• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

QB options for next year

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Round 1 Qbs are day one starters, no way in hell we pay geno $30m to be a backup.

What coach are we going to hire thats fine sticking with a 34 year old QB with two years left on his deal?

Dan quinn? Maybe, but that means running it back with a bloated unworkable roster destined to fail.

We need a hard reboot.

Cutting Geno means he is still 17 million dollar cap hit and you still need to get a new QB to replace him whether it is a starter or backup. Are saying that the 10 million additional cap money is unacceptable.

1st round QBs are often day 1 starters. But not always. Pickett, Love, Lance. I think it it would be much smarter for us to keep Geno for a year during the migration.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the next HC is a defensive guy -- Vrabel or Quinn seem to be the most obvious ones -- then I think it's much more likely to stick with Geno at least 1 more season. But if we hire the next up and coming OC to replace Pete, then to me that is the scenario where we'll make more changes on offense and more likely to gulp down a little dead money hit now in order to let the new leader work with a blank slate. 2/15 is really when we'll have the best idea, or at least a clearer picture than we have now. We can debate it all day long, but the next tell is 2/15.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the next HC is a defensive guy -- Vrabel or Quinn seem to be the most obvious ones -- then I think it's much more likely to stick with Geno at least 1 more season. But if we hire the next up and coming OC to replace Pete, then to me that is the scenario where we'll make more changes on offense and more likely to gulp down a little dead money hit now in order to let the new leader work with a blank slate. 2/15 is really when we'll have the best idea, or at least a clearer picture than we have now. We can debate it all day long, but the next tell is 2/15.
Big date yes, but likely the Seahawks will hire a HC before that date and who that person is could be the next tell perhaps. Like you said if it is a upcoming offensive as next HC he'll want to change the offense system and have a QB to mold around it.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big date yes, but likely the Seahawks will hire a HC before that date and who that person is could be the next tell perhaps. Like you said if it is a upcoming offensive as next HC he'll want to change the offense system and have a QB to mold around it.
Yeah, but even when we hire a new HC (I suspect it will be WAY before 2/15), we'll still be speculating on Geno before something tangible happens. He could be cut before then. Could be re-structured before then. Or they could just wait to decide until they have to.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but even when we hire a new HC (I suspect it will be WAY before 2/15), we'll still be speculating on Geno before something tangible happens. He could be cut before then. Could be re-structured before then. Or they could just wait to decide until they have to.
A restructure kicks the can down the road. I would rather they cut him.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A restructure kicks the can down the road. I would rather they cut him.
Yeah, my point was just about what is going to happen that will tell us definitively if Geno is here for 2024 or not. If they decide to restructure to lessen the 2024 cap hit, then that's a pretty clear indicator he's here 1 more year.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, my point was just about what is going to happen that will tell us definitively if Geno is here for 2024 or not. If they decide to restructure to lessen the 2024 cap hit, then that's a pretty clear indicator he's here 1 more year.
Fair.

I think if they restructure the. That tells me they think they are a lot closer than most of us think right now

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair.

I think if they restructure the. That tells me they think they are a lot closer than most of us think right now
Or they just want more time to figure out the long term answer at QB. Move a little money around to make Geno cost less in 2024 and hope that their guy is there in the draft, and then either be ok with having that QB sit a year or be ok with Flynn/Wilson 2.0. And then if their guy is not there, Geno still costs a little less this year, and you traded a little 2025 cap space for your 1 year insurance policy.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are completely irrational when it comes to Geno so there is no point even trying to reason with you.

I am? You are the one that said Geno is the most clutch QB in the NFL. lol talk about delusional.

You want Geno as the QB, and think he is a good QB. Just go back and read your posts. Geno is the 19th ranked QB in the NFL. like it or not and this was his 2nd best season EVER!

Last edited:

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am? You are the one that said Geno is the most clutch QB in the NFL. lol talk about delusional.
I didn't say that.

I provided a statistical point about this year. Sorry you hate facts

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say that.

I provided a statistical point about this year. Sorry you hate facts.

I love stats, and facts but you just pick and choose or twist not looking at the big picture. The offensive talent on this team is elite and can carry a QB. They made Lock look really good even though you could see how rusty he was. A talented QB would make our offense top 10 if not top 5.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love stats, and facts but you just pick and choose or twist not looking at the big picture. The offensive talent on this team is elite and can carry a QB. They made Lock look really good even though you could see how rusty he was. A talented QB would make our offense top 10 if not top 5.
The NFL QBs overall are a motley bunch, so much so that Geno was middle of the pack last season.What is he next season is the question that needs answering. I see him regressing some more, perhaps some him see about the same as 2024. Either way it turns out I'd rather see the Seahawks take full advantage of the window a rookie QB contract gives a NFL team and not carry another QB at the cost of 31 million, provided a good QB prospect is available in the draft and by a good prospect I mean a first round worthy prospect.
Seahawks have some weapons on offense, but need the OL to improve to take advantage of them. Can't have the RBs getting hit behind the line of scrimmage repeatedly and the QB needs time to survey the field to find the open receiver. A rookie may find it challenging year one so I'm not predicting how it works out immediately. Now releasing the obvious expensive players provides some cap space but cutting Geno saves 22.5 next season and that's a chunk especially when added to the other obvious cuts. Might be able to use that to upgrade the OL in free agency among other things. I just hope that prospect is there to be had when the Seahawks pick, no guarantee that he will.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Again, you see what you want to see and you've been obsessed with Geno since before the season started.

Whether you are capable of accepting it or not here are the facts....

Does that make Geno the most clutch QB in the NFL? No. And it certainly doesn't make him anywhere close to the best QB in football. But he was historically clutch this season.

This team has a lot of talent at the skill positions. But the offensive line was mediocre, at best. In games when Kenneth Walker had 70+ yards rushing, the Seahawks were 5-0.

Drew Lock had a passer rating of 81 and a QBR of 43 this season. The only place he looked "really good" was in your imagination.

And before you even bother, I don't care about Geno Smith. If we cut him next week, I'll be more than fine with moving on.

I realize that you will ignore all these points because this has become religion for you but for the rest of us, we are more concerned with the team actually getting better rather who the QB will be.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL QBs overall are a motley bunch, so much so that Geno was middle of the pack last season.What is he next season is the question that needs answering. I see him regressing some more, perhaps some him see about the same as 2024. Either way it turns out I'd rather see the Seahawks take full advantage of the window a rookie QB contract gives a NFL team and not carry another QB at the cost of 31 million, provided a good QB prospect is available in the draft and by a good prospect I mean a first round worthy prospect.

Why does everyone keep focusing on Geno's 31 million cap hit as if we cut him and that goes away? 13.8 million goes away. The team is on the hook for the rest. Keep Geno another year and his dead money value is 8.5 million.

His contract was structured so that it was only somewhat painful to cut him this year and pretty painless to cut him next year.

Seahawks have some weapons on offense, but need the OL to improve to take advantage of them. Can't have the RBs getting hit behind the line of scrimmage repeatedly and the QB needs time to survey the field to find the open receiver. A rookie may find it challenging year one so I'm not predicting how it works out immediately. Now releasing the obvious expensive players provides some cap space but cutting Geno saves 22.5 next season and that's a chunk especially when added to the other obvious cuts. Might be able to use that to upgrade the OL in free agency among other things. I just hope that prospect is there to be had when the Seahawks pick, no guarantee that he will.

We don't save 22.5 million next year by cutting Geno. At least, not exactly. Again, post-June 1st cuts simply split the cap hit over 2 years. If we really need the money we could tack on some null years to his contract.

Cutting Adams, Diggs, Dissly, and Money saves about 30 million in actual cap.

10HtownRebs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,298,636.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey look, it's someone who just saw Michael Penix play for the first time!

How are those broken ribs? When the surgery?

Report says he has an ankle injury after the game...LOLOL

He couldn't have put on a bigger show grabbing his ribs. Somebody will waste money on him tho..

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How are those broken ribs? When the surgery?

Report says he has an ankle injury after the game...LOLOL

He couldn't have put on a bigger show grabbing his ribs. Somebody will waste money on him tho..

You don't get surgery for broken ribs, you sentient tumbleweed.

It's like you're addicted to be wrong online.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, you see what you want to see and you've been obsessed with Geno since before the season started.

Whether you are capable of accepting it or not here are the facts....

Does that make Geno the most clutch QB in the NFL? No. And it certainly doesn't make him anywhere close to the best QB in football. But he was historically clutch this season.

This team has a lot of talent at the skill positions. But the offensive line was mediocre, at best. In games when Kenneth Walker had 70+ yards rushing, the Seahawks were 5-0.

Drew Lock had a passer rating of 81 and a QBR of 43 this season. The only place he looked "really good" was in your imagination.

And before you even bother, I don't care about Geno Smith. If we cut him next week, I'll be more than fine with moving on.

I realize that you will ignore all these points because this has become religion for you but for the rest of us, we are more concerned with the team actually getting better rather who the QB will be.

Lol Geno is a bottom teir QB that doesn't elevate the talent around him. That's what you want from a QB. Lock played well against the 49ers in Levi stadium He kept the team in the game with less than a day of #1 reps. The next week he beat the eagles. Geno AT BEST goes 1 and 1 in those two games. A rusty Lock went 1 and 1.

Also go back to 2021 and you will see me defending Geno. Yeah that's something a person with hate or some made up vendetta would do right? Geno was carried by a talented wr group and I personally would Say a top 2 Wr group in the NFL a YE group that wasn't used enough and a running game that didn't get enough chances in many games. He was carried and bolstered and that's fine, thats how you win games. You build a team strong enough to do JUST THAT. Once done you plug in your young qb.

Geno will not even be a top 19 QB next year and I don't get how you can't see this. Cut him get out of debt and actually have 13 million In Space. Sign a low dollar vet and get your young QB on the roster be it draft or trade.

Keep pretending Geno is a good QB if that's what you want. Geno is a good back up. That's it and to expensive for that role.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so you confirming he does have broken ribs?

I don't know if your helmet needs to be tightened or loosened, but have someone check it for you.

Til then, remember, the coloring goes INSIDE the lines.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,071.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rather than go with Geno for 1 more season cut him and go with Lock for a season and get a QB in '25. Since a full season of Lock prolly equates to 5-12 or so.