• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Quarterback matchups in your Championship Games

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 title games.
I have Wilson in one, and Foles in the other.
My opponents have Newton in both.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
weather forecast this Sunday:

Philly - high of 68, 30% chance of rain, 15 mph winds - showers will be spotty across the region during the day, and get heavier into the evening/night

DC - high of 71, 40% chance of rain all day and night, 16 mph winds during the day, dropping back to 10 mph at night.

I will definitely be keeping an eye on this weather situation leading up to the games, more so than normal

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big money league:
I have Stafford(Foles on bench) vs Brees

Dynasty league:
I have Stafford(Foles on bench) vs Brady

2QB league:
I have Stafford and Cousins vs Brees and Big Ben

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luck vs Cutler

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's so hard with my league... You are basically stuck with who you draft unless you draft someone who wont play.... You can't just drop anyone. You have to have a player actively on a roster go 3 weeks with no stats OR go on IR to replace them. If that happens, you can only replace them with someone in that same position.

I actually made 2 trades to get players who were going to be eligible to be dropped.
In my league, you draft the team QB. So if you drafted Vick then you automatically have Foles on your roster. Plus if your starting FF QB leaves the game at any point, returns or doesn't return, you still get the back- up QB's stats for the rest of the game.

The QB position is the only one we do that for.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SFNL - this is interesting that you raised this tally of QB.

I just went through all 6 leagues I'm in, and only one guy has Brees. It's interesting to me because of how quickly some guys come off the boards in the Summertime drafts. And Brees is usually one of those QB.

In going through the 6 leagues I also noticed that only 1 team had Jimmy Graham and nobody had Megatron. Just saying.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hrmm... For some unknown reason, my opponent in one league has switched out her Brees for her Big Ben?? I'm speechless

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SFNL - this is interesting that you raised this tally of QB.

I just went through all 6 leagues I'm in, and only one guy has Brees. It's interesting to me because of how quickly some guys come off the boards in the Summertime drafts. And Brees is usually one of those QB.

In going through the 6 leagues I also noticed that only 1 team had Jimmy Graham and nobody had Megatron. Just saying.

I'd explain that away the lack of the early QB portion of this with a conglomeration of possibly meaningless crap...
First off Foles off waivers gave a lot of teams that waited on a QB a solid option. Secondly the injury to Rodgers, and thirdly, the rather mediocre performance of Manning in what was a playoff game for many of his owners.

As for Graham/Calvin... That's why I never have them on my team, not that I don't think they're great, but it's not advantageous to Draft them where they go.
And this is just another piece of evidence supporting that

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hrmm... For some unknown reason, my opponent in one league has switched out her Brees for her Big Ben?? I'm speechless

I think it has to do with their respective match ups. GB's D is porous and Carolina's isn't a pushover. Plus Brees doesn't always do as well away from New Orleans. I'd actually do the same thing if I had both QBs.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got Megatron on 2 of my 3 teams in the SB this year. Both PPR leagues. Drafted him in 1, traded for him in another.

Only time I've ever had Jimmy Graham I took 2nd in a 12tm PPR league, but I traded to get him, didnt draft him.

I think a lot of that has to do with how your drafts go. Every one in my league that I drafted Megatron in went for a RB in round 1. I took Megatron and Alf Morris at the turn. Still kicking myself for not going with my gut and getting Marshall or Forte instead of Morris.

gobigred

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,849,613.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have either Brady/Cutler vs Foles.

Still haven't decided who to start yet between Brady and Cutler

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're seeing with Foles some of what we saw with Vick a few years ago - waiver-wire QB that was on a lot of championship teams.

The lesson here is: don't be complacent about your above-average fantasy QB and let the Next Big Thing go to somebody desperate at the position - because that team that's desperate at QB is desperate because they built strong at other positions. Add a breakout QB to that and you have a championship.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well said, Wil.

P.S. I didn't see AP on any of those teams either. Again, just saying.

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought about doing RB 1 and 2 as well as WR 1 and 2s but figured that would be a little too hard to do since things usually change for people through the year. I've had a solid RB1 with charles but no true RB2 until Brown came back. My WR's have been Marshall and Green but no clear cut #3 until I grabbed Crabtree.

The other guys team has been a mess, but an effective one.

Also, I only had 1 injury all year and that was Bradshaw after TRich was traded so it didn't bother me much.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well said, Wil.

P.S. I didn't see AP on any of those teams either. Again, just saying.

Well that could also be because he missed last week, if his team survived, they may be holding out putting him back in till he's a certainty to play. . Just playing Devils advocate. My own 10 team league where I'm in the finals is that exact situation. . Currently have Ryan Mathews and Bobby Rainey in, awaiting confirmation as to whether AP plays or not.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point, Treff. (Though I thought I looked over the "benches" too? But maybe not.) Oops.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd explain that away the lack of the early QB portion of this with a conglomeration of possibly meaningless crap...
First off Foles off waivers gave a lot of teams that waited on a QB a solid option. Secondly the injury to Rodgers, and thirdly, the rather mediocre performance of Manning in what was a playoff game for many of his owners.

As for Graham/Calvin... That's why I never have them on my team, not that I don't think they're great, but it's not advantageous to Draft them where they go.
And this is just another piece of evidence supporting that

It depends on how big the league is and what draft position you have. Last season (14 team league .5ppr) I drafted Forte' 12th overall and came back with Gronk going down in the 2nd. I made it to the bowl but lost.

Then drew the 13th spot this year and did the same. Forte' 13th and Graham 17th. In the bowl again this season.

Finding a consistent TE who is a must start each week regardless of match-up is much harder to find IMO than a number 1 WR.

After looking, no WR or TE has caught more TD's than Graham has so far (14) through week 15. Plus no other TE is in the top 26 in receiving stats. JG is 14th overall and Jordan Cameron is 27th right now.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It depends on how big the league is and what draft position you have. Last season (14 team league .5ppr) I drafted Forte' 12th overall and came back with Gronk going down in the 2nd. I made it to the bowl but lost.

Then drew the 13th spot this year and did the same. Forte' 13th and Graham 17th. In the bowl again this season.

Finding a consistent TE who is a must start each week regardless of match-up is much harder to find IMO than a number 1 WR.

After looking, no WR or TE has caught more TD's than Graham has so far (14) through week 15. Plus no other TE is in the top 26 in receiving stats. JG is 14th overall and Jordan Cameron is 27th right now.

Well this is obviously a multi faceted debate that probably deserves it's own thread, but just real quickly, taking what you've just mentioned, taking what Joe observed, and my own experiences, this year and in years past. . I see an awful lot more Witten/Davis/Cameron teams than I do Graham. As Joe mentioned, just saying. Whether it's becuase the teams in mine, and Joe's, leagues didn't Draft the rest of the team well, or didn't manage them well throughout the year, or maybe they invested too high of a pick on a TE, is a different debate.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course it wouldn't hurt to have drafted Graham in the second if the rest of your team now is Foles, Lacy, Moreno, Gordon and Jeffery.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're seeing with Foles some of what we saw with Vick a few years ago - waiver-wire QB that was on a lot of championship teams.

The lesson here is: don't be complacent about your above-average fantasy QB and let the Next Big Thing go to somebody desperate at the position - because that team that's desperate at QB is desperate because they built strong at other positions. Add a breakout QB to that and you have a championship.

While this is very wise advice, it can be hit or miss too.

Just went through one of my league adds: Schaub was a dud of an add. Rivers was an early "ww" gem. Bradford was so-so. Pryor was hot then cold. Alex Smith was eh. Eli - who was so desperate to add Eli? Yikes! Geno Smith, another desperate owner. Big Ben was mediocre. Foles! Ding! Ding! Ding! Jackpot! Freeman, reach. Vick, ick. McCown - awesome yet temporary. And then it goes downhill again.