• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Question on cap & Romo's contract

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that's right it is HIS contract but the reason we're in cap trouble is not his fault. it is the fault of the individual who handed out the idiotic contracts. in other words the blame lays squarely on JJ's shoulders
all starting QB's that are in the top 16 (top half) are gonna have crazy contracts. That is the going rate. I guess we could have gone cheap & had Weeden as our starter. other teams work around their starting QB contracts, so I dont think Romo's contract alone is the reason for cap problems. All teams will have to deal with that type of contract to work around.
Carr, Austin, Ratliff & others like that is what started burying us.
I have seen a change that I hope continues on how they are structuring contracts to avoid injuries killing us. So lets hope those kinda contracts become the norm.

Last edited by a moderator:

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So basically its a league now that if you have a good QB , you really cant afford to have injuries. Or you can draft a QB in the second and third rounds and hope to win within their first few yrs before they hit that big contract. Imagine the Legion of Boom when Russell gets paid. They lost 2 already.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So basically its a league now that if you have a good QB , you really cant afford to have injuries. Or you can draft a QB in the second and third rounds and hope to win within their first few yrs before they hit that big contract. Imagine the Legion of Boom when Russell gets paid. They lost 2 already.

Kind of, but it's not an absolute. It all comes down to EVERYTHING you do. A $20M contract makes it harder to do well if that player doesn't earn his salary, but not impossible. Also, A cheap Richard Sherman versus an expensive Revis can offset the QB contract to some extent. But, doesn't common sense tell you that if you spend $20M on a QB per year instead of $3M it will leave less money available for other players? What killed us was not just the size of Romo's contract, but the way we restructure it. He isn't a $20M guy next year, he is a $27M guy. Also, no two players are alike. Spending $20M on Peyton Manning doesn't hurt your team as much as spending $20M on Romo or Cutler. Doesn't mean they aren't good players, but they aren't Peyton Manning. Same for WRs. Mike Wallace's contract is horrible, but some others in that price range are not as bad because they give more production per $. The key is ultimately to draft well. The more cheap, young players you continue to bring in the more you can afford a couple huge contracts. If you have an Aaron Rodgers waiting in the wings you can afford to get rid of a Brett Farve.