• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

QB options for next year

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I hear the hawks will be 7mill OTC in 2024. Cutting Geno and Adam's give them a nice bit of cap room but some dead cap to deal with. That's better than being over the cap though.
They need the cap space so I think it's a done deal.

Reactions: MrS

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A post June 1st cut splits the cost over 2 years.
Yes and splitting 17 million over 2 years is not that painful. Paying him 31 million this year AND still having 8.7 dead money when you cut in 2025 sure is.

Last edited:

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I hear the hawks will be 7mill OTC in 2024. Cutting Geno and Adam's give them a nice bit of cap room but some dead cap to deal with. That's better than being over the cap though.

I would sign Lock to be the vet back up QB, He comes much cheaper than Geno.

Adams, Diggs, and Dissley are almost certain cuts. Bryan Mone as well. Lockett will need to restructure.

I don't see any coach that is going to be comfortable with starting off their tenure in Seattle with Lock as their starting QB.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adams, Diggs, and Dissley are almost certain cuts. Bryan Mone as well. Lockett will need to restructure.

I don't see any coach that is going to be comfortable with starting off their tenure in Seattle with Lock as their starting QB.
Lock would be the backup.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Theres a good chance lockett is gone too,. Question i have is can we get anything in a trade for lockett and geno?

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Theres a good chance lockett is gone too,. Question i have is can we get anything in a trade for lockett and geno?
How do you trade older players that have big contracts? We would probably have to agree to still eat a good chunk of their 2024 cap, and at that point it's probably better to do right by the player and release them so they can pick their next team.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we draft a rookie in the 1st we would be foolish to move on from Geno

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting first round rookie QBs is more the norm now a days and in fact it helps justify or excuse a 8-9 season in a way starting Geno would not.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting first round rookie QBs is more the norm now a days and in fact it helps justify or excuse a 8-9 season in a way starting Geno would not.
sure but if you don't have to why do it?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geno 34 had a OK season, but regressed from the previous season. I doubt he plays better next season in a different system, different coaching, a coach that doesn’t have his back.like Pete did and it leaves 22 million in cap space cutting him vs taking 35 million out of the cap to keep him.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geno 34 had a OK season, but regressed from the previous season. I doubt he plays better next season in a different system, different coaching, a coach that doesn’t have his back.like Pete did and it leaves 22 million in cap space cutting him vs taking 35 million out of the cap to keep him.
We aren't taking 35 million off the cap. We are taking half that.

Geno was arguably the most clutch QB in the NFL this year. Of course he had lots of bad plays as well but any QB we replace him with will have a bunch of bad plays as well.

This team was 6-0 against sub .500 teams. We struggled against good teams because they outplayed us.

Look at all of our losses and ask yourself this. How many of those games were really on Geno?

Rams games?
miners games?
Ravens game?
Steelers game?
Cowboys?
Bengals?

He won't elevate the team to be beat teams when the team plays poorly like Mahomes or Burrow or Allen does. But he did have 7 games where he took the team to a game tying or leading score in 7 games this year.

Replace our run d with a league average run D and we win 11 or 12 games

I get that fans want to believe in the magical QB that fixes everything but that isn't how the game is played

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we end up with a defensive HC, and I think we do in Dan Quinn, I don't think that guy wants to be using the #16 reaching on a QB. I think it's best Dlineman available, and that leads me to thinking they find a QB who they think has some game and experience in the NFL.

Bears take either Maye or Williams and they'll need to soften his landing with a vet WR weapon.

Lockett and a 3rd, or DK straight up for Justin Fields.

Don't love it, don't absolutely hate it either, but change will be coming.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you trade older players that have big contracts? We would probably have to agree to still eat a good chunk of their 2024 cap, and at that point it's probably better to do right by the player and release them so they can pick their next team.
its unlikely anyone would take lockett in a trade, thats a dream scenario.

Geno probably has some value even if its a 3rd rounder. Better to get something for him
DK straight up for Justin Fields.
No bro just fucking no, that would be highway robbery

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We aren't taking 35 million off the cap. We are taking half that.

Geno was arguably the most clutch QB in the NFL this year. Of course he had lots of bad plays as well but any QB we replace him with will have a bunch of bad plays as well.

This team was 6-0 against sub .500 teams. We struggled against good teams because they outplayed us.

Look at all of our losses and ask yourself this. How many of those games were really on Geno?

Rams games?
miners games?
Ravens game?
Steelers game?
Cowboys?
Bengals?

He won't elevate the team to be beat teams when the team plays poorly like Mahomes or Burrow or Allen does. But he did have 7 games where he took the team to a game tying or leading score in 7 games this year.

Replace our run d with a league average run D and we win 11 or 12 games

I get that fans want to believe in the magical QB that fixes everything but that isn't how the game is played
The goal isn't to be a fringe football team, it's to build a championship roster. What good does having Geno on the roster? To win a couple more games, be a fringe playoff team? He'll be even older and the rookie QB will not be getting reps in games ( provided you even drafted a QB) Draft a rookie, save cap space. If the rookie plays well or shows some promise you have a potential foundation piece with some experience, if he bombs you end up with great draft positions to add to the roster and you try next draft that has a good QB group.
I not as concerned with the record next season as I am in building a foundation for team that can carry the Seahawks to success for a few years. A QB is a very important piece that has to be found despite the difficulty of finding one and this year is a very good draft class for QBs ( and next year it isn't) and the Seahawks need to try to hit on one, not be concerned that golly Geno might win a few more games in 2024 then a rookie. This team needs to fill holes yet (including QB) so the concern should be on building for the future, by drafting young players to replace expensive old players, save on cap, get the young players experience and coaching.

Reactions: MrS

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sure but if you don't have to why do it?
The best reason to keep Geno around might be you need to decide before you know if you can land a decent prospect at QB in the draft.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The goal isn't to be a fringe football team, it's to build a championship roster. What good does having Geno on the roster? To win a couple more games, be a fringe playoff team? He'll be even older and the rookie QB will not be getting reps in games ( provided you even drafted a QB) Draft a rookie, save cap space. If the rookie plays well or shows some promise you have a potential foundation piece with some experience, if he bombs you end up with great draft positions to add to the roster and you try next draft that has a good QB group.
I not as concerned with the record next season as I am in building a foundation for team that can carry the Seahawks to success for a few years. A QB is a very important piece that has to be found despite the difficulty of finding one and this year is a very good draft class for QBs ( and next year it isn't) and the Seahawks need to try to hit on one, not be concerned that golly Geno might win a few more games in 2024 then a rookie. This team needs to fill holes yet (including QB) so the concern should be on building for the future, by drafting young players to replace expensive old players, save on cap, get the young players experience and coaching.

I don't think you are looking at this the right way. You are looking at like a fan that has no downside to a bad year.

Whomever our new coach will be, he will be compared to Pete and his results. As much as you might say you are ok with the team being terrible next year, the reality is that coach will be expected to be better than Pete. If he wins up winning 4 games because he changed things up, he will be basically on the chopping block. He may get another year but his wiggle room will be close to zero.

OTOH, if a coach can make modest changes and make this team an 11 or 12 win team that still isn't a realistic SB team, he will be given a ton more latitude going forward.

A smart coach will do everything he can to win next year while also building for the future. Which would mean drafting a QB but having Geno as the starter next year.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,938.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think you are looking at this the right way. You are looking at like a fan that has no downside to a bad year.

Whomever our new coach will be, he will be compared to Pete and his results. As much as you might say you are ok with the team being terrible next year, the reality is that coach will be expected to be better than Pete. If he wins up winning 4 games because he changed things up, he will be basically on the chopping block. He may get another year but his wiggle room will be close to zero.

OTOH, if a coach can make modest changes and make this team an 11 or 12 win team that still isn't a realistic SB team, he will be given a ton more latitude going forward.

A smart coach will do everything he can to win next year while also building for the future. Which would mean drafting a QB but having Geno as the starter next year.

Winning 11 or 12 games with Geno is a pipe dream. Geno is a .500 QB. That's all he will ever be even in his greatest season that's all he is. Let's not forget this offense is loaded with skill position talent. Time to have that talent carry a young QB.

Don't waste any more time on a aging QB with no upside. Also no Geno isn't the most CLUTCH QB that's ridiculous. The offense would change to quick timing route.and up tempo play to get those late 4qrt wins and that style of play takes the QB's progression or lack there of out of the equation.

Last edited:

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Win enough games to stay mediocre and avoid being able to ever draft a legit qb prospect, start over at square one three years down the road when it doesn't pan out.

Or do a legit reboot and jettison the parts of the roster that need it and draft a QB no matter the cost