• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Random NFL talk

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Forty Niners like the Cowboys haven’t won since the Clinton administration. Inside the identity of those two organizations is a need to believe that everyone wants to be them in their Members Only Jacket posing next to their Camaro.
LOL
the Niners are Superbowl threats Every Year. have been to multiple recent Superbowls.

Keep spinning though. Thats cute.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL
the Niners are Superbowl threats Every Year. have been to multiple recent Superbowls.

Keep spinning though. Thats cute.
They have as many Super Bowls in the 21st century as the Toronto Argonauts. I don’t feel like they’re the Eagles or any team’s big brother.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And they didn’t execute right? They couldn’t successfully get to the finish line. Doesn’t that lend credence to my assertion that they’ve dropped the ball on this situation?
Sometimes it's just tough to get something done. The other team also has to believe they could sign Aiyuk to a reasonable extension. Aiyuk could be making it difficult for everyone, thinking he had more leverage than he does.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes it's just tough to get something done. The other team also has to believe they could sign Aiyuk to a reasonable extension. Aiyuk could be making it difficult for everyone, thinking he had more leverage than he does.
Were they successful?

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They let the market dictate price to them instead of being proactive. They have every right to say nah that’s too rich for us and our plan. Then trade the guy earlier and move on. Reports say they were willing to come to like 26. They’re gonna let this guy go during a Super Bowl window over a few million dollars? They’re chasing the market on Trent Williams as well.

That organization has a great coach and great scouts who evaluate talent but their front office is less than. They’re letting the market dictate to them.
Stupidest front office in the league. Lynch is a dumbass. Trey Lance.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does this not constitute not handling this well?

A sports writer?

I figure the 49ers are happy to pay Aiyuk this year but don't want to be on the hook for him for more than that, because they have to pay Purdy (and others) soon and they don't think Aiyuk is integral to their long-term success and they won't have room for everybody under the cap.

Their side this spring: if we can get something for him before the draft, well and good, if not maybe we can get something afterwards or just keep and play him in a contract year. Aiyuk is pushing hard for the "get something for him afterwards" side now because he doesn't want to put possible guaranteed money he could get now at risk in the last year of his contract (understandable).

We see this kind of thing all the time. Usually it ends up with no deal and the player plays and has a good year to get that sweet contract the next year, and whoever pays him that next year didn't have to give up any other assets.

Aiyuk's only leverage is to make the situation stinky and that's what he's doing. If it doesn't work out for him he'll have some bridges to mend on the team because for his future earnings he'd need to have a good year in SF.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A sports writer?

I figure the 49ers are happy to pay Aiyuk this year but don't want to be on the hook for him for more than that, because they have to pay Purdy (and others) soon and they don't think Aiyuk is integral to their long-term success and they won't have room for everybody under the cap.
Then trade him before he becomes a camp distraction.
Their side this spring: if we can get something for him before the draft, well and good, if not maybe we can get something afterwards or just keep and play him in a contract year. Aiyuk is pushing hard for the "get something for him afterwards" side now because he doesn't want to put possible guaranteed money he could get now at risk in the last year of his contract (understandable).
They haven’t made an offer since the draft in April.
We see this kind of thing all the time. Usually it ends up with no deal and the player plays and has a good year to get that sweet contract the next year, and whoever pays him that next year didn't have to give up any other assets.
And they will be playing a malcontent.
Aiyuk's only leverage is to make the situation stinky and that's what he's doing. If it doesn't work out for him he'll have some bridges to mend on the team because for his future earnings he'd need to have a good year in SF.
His bridges are unlikely to have to be mended with the players. They get it. Trent Williams is holding out as well.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then trade him before he becomes a camp distraction.

They haven’t made an offer since the draft in April.

And they will be playing a malcontent.

His bridges are unlikely to have to be mended with the players. They get it. Trent Williams is holding out as well.
I think the "camp distraction" stuff is hype by bored fans. If Aiyuk contributes to the team just as well anyway if no deal is made, who cares if he's a malcontent?

The 49ers obviously don't value Aiyuk like they value other players. And like you apparently value him. Nor do they have to.

I think the real problem is the rookie contract structure, which systematically creates this dynamic; the NFLPA should try to improve that next time because right now it overly favors the teams.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the "camp distraction" stuff is hype by bored fans. If Aiyuk contributes to the team just as well anyway if no deal is made, who cares if he's a malcontent?
He’s out. Trent Williams is out. These guys are two of the best on the team. They’re also 2 of the best at their position in the sport. Guys are on the practice field selling out and giving everything for the Niners and their team. This is a threat on a daily basis for a guy to start thinking “to what end? are they gonna go cheap on me too when it’s my turn?” Guys in the room talk. I think we’re being naive if we don’t think guys are talking about shit like this with each other.
The 49ers obviously don't value Aiyuk like they value other players. And like you apparently value him. Nor do they have to.
This is very true. Like I said the other day, the debate I’m having isn’t even really about what Ayuik’s value is. I’m saying if this is the Niners decision, if Ayuik really doesn’t have the value he’s seeking then get him out of there.
I think the real problem is the rookie contract structure, which systematically creates this dynamic; the NFLPA should try to improve that next time because right now it overly favors the teams.
The NFLPA is a farce. It’s the worst union among the 4 pro sports leagues. This league has the greatest slant to owners at the expense of the players in my opinion. Ty’s structure of the rookie deal is crumbs in light of the larger issues.

How about this? The Niners can force him to play this year, and then franchise him for the next two seasons without giving him the signing bonus and security he’s earned.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“to what end? are they gonna go cheap on me too when it’s my turn?”
The 49ers aren't going cheap. There's a salary cap.

The 9ers are $9 million over the cap already for 2025, never mind Purdy. Pay Aiyuk and those other guys are hosed.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently Aiyuk doesn't want the Pats or Browns. Steelers may be back in the mix.
I heard the Patriots were out and now the Browns are out also? The trade terms were already set so it comes down to the contract Aiyuk is seeking is more then the teams are willing to go. He very well could end up with the 49ers after all.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently Aiyuk doesn't want the Pats or Browns. Steelers may be back in the mix.
I always thought. Pittsburgh was his desired place to go (of the options available)

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats to Nick Foles. Gave me my greatest gift ever. Love the way he says Jacksonville in this video as he rattles off teams. It rings like - man, I stole that money, thank you.