• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

QB options for next year

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let em get away with another hold on the big completion

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a great game by Penix but probably didn't hurt his draft stock much. Had he played like he did against Texas then that could have vaulted him given how good that defense is

10HtownRebs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,386,359.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penix better have cracked ribs... if not... he been exposed..

Can't be acting like that over a little pressure.. going to be 10x worst in the NFL. Ask Brice.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Can't be acting like that over a little pressure.. going to be 10x worst in the NFL. Ask Brice.

McCarthy and Penix are both 3rd-4th round QBs at this point. I'll be laughing hard if anyone selects them in the first round.

• Haha
Reactions: JMR

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hey look, it's someone who just saw Michael Penix play for the first time!

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,938.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well this thread was hijacked. I was going to talk QB but feels pointless now with Huskie talk. It's to bad for the Dawgs that they let the running game eat them up like it did in the 1st quarter. They played well the rest of the way other than Penix was off. Don't think i have seen him miss so many open WR before. Poor kid, not the way he wanted to go out.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What we saw last night was what happens to QBs (almost all of them) when facing a strong, consistent pass rush. It shortens up a QB's decision making tremendously and results in more missed receivers with eyes and the arm. Simple as that, credit to Michigan for pulling it off. You did see UW adjust to the pass rush in the middle 2 quarters with shorter stuff, and the game leveled out quite a bit. But then you get in a 2-score situation in the 4th quarter, and you have to start going back to a more aggressive approach that also exposes your passer to the rush to a greater degree.

McCarthy made a couple good throws, but I think his best play was a run. He has a nice arm, but it's not a Penix arm in terms of strength or accuracy. (Clearly Penix didn't perform with normal accuracy last night, see above.)

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So going back to QB. After last night's game I think that Penix likely saw whatever hype he may have got after the Texas game mostly dissipate. Not sure how much his draft stock really changed but my guess is he's middle to late 1st round.

I think McCarthy would be much better served staying in college for another year.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So going back to QB. After last night's game I think that Penix likely saw whatever hype he may have got after the Texas game mostly dissipate. Not sure how much his draft stock really changed but my guess is he's middle to late 1st round.

I have no idea, but I sure hope so because that gives us a shot at him. But here's how this will go: Penix will be there at 1.16, and the Hawks will trade down 6 spots to recoup a 2nd round pick, Penix will be there once again and we'll pull the 2nd TE off the board. We'll all go mad. Penix gets picked by the team right after us.
I think McCarthy would be much better served staying in college for another year.

Yeah, probably. But I think you said it before: his decision may be tied to what Harbaugh does. He won't be taken at the top of the draft if he comes out this year, but that also means he probably won't go to one of the worst teams in the league, and sometimes that's not a bad thing when you're a young QB.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What we saw last night was what happens to QBs (almost all of them) when facing a strong, consistent pass rush. It shortens up a QB's decision making tremendously and results in more missed receivers with eyes and the arm. Simple as that, credit to Michigan for pulling it off. You did see UW adjust to the pass rush in the middle 2 quarters with shorter stuff, and the game leveled out quite a bit. But then you get in a 2-score situation in the 4th quarter, and you have to start going back to a more aggressive approach that also exposes your passer to the rush to a greater degree.

McCarthy made a couple good throws, but I think his best play was a run. He has a nice arm, but it's not a Penix arm in terms of strength or accuracy. (Clearly Penix didn't perform with normal accuracy last night, see above.)

Last night was easily Penix's toughest test. Michigan has one of, if not the, best defense in the country. Michigan basically took the top off the Washington offense and forced them to play underneath. That is a very NFL way of playing defense. One of the podcasts I linked to talked about how UW loves to exploit the deep out patterns but if you forced them into the middle of the field, they were far less effective. I don't think that is necessarily an indication of a flaw in Penix's game so much as his game taking advantage of something because he could make those throws, which most college QBs cannot AND UW had the receivers to exploit those plays.

McCarthy's best throws were the deep out throw to Johnson early in the game which was right on time and his throw to Loveland over the middle. McCarthy was never put in a situation where he had to press a throw. Hell, the Wolverines have only been behind in a game for something like 12 minutes all season. So it's really tough to know what he can and can't do.

As I said, I think McCarthy would be best served staying another year as he is still pretty young. But he may choose to go out on a high note. If he does then I would see him as a late 1st rounder/early 2nd.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea, but I sure hope so because that gives us a shot at him. But here's how this will go: Penix will be there at 1.16, and the Hawks will trade down 6 spots to recoup a 2nd round pick, Penix will be there once again and we'll pull the 2nd TE off the board. We'll all go mad. Penix gets picked by the team right after us.

It looks like Pete is sticking around for another year. Assuming that is the case, we should just get it out of our heads that he is going to draft a QB in the 1st round. There is almost no chance he will do that. In fact, I think the only possible offensive player he might take is a versatily linemen.

Yeah, probably. But I think you said it before: his decision may be tied to what Harbaugh does. He won't be taken at the top of the draft if he comes out this year, but that also means he probably won't go to one of the worst teams in the league, and sometimes that's not a bad thing when you're a young QB.

Yeah. It might ultimately be better for him to be drafted by a later round team and have a chance to develop. No way he's ready to start year 1.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like Pete is sticking around for another year. Assuming that is the case, we should just get it out of our heads that he is going to draft a QB in the 1st round. There is almost no chance he will do that. In fact, I think the only possible offensive player he might take is a versatily linemen.
they said on 710 yesterday he is signed through 24 and the 25 year is an option year, I have a feeling this might be his last year and it could be reminiscent of holmgren's last year.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they said on 710 yesterday he is signed through 24 and the 25 year is an option year, I have a feeling this might be his last year and it could be reminiscent of holmgren's last year.

Yeah. I don't think that Jody is going to keep Pete around for another year simply because he has another year on his contract. But I do think that she will sell the team in 2024-2025. So from her perspective it makes more sense to keep Pete for another year and let the new owner decide the future.

Of course that sucks for the fans since we will have to endure a caretaker season from Pete in 2024.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is tough being a middle of the pack team because any QB prospect worth anything will not fall all the way to the 15th pick.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is tough being a middle of the pack team because any QB prospect worth anything will not fall all the way to the 15th pick.

I think it is almost certain that at least one of Penix/Nix will be available. But it doesn't matter because we aren't going to draft a QB.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. I don't think that Jody is going to keep Pete around for another year simply because he has another year on his contract. But I do think that she will sell the team in 2024-2025. So from her perspective it makes more sense to keep Pete for another year and let the new owner decide the future.

Of course that sucks for the fans since we will have to endure a caretaker season from Pete in 2024.
Think your right, Jody is going to sell the team shortly, so she'll keep Pete and let the new owner decide if he wants to clean house.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is almost certain that at least one of Penix/Nix will be available. But it doesn't matter because we aren't going to draft a QB.
Heard Pete complement Geno's "leadership". Doesn't sound like he feels the Seahawks need a QB.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think your right, Jody is going to sell the team shortly, so she'll keep Pete and let the new owner decide if he wants to clean house.

In fact, I think she is required to sell the team within some time period after she is able to sell it.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard Pete complement Geno's "leadership". Doesn't sound like he feels the Seahawks need a QB.

Pete isn't stupid. Either the team will completely turnaround and be a SB contender or he will almost certainly be gone for 2025. As such, there is zero incentive for him to draft a QB for the future. Geno is almost certainly going to be our QB next year. His contract was structured in such a way where dumping him this offseason would be somewhat painful(17 million) whereas it would only be 8 mill in 2025.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In fact, I think she is required to sell the team within some time period after she is able to sell it.
May 1st the team can be sold without giving up 10% of the sale price going to the Public Stadium Authority. So could happen soon, but the process takes time as the NFL would have to OK potential buyers.