• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rams Current News & Events!

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hendo rushed for 90 yds and McVay should have stuck with that early. After they fell behind by two scores they had to abandon the run. Recognize what works early in the game and stay with it. Wear the defense down so they can't beat up your receivers all day. The last thing you want to do against a high scoring team is score fast. Make the clock work for you. He has the o-line that can do it so damn it run the ball.
Had he stuck with the run, it would've done 2 things.

1) given the defense rest and a chance to regroup
2) possibly got the Cards offense cold and out of rythym.

just because you are down 2 scores doesn't mean you have to abandon a run game philsophy. There was still plenty of time left in the game to use what was working ( except for Michel's fumble ) and give your defense time to rest, and also wear down the opposing defense for later in the game.

this logic eludes McVay. He may be an offensive genius, but some common sense eludes him often.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What? Did I watch a different game than everyone else?

I wont discount your take on the effectiveness of the Jumbo on our run game one bit, but the passing game was open, and we were running the ball well with Henderson. Daryl had an average of 6.36 yards per carry on 14 carries for 89 yards, with no big runs to inflate that 6.36 ypc average.

The defenses' bend don't break philosophy, was more like break don't bend and they can't continue to utilize that philosophy vs dual threat QB's (Hint: We face one in TNF this Week and no one wants to see a repeat of Sunday's game on Thursday Night) That said, having two turnover drives in the 1st half that averaged a total of 32 seconds is not a good thing, and compounds a totally gassed defense who has been bending and chasing that dual threat Zona QB all over the field! Of course those 2 turnover lead to 14 points.

Last, we can't all pretend like Stafford couldn't hit the side of a barn if it was more than 5 yards out. He was just horrible on Sunday, and I can't explain it. How does a guy go from the dude we saw in WK1,2 & 3, to that dude?

A Lions fan posted yesterday that he just has these types of games sometimes, and that to me is unacceptable. We had that here, and we traded it away with two 1 firsts, a former overall 1st, and took on a ton of cap space to get there. I mean if there was a reason like he had the flu, he was playing injured or something I wouldn't be sounding the alarm, but it just seems like we are suppose to over look his poor play because it was just one game, well so are playoff games, just one game so when I think of this, I think of his Playoff record.
That is why he is 0-3 in the playoffs.

Everyone likes to blame the Lions team as a whole for Stafford's record, but he has games like this more than just once in a while. And let's not kid ourselves, the signs were there early and they just didn't result in turnovers or loses.

He has been underthrowing receivers the past few games and missing throws as well. They just didn't turn into INT's and the D was able to make some plays to stop the opponents drives previously.

Stafford's play and the "bend don't break" D has shown signs of weakness for weeks. It just all came to a head this week, which is why I suspected a Cards win.

Can the Rams right the ship? I don't know, because McVay has shown that he doesn't make any adjustments to his gameplan regardless of opponent ( even at halftime ), and Stafford is going to have more games like this. If the D doesn't improve, Stafford's poor play and the leaky D will combine for more losses.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And then the ultimate dumbass move just happened. They cut Hocker from the PS when they didn't need to and this guy was rated the 10th best guard in this last draft. McVay's aversion toward O-lineman is so bad that he cuts them when he doesn't have to because Max Pircher's inclusion on the PS is not counted toward the total. Read the article. It just astounds me that McSnead pull this stupid shit that comes back to haunt them later what appears random and out of the blue for no apparent real reason that has any basis in reality.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What? Did I watch a different game than everyone else?

I wont discount your take on the effectiveness of the Jumbo on our run game one bit, but the passing game was open, and we were running the ball well with Henderson. Daryl had an average of 6.36 yards per carry on 14 carries for 89 yards, with no big runs to inflate that 6.36 ypc average.

The defenses' bend don't break philosophy, was more like break don't bend and they can't continue to utilize that philosophy vs dual threat QB's (Hint: We face one in TNF this Week and no one wants to see a repeat of Sunday's game on Thursday Night) That said, having two turnover drives in the 1st half that averaged a total of 32 seconds per drive is not a good thing, and compounds a totally gassed defense who has been bending and chasing that dual threat Zona QB all over the field! Of course those 2 turnovers lead to 14 points.

Last, we can't all pretend like Stafford couldn't hit the side of a barn if it was more than 5 yards out. He was just horrible on Sunday, and I can't explain it. How does a guy go from the dude we saw in WK1,2 & 3, to that dude?

A Lions fan posted yesterday that he just has these types of games sometimes, and that to me is unacceptable. We had that here, and we traded it away with two 1 firsts, a former overall 1st, and took on a ton of cap space to get there. I mean if there was a reason like he had the flu, he was playing injured or something I wouldn't be sounding the alarm, but it just seems like we are suppose to over look his poor play because it was just one game, well so are playoff games, just one game so when I think of this, I also think of his winless Playoff record.
I believe I mentioned that the D didn't show-up of which you expounded upon that the bend don't break philosophy of Morris is starting to have its effects. We are not the same D as last year as this article illuminates and teams are beginning to get that. If we don't start correcting some approaches and Stafford needs to leave his past or this thing can unravel in a hurry just as I surmised back during the preseason. Until McVay understands that he needs to be more aggressive on 4th downs like Fassel was with Hekker and make better overall decisions, change the D approach back to a more Staley approach and get Stafford's head straight, we ain't going anywhere in the post season.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here ya go with just how bad the D has fallen from the lofty perch of Number 1 as of a year ago. I feel bad for a guy like AD as the Rams are pissing away another year of an opportunity to get a ring at this guy's expense.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here ya go with just how bad the D has fallen from the lofty perch of Number 1 as of a year ago. I feel bad for a guy like AD as the Rams are pissing away another year of an opportunity to get a ring at this guy's expense.

He’s like this generation’s Steven Jackson. Guy was emmensly talented but never had a good enough team or coach behind him to get him anywhere near a Super Bowl.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

the biggest takeaways are the higher completion percentage and the 3rd down conversion rate.

Can't have QB's completing over 70% of passes and 50% of 3rd downs and expect the defense not to wear down and be even less effective.

I will say I think the D-line is improved as the ypc is down a bit from last year and SJD seems to be more productive than Brockers was. Lloyd is hit and miss ( which has been his MO ), but when are we going to see Garrett get some snaps and give this D some punch? Why is McVay and Co refusing to play him after the preseason he had?

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is why he is 0-3 in the playoffs.

Everyone likes to blame the Lions team as a whole for Stafford's record, but he has games like this more than just once in a while. And let's not kid ourselves, the signs were there early and they just didn't result in turnovers or loses.

He has been underthrowing receivers the past few games and missing throws as well. They just didn't turn into INT's and the D was able to make some plays to stop the opponents drives previously.

Stafford's play and the "bend don't break" D has shown signs of weakness for weeks. It just all came to a head this week, which is why I suspected a Cards win.

Can the Rams right the ship? I don't know, because McVay has shown that he doesn't make any adjustments to his gameplan regardless of opponent ( even at halftime ), and Stafford is going to have more games like this. If the D doesn't improve, Stafford's poor play and the leaky D will combine for more losses.
The scapegoat who clearly has his own issues, and enough talent to warrant a 1st Overall Pick that turned into an early big money extension, now resides in Detroit, has put the focus on McVay and Stafford.

But it clearly is not ALL on McVay & Stafford.

Especially If we see more problems with our defense on TNF this week. In the event the team struggles once again vs a talented QB who can makes plays with both his feet and arm, the Rams will need to take a hard look at Morris & his defensive philosophy vs particular offensive schemes and/or QB types like those two which are becoming more the norm in the NFL than not.

Losing Staley is already showing up this year, and Staley at 4-0, makes McVay not even the best coach LA, at least not this Week, that's for sure!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our Run D really went south on Sunday against the Cardinals when it was slowly improving. McVay and Morris seem to have this myopic quality that they lose sight of all the options available to them on a given gameday and I am quite certain the player's contracts have certain restrictions that provide a given player the necessary snaps to getting paid per the their contract which inhibits the coach from playing other players with less restrictive contract language.

This is very much like the situation with Atwell. We take this guy in the second round basically wasting that pick and McVay only let's him return punts when there is no excessive risk involved in handling the ball and because his fragile small body runs a high risk of catastrophic injury. If there is any perceived heightened risk when Atwell is in, he is pulled and Kupp gets to trot out onto the field and be the punt returner.

This whole mess is just a lack of vision and aggressiveness by McVay and some of the coaching staff that other teams are now doing and the results on the field are illuminating this very clearly to our detriment long-term.

Last edited:

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The scapegoat who clearly has his own issues, and enough talent to warrant a 1st Overall Pick that turned into an early big money extension, now resides in Detroit, has put the focus on McVay and Stafford.

But it clearly is not ALL on McVay & Stafford.

Especially If we see more problems with our defense on TNF this week. In the event the team struggles once again vs a talented QB who can makes plays with both his feet and arm, the Rams will need to take a hard look at Morris & his defensive philosophy vs particular offensive schemes and/or QB types like those two which are becoming more the norm in the NFL than not.

Losing Staley is already showing up this year, and Staley at 4-0, makes McVay not even the best coach LA, at least not this Week, that's for sure!
And the Chargers D looks like the Rams D from last year.

I understand there was no way for the Rams to stop him from leaving, but losing Staley really hurt this D way more than the players that left. Staley could work with this D, Morris can't.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As it always does, it starts with the HC and the FO.

There is no reason whatsoever to not be playing Atwell at least 15 plays a game to run screens and jet sweeps. \

There is no reason to not have Jones out there at LBer when the Rams are terrible at that position.

There is no reason to not give Garrett at least 20-25 snaps a game and see if he can give this D some punch that is sorely lacking and take some more pressure off of Donald who continues to get double and triple teamed.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree ALR. The only reasonable explanation is the total myopia McVay and his coaches continually display every year. McVay just does not have the practice or even maybe the ability to see the big picture on gameday and throughout the year. He routinely goes with the same game plan and cannot seem to make the adjustments needed or even re-invent himself to the changing quality of the NFL from year-to-year, Staley apparently has that even at his young age. This is how an experienced guy like Belicheat out-coached McVay to leave McVay standing on the sideline in the snooperbowl with the dumbest, vapid look on his face that he just got royally effed-in-the-ass and smacked over the head for not bringing the vaseline.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe I mentioned that the D didn't show-up of which you expounded upon that the bend don't break philosophy of Morris is starting to have its effects. We are not the same D as last year as this article illuminates and teams are beginning to get that. If we don't start correcting some approaches and Stafford needs to leave his past or this thing can unravel in a hurry just as I surmised back during the preseason. Until McVay understands that he needs to be more aggressive on 4th downs like Fassel was with Hekker and make better overall decisions, change the D approach back to a more Staley approach and get Stafford's head straight, we ain't going anywhere in the post season.
So we agree on those points, and I added a take or two.

The first sentence was totally in commentary to Stafford's piss poor performance for every throw over 10 yards.

Just not a word from you about the passing game except your comment on how the Jumbo can help the run and open up the passing game, but the run didn't need help except for those situations you commented on, specifically the red zone.

McVay's play calling that led to all those field goal or punt scenarios in the first half were awful!
  • The first...... pass/pass/pass Field Goal (The score 3-0 Rams);
  • The second...... pass/pass/pass Punt (The score 10-21 Cards);
  • The third...... pass/pass/pass Field Goal (The score 13-21 Cards)
To me, no one wanted to talk about Stafford's play, but I have a ton of concerns, mainly because I don't understand why this guy went from the elite QB he was in the first 3 weeks, to looking like a scared rookie on throws over 10 yards??????????? This was a team we have dominated for a very long time now and they got us back and they got us back good!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea that transaction would be a good look-see experience, unfortunately his contract is massive and we can't afford even a look-see. His albatross contract is in the same category as Cook, Gurley, Goff, and every Kevin Demoff-derived contract we have endured over the last five years.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea that transaction would be a good look-see experience, unfortunately his contract is massive and we can't afford even a look-see. His albatross contract is in the same category as Cook, Gurley, Goff, and every Kevin Demoff-derived contract we have endured over the last five years.
Aren't the Boys eating his contract and he is free to sign wherever for whatever?

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Can the Rams get this guy please!

They need another shutdown guy to pair with Ramsey, then move Ramsey back outside and shut down 2 sides of the field.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know on Smith, ALR. I just read that his contract still has four years left (including this year) at a total of $64+ million. I don't know if Jerry is going to pay for it or not. And I don't know if he is even worth a look-see at this point. Something pissed Jerry off enough to dump this guy. Looks like it might be a major injury to his knee. This has the look of a Todd Gurley mess.

On the Gilmore front: Ramsey has been lobbying Gilmore to come to the Rams and since he'll be a FA outright, the likelihood is very good Gilmore will be signed by the Rams because Ramsey and now Michel are friends. The question is can we afford him? WE have already re-structured contracts and we are getting pretty thin in cap space to have the means to afford Gilmore.

According to Adam Schefter, the likelihood is very good that Gilmore will be a Ram and that means David Long is gone because Long has been effing-up badly. Taylor Rapp has also not been playing very well and has a badly injured ankle. If push comes to shove, they can always put Long on the PS to make room for Gilmore. So some changes may be in store after the Seattle game for the D.

Last edited: