• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Question on cap & Romo's contract

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it shows as of now Romo costing us 27.7 mil next year without doing the dreaded "R" word.
Also shows us as of right now using 128+ mil against the cap. Now isnt the cap suppose to be around 132 mil next year?
So my question is if we could afford it, wouldnt it be better to just eat the 27.7 mil next year instead of making it even worse later on by restructuring?

When we sign Dez & others, we all know the 1st years of these contracts usually are cheap against the cap, so honestly I can see us with more cap space as far as 2015 goes. Dont know what all is gonna happen so I dont know if we will be able to afford it when it is said & done, but to you capologists out there. If we could afford it wouldnt it be better to bite a chunck of the romo bullet in 2015. While he still plays for us.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oops didnt mean to hit the 2 :doh:

isnt it suppose to be something like 137+ mil in 2015?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love to NOT restructure Tony Romo next year, but we will. No way we can carry that number.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me be even clearer.

Romo's dead money if we were to cut him pre 6/1 is around $37M next year so he is not a cut option unless he is actually dead. Think about that next time the discussion of how restructuring isn't a big deal comes up. Or how people here say that if we got under the cap it proves it wasn't a problem. The money doesn't go away and I've been saying for years our restructures have been short sighted. WE didn't do them out of need, we did them so we could spend more! Also, his current cap hit is almost $30M for 2015 so we are basically forced to dig in even deeper and restructure again. His contract crushes what was already a poor cap situation. So he better be healthy and he better play like a Pro Bowler because his contract keeps us form putting other talent on this team.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me be even clearer.

Romo's dead money if we were to cut him pre 6/1 is around $37M next year so he is not a cut option unless he is actually dead. Think about that next time the discussion of how restructuring isn't a big deal comes up. Or how people here say that if we got under the cap it proves it wasn't a problem. The money doesn't go away and I've been saying for years our restructures have been short sighted. WE didn't do them out of need, we did them so we could spend more! Also, his current cap hit is almost $30M for 2015 so we are basically forced to dig in even deeper and restructure again. His contract crushes what was already a poor cap situation. So he better be healthy and he better play like a Pro Bowler because his contract keeps us form putting other talent on this team.
maybe I am reading the #'s wrong, but as it shows for the moment in 2015. even with Romo counting for 27.7 mil. We would be under the cap. I was never suggesting cutting him, but dealing with the whole 27.7 mil. instead of pushing it into a dead zone later. Which if we could do this, would help with whatever dead money we had to deal with him later on.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oops didnt mean to hit the 2 :doh:

isnt it suppose to be something like 137+ mil in 2015?

hearing that it might jump again like it did for 2014. some reports say that 2015 cap could be between 144-147M

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me be even clearer.

wow

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerrah proved to be a fool for giving Romo that contract,,, I suppose it is the going rate. I would think it was obvious to everyone (except Jerrah} that Romo was not going to carry this team to a superbowl. Romo is good, but he is not an elway or marino. I don't see Romo lasting the season with Bernadeaux and Doug Free on the right side. One way to help the defense would be to upgrade the OL and run the ball more

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerrah proved to be a fool for giving Romo that contract,,, I suppose it is the going rate. I would think it was obvious to everyone (except Jerrah} that Romo was not going to carry this team to a superbowl. Romo is good, but he is not an elway or marino. I don't see Romo lasting the season with Bernadeaux and Doug Free on the right side. One way to help the defense would be to upgrade the OL and run the ball more
Hmmm... So what does any of this have to do with the cap & whether we should eat 27.7 mil all at once or continue to push it down the line?
Or are you just bashing romo when you see the chance?
I dont care about what shoulda been done in the past with this question, but what should we do now or in the near future?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe I am reading the #'s wrong, but as it shows for the moment in 2015. even with Romo counting for 27.7 mil. We would be under the cap. I was never suggesting cutting him, but dealing with the whole 27.7 mil. instead of pushing it into a dead zone later. Which if we could do this, would help with whatever dead money we had to deal with him later on.

Not sure, but we aren't there yet. Does it have Smith at $10M? You need to add Dez's contract too. Getting rid of Ware and Miles helped a lot in future years.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Currently (Pre June 1st)

No dead money in 2015 (This will change June 1st with Myles)

Total current contracts going into 2015

This is without the update on Smith. Who is going to count 10 million

120.7 million. ( add the 10 ) 130.7- 131 million

you would have to eat 37.4 million to cut Romo His cap his is 27.7 .... so add 10 million to it. But NO we wont eat almost 40 million to get rid of Romo.
In 2016 Romos cap hit drops back to 17.6 million and only 19 to cut ( This will be the first oppertunity to cut him.

We have 20 million in dead money right now ... That's where you will find the relief money to sign Dez

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure, but we aren't there yet. Does it have Smith at $10M? You need to add Dez's contract too. Getting rid of Ware and Miles helped a lot in future years.

that's the thing. With Dez & Smith. If they were able to take all 27.7 of Romo's contract off the books by end of next year. you know when Dez & Smith do their new contracts the 1st year is always the cheapest. (not going off avg.) so moving as much of Romo's contract off the books before Dez & Smiths contracts bloat up would be a good thing.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Currently (Pre June 1st)

No dead money in 2015 (This will change June 1st with Myles)

Total current contracts going into 2015

This is without the update on Smith. Who is going to count 10 million

120.7 million. ( add the 10 ) 130.7- 131 million

you would have to eat 37.4 million to cut Romo His cap his is 27.7 .... so add 10 million to it. But NO we wont eat almost 40 million to get rid of Romo.
In 2016 Romos cap hit drops back to 17.6 million and only 19 to cut ( This will be the first oppertunity to cut him.

We have 20 million in dead money right now ... That's where you will find the relief money to sign Dez
This is correct, though I don't believe Romo is getting cut until we see a young guy on the roster who Jerry believes in. In other words, when Romo is eligible for the SR's tour....

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me be even clearer.

I was under the impression that Romo's willingness to restructure his contract to allow more talent to be put on the team in prior seasons is the reason why we are in this situation.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was under the impression that Romo's willingness to restructure his contract to allow more talent to be put on the team in prior seasons is the reason why we are in this situation.

Willingness? Romo's restructures have basically been him getting a check today for money he otherwise would have received later on. What willingness does that take? There was no concern on his part over adding other players. As I mentioned those restructures were done to add players that we didn't necessarily need in the past or to overpay for some of our poor contracts. We pushed off the problem and spent future years $'s at the expense of poor decisions in the past or present. So now if we stop restructuring we need to pay the piper and that means a huge cap hit from Romo that completely limits what else we can do. If we keep restructuring him it makes the problem bigger in future years. If not for Romo's contract and the constant restructures we've done we probably would have Ware for one more year.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Willingness? Romo's restructures have basically been him getting a check today for money he otherwise would have received later on. What willingness does that take? There was no concern on his part over adding other players. As I mentioned those restructures were done to add players that we didn't necessarily need in the past or to overpay for some of our poor contracts. We pushed off the problem and spent future years $'s at the expense of poor decisions in the past or present. So now if we stop restructuring we need to pay the piper and that means a huge cap hit from Romo that completely limits what else we can do. If we keep restructuring him it makes the problem bigger in future years. If not for Romo's contract and the constant restructures we've done we probably would have Ware for one more year.

You can resent Romo's contract, that is your right. But there is no reality based claim that Romo is personally responsible (partially or not) for our cap issues.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is why if we can afford it I would rather deal with his cap # next year instead of just restructuring just to free up money to shop with!

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can resent Romo's contract, that is your right. But there is no reality based claim that Romo is personally responsible (partially or not) for our cap issues.

Assuming I Resent his contract is kind of silly. Resent is based on personal feeling. I'm just stating facts. It is indeed a fact that Romo's contract is the single biggest reason why we have a cap problem. That isn't opinion and it isn't resent...it's Math. His contract ABSOLUTELY is a reason why we can't spend $'s elsewhere. Nowhere did I say it was his fault. It's the Jones clan at work.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is why if we can afford it I would rather deal with his cap # next year instead of just restructuring just to free up money to shop with!

Me too...I just don't see anyway that happens

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming I Resent his contract is kind of silly. Resent is based on personal feeling. I'm just stating facts. It is indeed a fact that Romo's contract is the single biggest reason why we have a cap problem. That isn't opinion and it isn't resent...it's Math. His contract ABSOLUTELY is a reason why we can't spend $'s elsewhere. Nowhere did I say it was his fault. It's the Jones clan at work.

that's right it is HIS contract but the reason we're in cap trouble is not his fault. it is the fault of the individual who handed out the idiotic contracts. in other words the blame lays squarely on JJ's shoulders