one of Jerry and the gang's "we're close now let's make a big move" moments...but not in FA...in a trade for a stud SP.

Be interesting what we have to give up. But I have no doubt we'll try to shore this thing up somehow this upcoming offseason. Even if Kopech comes out an all star we'll still have at least one big opening to fill, and since that is not a surety it'll be perceived as a top of the rotation necessity. Buckle up.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The most positive note about this is that our 8-8 record is legitimately representative of us, whereas our 72 win record last year was actually us outperforming ourselves...so significant improvement has been had and we're not dogsh*t anymore...as expected. But still...it's nice to see it.

Sadly, though, we're at .500 but currently outside looking in on playoffs....

...The f*cking Tigers, really?

Not sure we can hang with Cleveland because their pitching is just better, leaning toward doubtful...and I'm perfectly sure we can't hang with Minnesota. Soooo...let's beat up the other guys and sneak in a wildcard. Tease me please me White Sox.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Danny Mendick has been a bright spot. Glad to see him get his opportunity.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
White Sox playing in the Field of Dreams game today - in their dreams.

Just shy of 1/3 of the season played.

Eloy really likes to swing in the netting whenever he can during a game. Cut it out Eloy - you idiot!

Foster is a bullpen keeper.

I'm really glad to see Timmy Anderson -smacking the ball around in every direction.

I still don't know what to make of Renteria - waiting on the kind of managing you see when you are in a pennant race. God Bless him.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sox are on a 34 game win pace.

I was wondering if the Sox figure to be better in the 2nd half of the 60 game schedule - the same or worse? I think better - they're a lot of good hitters who will get hot at some time and the starting pitching is beginning to settle down - while the effective pieces have been identified in the bullpen.

The trade deadline looks like a hold for the Sox - even though they could use a nice starting pitcher. I don't think the Sox are looking to give up on any talent to get that pitcher.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Good Guys need to learn how to beat good teams. Don't get me wrong, I'm loving the fact they are whuppin' the teams that merit whuppin' - that's what good teams should do. But they also have to at least play .500 or a little better against the clubs they expect to possibly meet in the postseason.

As I mentioned a few weeks back, there were a bunch of games that played favorably into our schedule and that we would need to put some distance between us and other teams in the playoff hunt. The results so far have been mixed, altho this sweep of the Tiggers sure helped. Of the next 23 games, only 6 of them - three against the Cubs, three against Minny - do we face teams with a winning record. Here is where we need to fatten up during this period because the final 14 games are going to be very, very tough to the point of brutal.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Good Guys need to learn how to beat good teams. Don't get me wrong, I'm loving the fact they are whuppin' the teams that merit whuppin' - that's what good teams should do. But they also have to at least play .500 or a little better against the clubs they expect to possibly meet in the postseason.

As I mentioned a few weeks back, there were a bunch of games that played favorably into our schedule and that we would need to put some distance between us and other teams in the playoff hunt. The results so far have been mixed, altho this sweep of the Tiggers sure helped. Of the next 23 games, only 6 of them - three against the Cubs, three against Minny - do we face teams with a winning record. Here is where we need to fatten up during this period because the final 14 games are going to be very, very tough to the point of brutal.

Dude...We're on the right path. I see the light at the end of the tunnel...but we gotta shore up our SP after Giolito and Keuchel one way or another. And sadly RF is still gonna be a problem that will need to be addressed. Mazara is just really bad out there. But it's a few pieces vs what I was concerned would be many...so I like where we're going with this thing.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The most positive note about this is that our 8-8 record is legitimately representative of us, whereas our 72 win record last year was actually us outperforming ourselves...so significant improvement has been had and we're not dogsh*t anymore...as expected. But still...it's nice to see it.

Sadly, though, we're at .500 but currently outside looking in on playoffs....

...The f*cking Tigers, really?

Not sure we can hang with Cleveland because their pitching is just better, leaning toward doubtful...and I'm perfectly sure we can't hang with Minnesota. Soooo...let's beat up the other guys and sneak in a wildcard. Tease me please me White Sox.
This post didn't age well...

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you can win 6 in a row twice inside of 30 games - I think that bodes well. As expected the young lineup needs to find a consistency of approach. The fact that they can put it together for an extended period of time - shows they have the talent.

With 49 Hrs over 27 games played the Sox are 2nd to the Dodgers (50) in MLB and lead the American league in Hrs. That's amazing since they are baby baseball players for the most part.

Engle has been superb this year - all around. Tim Anderson is playing his best defense right now.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With 49 Hrs over 27 games played the Sox are 2nd to the Dodgers (50) in MLB and lead the American league in Hrs. That's amazing since they are baby baseball players for the most part.
22 of those dingers have come in just the last 45 innings. And these are also the most homers by the Sox after 27 games in their entire history. And to think a few of our guys haven't really gotten going yet. Yikes.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure it has. The Tigers were not what their record showed and we’re 3-6 so far vs Twins and Indians.
They're clearly better than a .500 team, and better than last year's 72 win team

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure it has. The Tigers were not what their record showed and we’re 3-6 so far vs Twins and Indians.
There's no doubt if we want to be taken as a serious contender for the Central and of course the playoffs as well, we need to play better against these teams. We have 11 more games against them. We need to take at least 5 of them - of course, preferably more. :postwhore2:

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're clearly better than a .500 team, and better than last year's 72 win team

California Penal was better than last year’s team.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4cfovr.jpg

For @Mingo

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe after the first week our team ERA was dead last in the league. Slowly but surely we have moved up to now ranking 4th. And our usual gawd-awful defense is ranked 6th. Not great by any stretch, but considering we're usually bottom feeders each year in this latter department, it's a nice improvement.