• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

QB options for next year

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like a pretty fair assessment.

Realistically there are somewhere between 4 and 6 teams that are going to take a QB. So even if we move on from Pete, which is the only way we might draft a QB in the first round, I think it's unlikely that we would be able to get one we wanted and instead would wind up with the leftover.
Well to be fair that's true for most of the premium positions. Positions like say RB, a team could have the pick of the litter ( not suggesting they go RB), if you want cream at OT, pass rushing DL those positions would be picked over.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well to be fair that's true for most of the premium positions. Positions like say RB, a team could have the pick of the litter ( not suggesting they go RB), if you want cream at OT, pass rushing DL those positions would be picked over.

Of course. And we don't really know what teams will be doing certainly.

But I think that taking the #5 or #6 QB with the 16th pick would be not ideal.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In no particular order, I can see Williams, Maye, Penix and Daniels all being picked in the top 10-12 very easily. After that, it's Bo Nix and maybe McCarthy but McCarthy seems to be a kid who will be another Mac Jones type. Could be wrong there but he doesn't jump out and Bo Nix looks like another Marcus Mariota out of Oregon's system. Maybe a little better but not Justin Herbert. Again, I could be way off but that's the way of the draft. Bears, Skins, Patriots and Falcons should all be drafting QB but it's anybody's guess. Frankly, waiting to see who else comes out in the mid rounds and letting that player develop behind Geno is likely the teams best option, regardless of what we think of Geno. The priority has to be defense and coaching at this time but we can only wish at this time. Interior O-line (guard) needs an upgrade but not 1st rd unless there is a blue chip prospect in there which there likely won't be. We need to hope a Micah Parsons/ T.J. Watt/ Nick Bosa type is hiding out there somewhere. We will also need a safety and LBs and a monster DT. Too many needs that supercede a game manager at QB, imo.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cbs is mocking penix at 8

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course. And we don't really know what teams will be doing certainly.

But I think that taking the #5 or #6 QB with the 16th pick would be not ideal.
Yeah top OL, DL, QB, any shut down corners, stand out safety, heck even a top TE will be gone. Pretty discouraging TBH and think it will be hard to have a improved roster next season. Wagner, Geno, Lockett are aging, the two over priced safeties will be cut, will have two starting OL that will be FAs, Brooks will be a FA, the list of issues with the roster goes on. Guess I'm feeling pretty discouraged.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In no particular order, I can see Williams, Maye, Penix and Daniels all being picked in the top 10-12 very easily. After that, it's Bo Nix and maybe McCarthy but McCarthy seems to be a kid who will be another Mac Jones type. Could be wrong there but he doesn't jump out and Bo Nix looks like another Marcus Mariota out of Oregon's system. Maybe a little better but not Justin Herbert. Again, I could be way off but that's the way of the draft. Bears, Skins, Patriots and Falcons should all be drafting QB but it's anybody's guess. Frankly, waiting to see who else comes out in the mid rounds and letting that player develop behind Geno is likely the teams best option, regardless of what we think of Geno. The priority has to be defense and coaching at this time but we can only wish at this time. Interior O-line (guard) needs an upgrade but not 1st rd unless there is a blue chip prospect in there which there likely won't be. We need to hope a Micah Parsons/ T.J. Watt/ Nick Bosa type is hiding out there somewhere. We will also need a safety and LBs and a monster DT. Too many needs that supercede a game manager at QB, imo.

Why do you think McCarthy is like Mac Jones? As players they aren't really comparable in any way.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinda that game manager but not a difference maker type with an average arm. I could be wrong though.

McCarthy has plenty of arm strength. He's a game manager because the Wolverines are a ground and pound that has only been behind for something like 10 minutes all season.

He had a QBR of 89.3 which is 3rd in the nation. QBR isn't a definitive stat, certainly.

Tonight's game could change things dramatically for both McCarthy and Penix. If Penix is able to score at will as he has done so far that will force McCarthy to throw more.

Wolvie

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JJ McCarthy doesn't turn 21 years old until January 20! That's amazing. I would love for him to stay in Michigan for his senior year, but I think it will be tied to whether or not Harbaugh stays as coach. If he comes out in the draft, I would love for us to snag him and give him a year to season as Geno's backup. Geno still has a year in the tank as an above average qb, and at the beginning of this season I was under the impression that we were still a year away from being contenders. Sadly, I still think we need an additional year away from being contenders. One draft isn't going to fix the holes that need fixing and with this being an exceptionally deep QB class, we should absolutely pull the trigger on a top talent now.

Penix is great too, but he will be 24 soon so his success should be somewhat expected, but I think he will also be a good NFL starter. I think Penix has a safer floor but a lower ceiling than McCarthy.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think McCarthy will stay another year at Michigan. He could go from the Number 5 or 6 QB taken to 1 or 2 next year.
That's a good point. Depending on his NIL situation, it may even be more financially beneficial for him to play at Michigan next year than the NFL.

But you do have to factor in Cam Ward as a possible wild card in the process.
Definitely a dark horse. He isn't on Kiper's list of top 10 QBs (updated a few days ago), but someone will take a shot at him on day 3 and may end up with one of the better bang for buck picks of the draft.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a good point. Depending on his NIL situation, it may even be more financially beneficial for him to play at Michigan next year than the NFL.

He's a true junior. Still pretty young to go pro. His frame is still pretty lean and he could use to bulk up a bit more.

Definitely a dark horse. He isn't on Kiper's list of top 10 QBs (updated a few days ago), but someone will take a shot at him on day 3 and may end up with one of the better bang for buck picks of the draft.

Ward is likely going to need to have a big combine/interview to move up the board a lot. Which could happen.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,571.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word has been that ATL is in love w/ Penix... If so, then I find it hard to believe that he would make it past Atlanta...

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word has been that ATL is in love w/ Penix... If so, then I find it hard to believe that he would make it past Atlanta...

Atlanta doesn't even have a coach so I would take any such comments with a huge grain of salt.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like it would be a fit. Course their HC just got fired and I wonder if the GM is safe. Who in Atalanta loves Penix?

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penix not helping himself

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not the first half, but game is closer now and Huskies get the ball after the half.
Missing guys all game unfortunately, left several TDs on the field so far

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not impressed with mccarthy at all

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1