• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

QB options for next year

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The award isn't "the best numbers in college football". Other factors should and do matter.

I am 100% certain on my opinion that if the teams were reversed, Penix would have won. Daniels wouldn't have even been in the conversation if he QB'd a 9-3 Husky squad and an undefeated LSU had a QB with Penix's season.
You only need to look as far as last year to prove this with Penix, himself.

Stetson Bennett was a finalist; Penix was not. Their stats and importance to their team weren't even close.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The award isn't "the best numbers in college football". Other factors should and do matter.

I am 100% certain on my opinion that if the teams were reversed, Penix would have won. Daniels wouldn't have even been in the conversation if he QB'd a 9-3 Husky squad and an undefeated LSU had a QB with Penix's season.

While that is true you are ignoring the relative strength of the 2 conferences. Going 13-0 in the SEC is a huge achievement and putting up numbers like Penix did for any team that went 13-0 in the SEC would likely lead to a Heisman. But if JJ McCarthy put up Penix numbers on UM that probably would NOT have been enough to overcome the huge deficit between his numbers and Daniels.

I say all of this as a devoted SEC hater.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You only need to look as far as last year to prove this with Penix, himself.

Stetson Bennett was a finalist; Penix was not. Their stats and importance to their team weren't even close.

And yet a Pac-12 QB won the Heisman last year.

You're trying too hard here.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would love to add tvandre sweat to our defense, he will probably be there when we pick: MSN

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would love to add tvandre sweat to our defense, he will probably be there when we pick: MSN

We're likely drafting mid 1st round, way too early for a player like Sweat IMO. If Bowers falls to the mid teens I say snag him since basically ALL tight ends on the current roster will be gone next year (we're not keeping Parkinson or Fant, and Dissly's stupid contract was ridiculous to begin with and now he's generally useless).

If we target Sweat, trade down to acquire another 2nd or ammo to move up on Sweat and then draft another OT or Guard in the late first. There's a TON of OT/Guard talent in this draft... now would be a good time to strike. I think Oluwatimi can step in next year and MAYBE Bradford can step in, but I think Lewis is gone and Brown has been pretty terrible. I know we have Abe Lucas but he keeps re-aggravating his knee and knee injuries with lineman it's generally over... I think Abe is at the point he'll be injured for most of his career going forward. Too bad because he's very talented, but I'd be looking at getting someone else in there...

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

These guys are really knowledgeable and go over Penix in some good depth. Lots of praise for Penix. The only real concerns they have for Penix are the following..

1. Playing with the best OL and some elite receivers
2. Hasn't played a top 50 defense all season
3. Penix has not shown an ability to attack the middle. 85th in the country in success rate while throwing over the middle.

His positives were.

1. Great arm
2. Starting to throw with anticipation
3. Great pocket awareness
4. Very accurate

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

These guys are really knowledgeable and go over Penix in some good depth. Lots of praise for Penix. The only real concerns they have for Penix are the following..

1. Playing with the best OL and some elite receivers
2. Hasn't played a top 50 defense all season
3. Penix has not shown an ability to attack the middle. 85th in the country in success rate while throwing over the middle.

His positives were.

1. Great arm
2. Starting to throw with anticipation
3. Great pocket awareness
4. Very accurate
saw a report on fansided saying may be undraftable due to injury history

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,747.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
saw a report on fansided saying may be undraftable due to injury history
Then they don't know what they're talking about... They would lose all credibility with me by saying that... "Undraftable"? He's played in every game for 2 straight years...

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're likely drafting mid 1st round, way too early for a player like Sweat IMO.
right now his projection is all over the place, some say 3rd round some say late 1st. players like him dont come around often, I doubt he makes it past the top of round 2. I would take him at 18-20 if we are picking there, it might be a bit of a reach, but he is exactly what this defense is missing.
If Bowers falls to the mid teens I say snag him since basically ALL tight ends on the current roster will be gone next year (we're not keeping Parkinson or Fant, and Dissly's stupid contract was ridiculous to begin with and now he's generally useless).
waste of a pick taking a TE in round one, just stone cold stupid.
If we target Sweat, trade down to acquire another 2nd or ammo to move up on Sweat and then draft another OT or Guard in the late first. There's a TON of OT/Guard talent in this draft... now would be a good time to strike. I think Oluwatimi can step in next year and MAYBE Bradford can step in, but I think Lewis is gone and Brown has been pretty terrible. I know we have Abe Lucas but he keeps re-aggravating his knee and knee injuries with lineman it's generally over... I think Abe is at the point he'll be injured for most of his career going forward. Too bad because he's very talented, but I'd be looking at getting someone else in there...
trade down to the late 1st I dont think would get us a 2nd rounder. maybe we could package a 3rd and trade down in round 1 in order to trade up into the 2nd.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then they don't know what they're talking about... They would lose all credibility with me by saying that... "Undraftable"? He's played in every game for 2 straight years...
i don,t see him as undraftable,but i bet lots of teams pass him over because of the injuries he,s sustained it will be up to him to prove them wrong.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don,t see him as undraftable,but i bet lots of teams pass him over because of the injuries he,s sustained it will be up to him to prove them wrong.
Pass him over in the 1st round or entirely??

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st round
Oh yeah, I am sure some teams who are in need of a QB and holding a really early pick will be gun-shy due to the multiple knee injuries and either go with someone else or just want and see if he's still there when they come back around in round 2. But it only takes 1 team to fall in love with the player and go for it. I'll be surprised if he makes it past the middle of round 1.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yeah, I am sure some teams who are in need of a QB and holding a really early pick will be gun-shy due to the multiple knee injuries and either go with someone else or just want and see if he's still there when they come back around in round 2. But it only takes 1 team to fall in love with the player and go for it. I'll be surprised if he makes it past the middle of round 1.
i,m sure the hawks would love him.no far away either

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i,m sure the hawks would love him.no far away either
I would be all about it. Even if the team keeps Geno around another year, Penix has special enough arm talent that it would be worth using our best pick on a guy who probably won't see the field as a rookie. At least that's my opinion.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im watching the houston - indy game and I am wondering if stroud is really that much better a passer than penix is. to penix' credit, he definitely played better than stroud did in crunch time.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im watching the houston - indy game and I am wondering if stroud is really that much better a passer than penix is. to penix' credit, he definitely played better than stroud did in crunch time.
Stroud is certainly a fantastic passer. His motion is really quick and smooth. I think Penix has a bigger arm, but his motion is a little longer and more side-arm. But in terms of a strength & accuracy combo, I think you gotta go back to Aaron Rodgers to find something that matches what Penix has.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Stroud has done all of this with basically nobody. He's essentially made Nico Collins a stud all by himself. Like his counterpart in CAR, wait til he actually has some talent around him to fully evaluate.

Penix would have the advantage of coming to a Seattle team that already has legitimate weapons.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You are comparing Penix's college performance to Stroud's pro performance?

The hype is real.