• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

QB options for next year

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pete isn't stupid. Either the team will completely turnaround and be a SB contender or he will almost certainly be gone for 2025. As such, there is zero incentive for him to draft a QB for the future. Geno is almost certainly going to be our QB next year. His contract was structured in such a way where dumping him this offseason would be somewhat painful(17 million) whereas it would only be 8 mill in 2025.
Post June 1st:

1704824153115.png

Seahawks can create 22.5 million in cap space by releasing Geno this season. So it's not the contract, it's because this is likely Pete final year and guess he would rather upgrade other positions for his last go around than go with a rookie QB.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard Pete complement Geno's "leadership". Doesn't sound like he feels the Seahawks need a QB.
When have you known Pete to do anything but praise in public? In fact, it's a trait of a good leader. Even when players perform horribly, about the worst thing he ever says is "he got through it." Even when ET flipped off the sideline, I don't think Pete said much about it to the media. It's just not what he does.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
May 1st the team can be sold without giving up 10% of the sale price going to the Public Stadium Authority. So could happen soon, but the process takes time as the NFL would have to OK potential buyers.

Yeah won't happen before May 1st. And Paul's will does require her to sell the Seahawks and Blazers but if there is a timeline it isn't public.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Post June 1st:

View attachment 350636

Seahawks can create 22.5 million in cap space by releasing Geno this season. So it's not the contract, it's because this is likely Pete final year and guess he would rather upgrade other positions for his last go around than go with a rookie QB.

Post June 1st cut means you split the 17.4 million cap hit over 2024 and 2025.

Of course we can cut him and if he was really bad this year or if we had an opportunity to get some other QB that was a clear improvement, then maybe we cut him.

But even if we were to draft a QB, we would almost certainly keep Geno for the 2024 season.

Of course we aren't going to draft a QB, at least not early, so it is all academic.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course we aren't going to draft a QB, at least not early, so it is all academic.
Sure doesn't seem likely the Seahawks draft a QB and set a foundation for the future to build around. However maybe we will get surprised, Pete does like to do the unexpected with the draft. Until the draft happens one can hold onto the hope.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure doesn't seem likely the Seahawks draft a QB and set a foundation for the future to build around. However maybe we will get surprised, Pete does like to do the unexpected with the draft. Until the draft happens one can hold onto the hope.
Calling it now, taking a long snapper round 1

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment if you think they might draft a QB.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple of pff guys did a mock and they had both nix and penix going before 16. Of course its ridiculously early in the process, but its possible they both go before we pick. Honestly itd be better for us if more QBs go before our pick since we wont be taking one anyways

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment if you think they might draft a QB.
I'm bracing myself for them not to draft a QB, Pete's never invested in that position. Using a 3rd on RW was splurging for Pete. Think RW was the only QB Pete spent a draft pick ( in any round) on. I suspect he believes his offense doesn't need a franchise type QB and he probably feels that's an edge for him vs the league. Going with a journeymen allows him spend draft capitol on other positions. I notice that a lot of fans feel the same way, but I'm in the camp where QB is the foundation piece to build around.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm bracing myself for them not to draft a QB, Pete's never invested in that position. Using a 3rd on RW was splurging for Pete. Think RW was the only QB Pete spent a draft pick ( in any round) on. I suspect he believes his offense doesn't need a franchise type QB and he probably feels that's an edge for him vs the league. Going with a journeymen allows him spend draft capitol on other positions. I notice that a lot of fans feel the same way, but I'm in the camp where QB is the foundation piece to build around.

I am of the camp that having a franchise QB is far better than not having one but is also much easier said than done.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple of pff guys did a mock and they had both nix and penix going before 16. Of course its ridiculously early in the process, but its possible they both go before we pick. Honestly itd be better for us if more QBs go before our pick since we wont be taking one anyways
Well if they go ahead of the Seahawks pick it would make it easier to swallow when the Seahawks don't go QB.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pete isn't stupid. Either the team will completely turnaround and be a SB contender or he will almost certainly be gone for 2025. As such, there is zero incentive for him to draft a QB for the future. Geno is almost certainly going to be our QB next year. His contract was structured in such a way where dumping him this offseason would be somewhat painful(17 million) whereas it would only be 8 mill in 2025.

Truer words could not have been spoken... Seattle is not drafting a QB in 2024... likely a safety like Kinchens/DeJean or trade down and snag Nubin with a reach in the 1st (yes... I'm going there) or snag Bowers if he falls at TE. It'll be low impact positions which Carroll has typically done over the years. 3rd round will likely be Guard, RT (sorry but Abe Lucas is going to be an injury liability - we tried, it started out fine, but finally came into play) ILB, and/or DL.

That's a very early prediction from my end so I'll put a disclaimer that I am not standing by that (hell we're not even near the NFL draft yet), but I think it'll be something along those lines.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am of the camp that having a franchise QB is far better than not having one but is also much easier said than done.
Hard to land one for sure and drafting late only makes it harder because the cream is off the board usually. This draft is one of the deepest for some time, pass on this class you may have to wait until the team bottoms out with going 2-15 or some god awful record to take another swing.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to land one for sure and drafting late only makes it harder because the cream is off the board usually. This draft is one of the deepest for some time, pass on this class you may have to wait until the team bottoms out with going 2-15 or some god awful record to take another swing.

We missed Stroud mah dude... 2024 we're not going to draft a QB... especially with Carroll now on the hot seat and Jody likely to sell the team.

Stroud was our chance. Sadly I think if he was there Carroll still would've drafted Witherspoon. Witherspoon is a stud, but Stroud is a bigger one and plays a far more important position. You and I were certainly in Stroud's camp leading up to the draft. Everyone wanted Witherspoon (which sure made sense) but you and I were some of the only folks on this board mentioning Stroud as the next option.

Anyone still saying they'd take Witherspoon over Stroud, Anderson... or I guess even Carter (now some injuries, although Witherspoon was injured) is insane...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Truer words could not have been spoken... Seattle is not drafting a QB in 2024... likely a safety like Kinchens/DeJean or trade down and snag Nubin with a reach in the 1st (yes... I'm going there) or snag Bowers if he falls at TE. It'll be low impact positions which Carroll has typically done over the years. 3rd round will likely be Guard, RT (sorry but Abe Lucas is going to be an injury liability - we tried, it started out fine, but finally came into play) ILB, and/or DL.

That's a very early prediction from my end so I'll put a disclaimer that I am not standing by that (hell we're not even near the NFL draft yet), but I think it'll be something along those lines.
Lots of decent OL this draft so could be how Pete decides to go, course many of them will be off the board by the time Seahawks draft. Your worried about Lucas but Cross took a step backwards this season. Literally you could make a case of every OL position to address this draft for the Seahawks.LOL

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2024 could be that bottom, the roster is going to be gutted and its going to get a lot younger.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of decent OL this draft so could be how Pete decides to go, course many of them will be off the board by the time Seahawks draft. Your worried about Lucas but Cross took a step backwards this season. Literally you could make a case of every OL position to address this draft for the Seahawks.LOL

Cross was playing with turf toe almost the whole season. He did very well in pass blocking (not a great run blocker) in a lot of games.
Lewis simply stopped caring. I really have no clue if he's just done with Seattle or football all together.
Brown was a disappointment, I wish we'd started playing Oluwatimi more who I think can be a good replacement. He fell in the draft but I think he can be a starter next year.
Bradford had good flashes, and then disaster flashes. Haynes was a stupid solution to begin with.
Lucas basically missed the whole season. His knee concerns were a major issue coming out of College and it's come back to bite us. Hey, if he plays 17 games a year at RT for the next 5 years, I will gladly eat crow. If we march him out there next year, I give him less than half the season before it's something else.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2024 could be that bottom, the roster is going to be gutted and its going to get a lot younger.
Maybe but I doubt it. IDK if gutted is the right word either. Cutting 2-4 over paid under producing players and replacing a couple of grey beards ( which likely are in the over paid group) isn't gutting IMO.