• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Random NFL talk

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s pretty evident the majority of the posters on this board are Team Owner over Team Player.

Nobody pays hard earned dollar to watch fat old owners or their silver spooned offspring negotiate contracts, hob knob, glad hand, and cut ribbons. It’s the weirdest thing ever.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s pretty evident the majority of the posters on this board are Team Owner over Team Player.

Nobody pays hard earned dollar to watch fat old owners or their silver spooned offspring negotiate contracts, hob knob, glad hand, and cut ribbons. It’s the weirdest thing ever.
really...just like that you got it all figured out?

LOL...glad you got that off your chest.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
really...just like that you got it all figured out?

LOL...glad you got that off your chest.
Thanks brother. Hey, do you have a Jerry Jones Topps card? I can give you a Jeff Lurie card or a Stan Kroenke card if you need in a trade cause I have doubles.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
then you are far and away the GOAT.

salute
I've looked at the details now and I wasn't far off. Suh was paid $12.675M in 2014, his 5th and final year in Detroit. Due to cap hits being pushed back his 2014 cap number was $22.412M. Tagging him for 2015 would have been just over $26.8M. The DT tag figure for 2015 was $11.913M. The Lions reported offered Suh $17M per year with $58M guaranteed, but the Dolphins topped that with a $19M per year average including $60M guaranteed in the 1st 3 years. The lower tax rate in Florida may also have been a factor. To be fair to Detroit if they hadn't pushed money back the 2014 cap number would still have been $16M, meaning the tag would have been $19.2M. Looking back with hindsight tagging him was never a realistic option so pushing back the cap to be competitive seems reasonable.

https://abc7chicago.com/sports/lions-dont-tag-ndamukong-suh/540371/

https://www.espn.co.uk/nfl/story/_/id/12444126/ndamukong-suh-sign-6-year-114-million-deal-miami-dolphins

https://overthecap.com/player/ndamukong-suh/1816

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You got that wrong. Posters are for what gives their team the best roster. Teams are only spending what is in the budget, so if you have to pay big for player A, then some other player is playing for less or isn't on the roster or perhaps several players need to take less. The stars are over paid a gross amount at the expense of non stars teammates so yeah,fans should be on the team side vs some player who wants part of their teammates slice of the pie. That's OK because I'd do the same if I was a star player most likely, but as a fan I want to see my team be able to hold on players they drafted and developed so many drafted players just end up not being NFL quality players and are in fact a bad investment. That's OK also, everyone should enjoy one big score, good for them. However that 5th year option helps keeping a roster together for just a tad longer and as a fan I find that to be a good thing.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ayuik is taking great risk in playing this year for half his market value. He’s earned his pay day. All year long on this board Niners fans hype this guy up as a top 5 WR…until it’s time to pay the man.
Dallas fan and they aren't going to be able to pay all 3 that they need to. Going to have to make a tough decision.....or 2.

LOL.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In other news....Jerry is all in.

The Cowboys signed former Raiders CB Gareon Conley today. 28 year old that hasn't played in the NFL in 4 years.

Last edited:

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You got that wrong. Posters are for what gives their team the best roster. Teams are only spending what is in the budget, so if you have to pay big for player A, then some other player is playing for less or isn't on the roster or perhaps several players need to take less. The stars are over paid a gross amount at the expense of non stars teammates so yeah,fans should be on the team side vs some player who wants part of their teammates slice of the pie. That's OK because I'd do the same if I was a star player most likely, but as a fan I want to see my team be able to hold on players they drafted and developed so many drafted players just end up not being NFL quality players and are in fact a bad investment. That's OK also, everyone should enjoy one big score, good for them. However that 5th year option helps keeping a roster together for just a tad longer and as a fan I find that to be a good thing.

I will say that his argument is a bit off. If we're being really honest, if Aiyuk was some generational talent or the key player to make their offense work, they'd have something worked out already. I'm not saying he's not a good player, because he is. While I do understand that there are plenty of guys being underpaid, there are probably just as many being overpaid when you look at actual production.

Is the current CBA flawless when it comes to contracts based on tenure? I'd say no, but it's a hell of a lot better than what it was back in 2010 or whenever it was redone. Some guys do get the short end of the stick when based off performance, but in general it's not like everyone is getting boned and there is nothing they can do about it.

The "risking injury while being underpaid" is probably the dumbest argument he makes. There isn't a guy in the league that isn't risking injury with every snap they play and what percentage of NFL players believe they're underpaid. He's acting like Aiyuk is the only guy suffering this situation when every first round pick that pans out, generally, suffers that last year limbo. The rules are pretty cut and dried, produce and you'll get paid after that 5th year option. The 2nd contract is or should be the goal as that is where the big money is doled out.

I won't get into the competitive balance the NFL strives for, but that is actually the case. Unfortunately good teams pay the price for being good by losing some of their good players. Those players however win, if looking at contract value, when they get their 2nd contract and have had the good fortune of being on a good team. Bad teams tend to covet good players from good teams and will pay them, sometimes overpay them.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think the real problem is what philly paid their number two wide. Tiny's contract becomes the problem. Ayiuk & Higgins both have out played Smith...shit starts at that, and will be for many receivers to come.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I prefer to think or should I say hope that most fans and definitely fans on SportsHoopla, are pro-market over owner and player. I'm the first to initially react that some players are way overpaid. But then logic kicks in and I realize it's the market dictating the salaries for players and profits for owners. Teams wouldn't pay these incredible salaries if the bottom line proved it wasn't worth it.