• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

QB options for next year

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe but I doubt it. IDK if gutted is the right word either. Cutting 2-4 over paid under producing players and replacing a couple of grey beards ( which likely are in the over paid group) isn't gutting IMO.

How many of these guys get extended?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How many of these guys get extended?
Just the ones that matter for the most part. I don't think the roster will be better per say, but not much worse either and the schedule at this point looks easier then this years schedule so 9-8 or 8-9 or 7-10 sounds about right. I don't see league worse record happening in 2024 barring real bad luck with injuries. I think how much more Geno regresses will matter.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just the ones that matter for the most part. I don't think the roster will be better per say, but not much worse either and the schedule at this point looks easier then this years schedule so 9-8 or 8-9 or 7-10 sounds about right. I don't see league worse record happening in 2024 barring real bad luck with injuries. I think how much more Geno regresses will matter.
I dont think theyll be league worst, but the roster is going to be very different and we will have new holes on both sides. LB, IOL, DL, TE

I dont see the team improving and its way too early to guess at the difficulty of the schedule

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,773.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt he gets past the broncos.

lets see how things shake out with the combine, etc.

this defense needs a guy like him though, a 350lb NT with some ability to pressure the QB.
Or go back to the base 4-3 scheme and get a couple of big hosses

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,938.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thinking is the Hawks will go out and get a QB that's all ready in the NFL, Then talk of a minor reset. I know this is an unpopular option and opinion but it would fit Pete and this situation.

Like when he went out and got Matt Flynn. (Flynn?)

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,938.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And clipboard Jesus!
Also T. Jackson

This long ago history to me seems to be coming full circle.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thinking is the Hawks will go out and get a QB that's all ready in the NFL, Then talk of a minor reset. I know this is an unpopular option and opinion but it would fit Pete and this situation.

Except that the same year they signed Flynn they also drafted a QB, so that would also fit Pete and John's MO.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Another QB to replace Geno or replace Lock?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except that the same year they signed Flynn they also drafted a QB, so that would also fit Pete and John's MO.

It was pretty clear that Jackson was not cut out to be a starting QB. They knew they needed someone better.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm bracing myself for them not to draft a QB, Pete's never invested in that position. Using a 3rd on RW was splurging for Pete. Think RW was the only QB Pete spent a draft pick ( in any round) on.
They've drafted 2 QBs -- Wilson and Alex McGough. And I can't really crush them for that. Once you nailed RW in rnd 3, all you are really doing at that point at QB is finding backups. They generally grabbed UFAs for that all the way up until the RW trade.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We missed Stroud mah dude... 2024 we're not going to draft a QB... especially with Carroll now on the hot seat and Jody likely to sell the team.

Stroud was our chance. Sadly I think if he was there Carroll still would've drafted Witherspoon. Witherspoon is a stud, but Stroud is a bigger one and plays a far more important position. You and I were certainly in Stroud's camp leading up to the draft. Everyone wanted Witherspoon (which sure made sense) but you and I were some of the only folks on this board mentioning Stroud as the next option.

Say what?? I'm really confused. How did we miss Stroud? He went at 1.2. Were we supposed to force Houston to trade the pick to us? Also, I remember things a lot different in terms of who the popular choice was for us in here at 1.5. It was Jalen Carter, not Witherspoon. Witherspoon was barely mentioned if at all on this board as the hope for the 5 pick. "Everyone wanted Witherspoon" is just not accurate in the least, unless I am completely misunderstanding what you mean by that.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Say what?? I'm really confused. How did we miss Stroud? He went at 1.2. Were we supposed to force Houston to trade the pick to us? Also, I remember things a lot different in terms of who the popular choice was for us in here at 1.5. It was Jalen Carter, not Witherspoon. Witherspoon was barely mentioned if at all on this board as the hope for the 5 pick. "Everyone wanted Witherspoon" is just not accurate in the least, unless I am completely misunderstanding what you mean by that.

Absolutely NO ONE was saying we should trade up to the Chicago pick to grab Stroud at the time. Now, in hindisght, we can all say that would have been a strong move. But everything is easy in hindsight.

What if they traded up to No. 1 and grabbed Young or Richardson?

Realistically there was ZERO interest in trading up. I think the only person who was adamantly against drafting Carter was Harold who was steadfast in wanting a QB.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is almost certain that at least one of Penix/Nix will be available. But it doesn't matter because we aren't going to draft a QB.

I doubt it. Ahead of the Hawks are the Bears, Commanders, Patriots, Giants, Titans, Saints, Raiders, and Broncos. All of whom would most likely be interested in a QB. If a QB prospects fall past all of them that guy probably isn't that great. I remember in last years draft Will Levis was a candidate and fell in the draft then looked meh as a starter except for the jacksonville game.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt it. Ahead of the Hawks are the Bears, Commanders, Patriots, Giants, Titans, Saints, Raiders, and Broncos. All of whom would most likely be interested in a QB. If a QB prospects fall past all of them that guy probably isn't that great. I remember in last years draft Will Levis was a candidate and fell in the draft then looked meh as a starter except for the jacksonville game.

It's possible but pretty unlikely. Most pundits have both Penix and Nix going in the late 1st/early 2nd. 5 QBs taken in the first 15 picks is pretty rare. Honestly, I would be fine with that since that would mean that some other high quality players would have dropped down to us.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No, I meant we were saying Stroud if he was there at #5. Like @flyerhawk said nobody was saying to trade up to snag him, but if he fell at 5 we should've pulled the trigger. And sadly that is far better than what's going to be available in this draft.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I meant we were saying Stroud if he was there at #5. Like @flyerhawk said nobody was saying to trade up to snag him, but if he fell at 5 we should've pulled the trigger. And sadly that is far better than what's going to be available in this draft.

Based on the reports at the time, I think the Seahawks may have taken Richardson at #5. I don't think they would have taken Stroud but who knows?

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on the reports at the time, I think the Seahawks may have taken Richardson at #5. I don't think they would have taken Stroud but who knows?

Oh I'm sure flyer. Hence my post saying if Stroud was still there, we'd probably take Richardson or if both were there taken Witherspoon anyway.

Carroll seemed orgasmic over Witherspoon.. I think he had his mind made up 100% that's who he wanted and Schneider was probably like, "Whatever." lol.

For a DB being top 5 it should be a DROY type player, and while Carter or Anderson will probably snag it (bigger markets, both teams in the playoffs), Witherspoon IMO had the biggest impact on the field (I watched all 3 play). It turned out to be a fine pick... but just saying anyone on this forum at this point would've preferred Stroud. Sadly he wasn't there and sadly I don't think we would've taken him if he was.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, ok, got it. yeah, I think there was a lot of favor for Stroud in here. I definitely liked him over Bryce Young and absolutely over Richardson. I would have still wanted Carter at 5 because I am just not a huge fan of top pick QBs in general. It's all guesswork as to whether Stroud will be better than anyone in this class, but of course he's much more of a known quantity at the NFL level with how he played as a rookie. If the top 3 QBs off the board in this next draft are Caleb Williams, Drake Maye, and Jayden Daniels, I bet at most 1 of them works out. Wouldn't at all be surprised if all 3 were busts.