• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

QB options for next year

Dingus

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

These guys are really knowledgeable and go over Penix in some good depth. Lots of praise for Penix. The only real concerns they have for Penix are the following..

1. Playing with the best OL and some elite receivers
2. Hasn't played a top 50 defense all season
3. Penix has not shown an ability to attack the middle. 85th in the country in success rate while throwing over the middle.

His positives were.

1. Great arm
2. Starting to throw with anticipation
3. Great pocket awareness
4. Very accurate
He's played against 5 top 50 defenses: Utah, Oregon, Texas, Oregon State, and Arizona...

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are comparing Penix's college performance to Stroud's pro performance?

The hype is real.
Purely from a talent standpoint, i dont see why penix couldn't make every throw stroud made.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Purely from a talent standpoint, i dont see why penix couldn't make every throw stroud made.

Penix may become a better QB than Stroud. But Penix hasn't played a single down of NFL football. Comparing his game against Texas to ANY game by Stroud in the NFL is silly.

Being a successful NFL QB requires more than arm talent.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's played against 5 top 50 defenses: Utah, Oregon, Texas, Oregon State, and Arizona...

I was repeating what they said. I think they meant passing defenses.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penix may become a better QB than Stroud. But Penix hasn't played a single down of NFL football. Comparing his game against Texas to ANY game by Stroud in the NFL is silly.

Being a successful NFL QB requires more than arm talent.
im not saying he will or he wont be a better QB, and I wasnt intending to compare stroud today to penix. stroud had a good college career, but he stunk it up against michigan late in the game which left a bad taste in my mouth.

on the other hand, penix consistently handled things when the game was on the line.

that said, I think penix will be fine stepping in and starting day one, he is 2 years older than stroud for shits sake letting him sit a year doesnt make any sense.

Dingus

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was repeating what they said. I think they meant passing defenses.
That tracks. I guess all will be revealed in the championship game with him seeing the #1 pass defense.

I wouldn’t put too much into him not seeing a top 50 passing defense though because of the point I noticed you make while skimming the last couple pages—college football isn’t the NFL, all the big 10 teams you see with the top 10 passing defenses in the stat rankings aren’t playing the Penixes, Nixes, Wards, Williamses every week. They have like one team in their whole conference that isn’t a run first team.

The only concern re Penix I think is legit at this point is the injury history. But that’s also a pretty big concern.

I’ll also say as a UW fan whose followed Penix the last couple years and wants to see him have a successful pro career, I don’t want to see the Hawks try to get him, I think they’d get him killed in his first year.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im not saying he will or he wont be a better QB, and I wasnt intending to compare stroud today to penix. stroud had a good college career, but he stunk it up against michigan late in the game which left a bad taste in my mouth.

on the other hand, penix consistently handled things when the game was on the line.

that said, I think penix will be fine stepping in and starting day one, he is 2 years older than stroud for shits sake letting him sit a year doesnt make any sense.

Tomorrow is really going to have a big impact on where he gets drafted, an McCarthy if he declares.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That tracks. I guess all will be revealed in the championship game with him seeing the #1 pass defense.

I wouldn’t put too much into him not seeing a top 50 passing defense though because of the point I noticed you make while skimming the last couple pages—college football isn’t the NFL, all the big 10 teams you see with the top 10 passing defenses in the stat rankings aren’t playing the Penixes, Nixes, Wards, Williamses every week. They have like one team in their whole conference that isn’t a run first team.

The only concern re Penix I think is legit at this point is the injury history. But that’s also a pretty big concern.

I’ll also say as a UW fan whose followed Penix the last couple years and wants to see him have a successful pro career, I don’t want to see the Hawks try to get him, I think they’d get him killed in his first year.

Ultimately we will find out whether the Big 10 has really good defenses or whether the Pac-12 has really good offenses.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penix has a high potential ceiling in the NFL, I’d LOVE to have him as a Seahawk, but realistically he’s going high in the first round..

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penix has a high potential ceiling in the NFL, I’d LOVE to have him as a Seahawk, but realistically he’s going high in the first round..
I dont expect us to take a QB in round 1, maybe round 3. we will probably take a TE, WR, or S in round 1. I expect nothing but a head scratching first round pick.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he goes ahead of the Seahawks pick also even though he might be the 4th QB taken, which is discouraging.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just watched Trevor Lawrence shit his pants up and down the field all game long against the Titans to end their season. Just horrible misses on "easy" throws, and had Ridley without a defender within 5 yards for the crucial 60+ TD pass at the end, and he over throws him. Geno makes that throw, we've seen it time and again.

Someone around here plants their flag on wanting to trade for him last year and solving all our woes. Just goes to show its not that simple, and losing perspective on just how good the QB play around the league really is is very easy.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,773.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im watching the houston - indy game and I am wondering if stroud is really that much better a passer than penix is. to penix' credit, he definitely played better than stroud did in crunch time.
Stroud is the real deal and so is Penix but the red flag is his injury history.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ultimately we will find out whether the Big 10 has really good defenses or whether the Pac-12 has really good offenses.
The truth is neither conference is known for their defenses. Michigan does however, have a really good pass rush that absolutely dismantled Alabama. The test will be on the O-line of Washington, I think.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just watched Trevor Lawrence shit his pants up and down the field all game long against the Titans to end their season. Just horrible misses on "easy" throws, and had Ridley without a defender within 5 yards for the crucial 60+ TD pass at the end, and he over throws him. Geno makes that throw, we've seen it time and again.

Someone around here plants their flag on wanting to trade for him last year and solving all our woes. Just goes to show its not that simple, and losing perspective on just how good the QB play around the league really is is very easy.
Yeah, TL has been hyped and touted as a slam dunk, can't miss, been elite at every level, yada, yada from day 1 and he basically shit the bed today and cost his team down the stretch when they had the division well in hand. Now to be fair, he was battling some injuries but he isn't the game changer people thought he was.
Us thinking anybody out there is gonna miraculously turn this team around is laughable, and especially considering we have no shot at the top 3 QBs in the class and the leftovers all have likely less talent than Geno. Geno isn't good and we need to do something about finding someone that can develop but even a Patrick Mahomes doesn't make this defensive unit good. A prime example is the lack of success the Chargers have had despite hitting presumed gold with Justin Herbert.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, TL has been hyped and touted as a slam dunk, can't miss, been elite at every level, yada, yada from day 1 and he basically shit the bed today and cost his team down the stretch when they had the division well in hand. Now to be fair, he was battling some injuries but he isn't the game changer people thought he was.
Us thinking anybody out there is gonna miraculously turn this team around is laughable, and especially considering we have no shot at the top 3 QBs in the class and the leftovers all have likely less talent than Geno. Geno isn't good and we need to do something about finding someone that can develop but even a Patrick Mahomes doesn't make this defensive unit good. A prime example is the lack of success the Chargers have had despite hitting presumed gold with Justin Herbert.

It seems like the mentality is commonly that the grass is WAY greener with anyone but Geno. Hell, Baker fucking Mayfield has been mentioned as an upgrade, but hey look, it's Josh Allen forcing another bone headed turnover in the red zone in a major spot.

Add on that watching the team play lately, there are big problems that have nothing to do with who the QB is. Geno has nothing to do with Woolen not being able to tackle water if he fell out of a boat.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mahomes Chiefs actually have a decent defense this year, likely the best Mahomes ever had on his side. Too bad the offense has gone backwards.
However think the point your making is it's a team sport and no single player by himself makes the team successful, which is true. However the position of QB has more weigh then other positions in a vacuum, hard to over come poor play at QB.
I think there may be 2-3 QBs besides the top 3 QBs that could be better than Geno and age is creeping up on Geno so he likely only declines and not get better.
The hype around some (most actually) players is totally overblown every year. They throw around terms like generational talent yearly it seems like. Yet many fans get swept up with the hype every year and specially with the draft.
I'm ready for a change of direction and although I seemed on a island I think it starts with a franchise QB. A offense that can move the chains, run the clock does wonders for the teams defense. Show me a team who's offense has a slew of 3 and out and I'll show you a defense that has problems. How often have you seen a defense start crumbling after 2-3 3 and outs? A great D is great to have, but it is only as good as the weakest link because that link will get attacked over and over. It takes a few years to put a good D together and of course nearly impossible to keep it together because good players want to be shown the money and a team can't pay everyone.

Last edited: