• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

QB options for next year

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last year you said wait until this season then move up to get that franchise QB.
for one I thought we would be picking higher, secondly we gave up a 2nd rounder already, and third I dont think they are going to take a QB in round 1. they will stand pat with geno.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for one I thought we would be picking higher,
Higher? You picked them to go 9-8 and they went 9-8. So think your making up excuses
secondly we gave up a 2nd rounder already
Yeah that was stupid for a aging rent a player when the team wasn't that close to being a contender. However the Seahawks have picks still including a extra 3rd so not buying it.
third I dont think they are going to take a QB in round 1. they will stand pat with geno.
Geez I'm honestly worried you may be right, they will do something like take a DT or LB some other position who won't effect wins and loses at all. If fact I'm so worried I'm ready for a new front office and HC.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mahomes Chiefs actually have a decent defense this year, likely the best Mahomes ever had on his side. Too bad the offense has gone backwards.
However think the point your making is it's a team sport and no single player by himself makes the team successful, which is true. However the position of QB has more weigh then other positions in a vacuum, hard to over come poor play at QB.
I think there may be 2-3 QBs besides the top 3 QBs that could be better than Geno and age is creeping up on Geno so he likely only declines and not get better.
The hype around some (most actually) players is totally overblown every year. They throw around terms like generational talent yearly it seems like. Yet many fans get swept up with the hype every year and specially with the draft.
I'm ready for a change of direction and although I seemed on a island I think it starts with a franchise QB. A offense that can move the chains, run the clock does wonders for the teams defense. Show me a team who's offense has a slew of 3 and out and I'll show you a defense that has problems. How often have you seen a defense start crumbling after 2-3 3 and outs? A great D is great to have, but it is only as good as the weakest link because that link will get attacked over and over. It takes a few years to put a good D together and of course nearly impossible to keep it together because good players want to be shown the money and a team can't pay everyone.

The point kinda contradicts what your position has seemed to be though: Just get any QB, as they're likely to be an upgrade. Lawrence and Allen are highly touted star QBs and even they are floundering in big games, so just changing the position for the sake of change is not likely to work; We need to get the right upgrade.

You say QB holds more weight in a vacuum and it's hard to overcome poor play. Well, we haven't had poor play, objectively, and we don't play in a vacuum. We play with the scheme of this offense and defense, one in which "pretty good" QB play can't over come bad tackling, horrible 3rd down defense, and an offense that's unable to adjust outside the initial game plan. That's a coaching problem, not a QB problem.

The offense not being able to adjust and control the ball looks like it has far less to do with Geno and much more to do with over all game management. This "you can't win the game outside the 4th quarter" bullshit mentality has been the Achilles heel for the last few years.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Higher? You picked them to go 9-8 and they went 9-8. So think your making up excuses
When was that poll taken? Between april and september a lot can change
Yeah that was stupid for a aging rent a player when the team wasn't that close to being a contender. However the Seahawks have picks still including a extra 3rd so not buying it.
moving up would mean handing over at least one future first most likely, no thanks.
Geez I'm honestly worried you may be right, they will do something like take a DT or LB some other position who won't effect wins and loses at all. If fact I'm so worried I'm ready for a new front office and HC.
right now at this moment, im convinced QB is not even on their board for round 1. maybe round 3 or later. S, LB, TE, WR are my best guesses.

right now im all over the NT sweat from texas, he would be a difference maker on this defense and fill a role we desperately need.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point kinda contradicts what your position has seemed to be though: Just get any QB, as they're likely to be an upgrade. Lawrence and Allen are highly touted star QBs and even they are floundering in big games, so just changing the position for the sake of change is not likely to work; We need to get the right upgrade.
I've never said just get any QB, in fact the year after trading RW I was praying they won't draft a QB that year. Stoud success this year highlights the difference a QB can make. However like you said it's not a vacuum. It's a team sport and the players around you and the coaching matter and that also effects the QB play.
You say QB holds more weight in a vacuum and it's hard to overcome poor play. Well, we haven't had poor play, objectively, and we don't play in a vacuum. We play with the scheme of this offense and defense, one in which "pretty good" QB play can't over come bad tackling, horrible 3rd down defense, and an offense that's unable to adjust outside the initial game plan. That's a coaching problem, not a QB problem.
Same coaching as 2022 when the offense was humming, but different results. Some injuries happened and some players weren't as effective any longer.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
moving up would mean handing over at least one future first most likely, no thanks.
You just want linemen taken first round every single draft and using a first on a QB to you is a waste. I worry Pete shares that thought.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You just want linemen taken first round every single draft and using a first on a QB to you is a waste. I worry Pete shares that thought.
how high do you want to move? its going to be
1. Caleb Williams
2. Drake Maye/Jayden Daniels
3. Jayden Daniels/Drake May

next possible QBs go at 6, 8, 11, 12, 13?

im not going to think about QBs, I just dont think its in our future.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how high do you want to move? its going to be
1. Caleb Williams
2. Drake Maye/Jayden Daniels
3. Jayden Daniels/Drake May

next possible QBs go at 6, 8, 11, 12, 13?

im not going to think about QBs, I just dont think its in our future.
High enough to nab Penix or if that isn't possible perhaps Bo Nix ( still need to watch more film on him).

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know the is the QB thread, but I think the most impactful upgrade next year would be handing Clint Hurtt his walking papers and finding a real D Coordinator. That graphic during the game of adding JReed, Williams, drafting D linemen, and improving from 30th in the league last year to ... 30th in the league this year tells the whole story.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,571.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't matter which QB we have unless we get better coaching...

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The truth is neither conference is known for their defenses. Michigan does however, have a really good pass rush that absolutely dismantled Alabama. The test will be on the O-line of Washington, I think.
The Big 10 is pretty well known for defenses

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,571.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the sounds of it - It doesn't look like Carroll may be going anywhere if it's his decision ...

But based on what he said after Sunday’s win, it sounds like Carroll will be running the show again next year.

When asked if he wants to come back for 2024, Carroll told reporters, “Yeah, of course I do. Of course I’d love to do that.”

Wanting to do that is one thing. Does Caroll expect to be back with the Seahawks as head coach next season?

“I do. I do,” he said. “At this point, I do.”
If this happens, Geno will most likely be our starting QB next season so our 1st pick will either be DL, Safety or LB...

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just checking in report yet another Josh Allen turnover in a crucial spot.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we are at 16. Would have been 14 if Prater made that kick yesterday, but that only jumps maybe 1 team (Saints) that may be looking QB. Either way, we are behind potentially 6 teams with a clear QB need. Here's the order:
  1. Bears (via Panthers). Smart money says Caleb Williams is going here whether it's the Bears or another team.
  2. Footballskins. Clear need for a franchise QB, would be stunned if they don't take one here.
  3. Patriots. Clear need for a QB, but what if they have a big drop on their board from the 2nd QB to the 3rd? I could see them trading back.
  4. Cardinals. They appear to be committed to Murray, and they're definitely in too deep with him financially to move on before 2024. I could see the rationale of drafting a QB to sit for a year and see how things go with Murray from here, but 1.4 may be a bit early for that strategy.
  5. Chargers. Definitely not drafting a QB.
  6. Giants. Daniel Jones signed an extension less than a full calendar year ago, so it's hard to see them going QB this early. But it is the Giants.
  7. Titans. Drafted Malik Willis in the 3rd 2 years ago, last year moved up to the top of round 2 to get Levis, so they'll probably take a break this year. At least this early.
  8. Falcons. Fairly clear need for a franchise QB, unless you think that guy is Desmond Ridder (2nd QB off the board in 2022). It would be at least a mild surprise to me if the 3rd QB isn't drafted at the time this pick is announced. Or sooner.
  9. Bears. They're a total wildcard and in the catbird seat for this draft. QB probably isn't their target here, as they will have either drafted Caleb Williams already or dealt that pick and committed to Justin Fields.
  10. Jets. They are upside down with Rodgers' contract for 2 years, but I really doubt Zach Wilson will be in their plans for after that. I can see them looking at QB early maybe in the 2025 draft but probably not this one.
  11. Vikings. It gets interesting here. Cousins' contract has void years from here, so he's going to be a free agent. The talk seems to point to him staying in Minn, but if that's a 1 year deal or 2 year set up like 1, then at this slot I can definitely see them looking QB. Penix would look pretty good in purple slinging it indoors over half the year.
  12. Broncos. This team is a mess. They traded a haul for Russell Wilson, then traded another haul to bring in Payton for what appears to be just a 1 year marriage with coach & QB. Stidham is likely their bargain basement option for 2024 while they recover from their 2 big moves, but he doesn't show as the long term answer. This might be a good spot to get that guy, but how many QBs will be off the board in the first 11 picks? Are we already looking at the 5th QB left at this point as the top guy?
  13. Raiders. They could use a QB of the future, but they're probably not in position here to get that guy with all those teams above them with similar needs. If they add one in this draft, maybe they wait until the middle rounds to see who is still unexpectedly there and get a bang for buck opportunity.
  14. Saints. They can get out from under Carr's contract after the 2024 season, so their situation may lend itself to a QB pick here. But who's left? Maybe someone is still unexpectedly there, but they probably won't reach for one with Carr in place for another year.
  15. Colts. They aren't drafting QB, but what if Michael Penix is still sitting here? With the Seahawks picking next, would a team like the Patriots or even Steelers make a move to get in front of us to get their QB?
So those are the 15 ahead of us. This is a deep QB class. If you aren't set on a particular name over another, there could definitely be a worthwhile player still there at 1.16. It will all be about whether the Hawks think that player is worth that pick. We'll judge it by what mockers say, but of course that's going to be changing a lot over the next few months. The bellwether might be 2/15, as $12.7M of Geno's 2024 salary is guaranteed if he's on the team the following day.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we are at 16. Would have been 14 if Prater made that kick yesterday, but that only jumps maybe 1 team (Saints) that may be looking QB. Either way, we are behind potentially 6 teams with a clear QB need. Here's the order:
  1. Bears (via Panthers). Smart money says Caleb Williams is going here whether it's the Bears or another team.
  2. Footballskins. Clear need for a franchise QB, would be stunned if they don't take one here.
  3. Patriots. Clear need for a QB, but what if they have a big drop on their board from the 2nd QB to the 3rd? I could see them trading back.
  4. Cardinals. They appear to be committed to Murray, and they're definitely in too deep with him financially to move on before 2024. I could see the rationale of drafting a QB to sit for a year and see how things go with Murray from here, but 1.4 may be a bit early for that strategy.
  6. Giants. Daniel Jones signed an extension less than a full calendar year ago, so it's hard to see them going QB this early. But it is the Giants.
  7. Titans. Drafted Malik Willis in the 3rd 2 years ago, last year moved up to the top of round 2 to get Levis, so they'll probably take a break this year. At least this early.
  8. Falcons. Fairly clear need for a franchise QB, unless you think that guy is Desmond Ridder (2nd QB off the board in 2022). It would be at least a mild surprise to me if the 3rd QB isn't drafted at the time this pick is announced. Or sooner.
  9. Bears. They're a total wildcard and in the catbird seat for this draft. QB probably isn't their target here, as they will have either drafted Caleb Williams already or dealt that pick and committed to Justin Fields.
  10. Jets. They are upside down with Rodgers' contract for 2 years, but I really doubt Zach Wilson will be in their plans for after that. I can see them looking at QB early maybe in the 2025 draft but probably not this one.
  11. Vikings. It gets interesting here. Cousins' contract has void years from here, so he's going to be a free agent. The talk seems to point to him staying in Minn, but if that's a 1 year deal or 2 year set up like 1, then at this slot I can definitely see them looking QB. Penix would look pretty good in purple slinging it indoors over half the year.
  12. Broncos. This team is a mess. They traded a haul for Russell Wilson, then traded another haul to bring in Payton for what appears to be just a 1 year marriage with coach & QB. Stidham is likely their bargain basement option for 2024 while they recover from their 2 big moves, but he doesn't show as the long term answer. This might be a good spot to get that guy, but how many QBs will be off the board in the first 11 picks? Are we already looking at the 5th QB left at this point as the top guy?
  13. Raiders. They could use a QB of the future, but they're probably not in position here to get that guy with all those teams above them with similar needs. If they add one in this draft, maybe they wait until the middle rounds to see who is still unexpectedly there and get a bang for buck opportunity.
  14. Saints. They can get out from under Carr's contract after the 2024 season, so their situation may lend itself to a QB pick here. But who's left? Maybe someone is still unexpectedly there, but they probably won't reach for one with Carr in place for another year.
  15. Colts. They aren't drafting QB, but what if Michael Penix is still sitting here? With the Seahawks picking next, would a team like the Patriots or even Steelers make a move to get in front of us to get their QB?
So those are the 15 ahead of us. This is a deep QB class. If you aren't set on a particular name over another, there could definitely be a worthwhile player still there at 1.16. It will all be about whether the Hawks think that player is worth that pick. We'll judge it by what mockers say, but of course that's going to be changing a lot over the next few months. The bellwether might be 2/15, as $12.7M of Geno's 2024 salary is guaranteed if he's on the team the following day.

Seems like a pretty fair assessment.

Realistically there are somewhere between 4 and 6 teams that are going to take a QB. So even if we move on from Pete, which is the only way we might draft a QB in the first round, I think it's unlikely that we would be able to get one we wanted and instead would wind up with the leftover.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice write up. I'd be surprised if QBs don't go off the board first three picks. So Williams, Maye, Daniels. Falcons picking at #8 will take a QB IMO.
So that would likely be Penix. Vikings at 11( if they don't resign Cousins) would take the next QB either Bo Nix or McCarty.

Reactions: JMR

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice write up. I'd be surprised if QBs don't go off the board first three picks. So Williams, Maye, Daniels. Falcons picking at #8 will take a QB IMO.
So that would likely be Penix. Vikings at 11( if they don't resign Cousins) would take the next QB either Bo Nix or McCarty.

I still think McCarthy will stay another year at Michigan. He could go from the Number 5 or 6 QB taken to 1 or 2 next year.

But you do have to factor in Cam Ward as a possible wild card in the process.