• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

QB options for next year

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I'm sure flyer. Hence my post saying if Stroud was still there, we'd probably take Richardson or if both were there taken Witherspoon anyway.

Carroll seemed orgasmic over Witherspoon.. I think he had his mind made up 100% that's who he wanted and Schneider was probably like, "Whatever." lol.

For a DB being top 5 it should be a DROY type player, and while Carter or Anderson will probably snag it (bigger markets, both teams in the playoffs), Witherspoon IMO had the biggest impact on the field (I watched all 3 play). It turned out to be a fine pick... but just saying anyone on this forum at this point would've preferred Stroud. Sadly he wasn't there and sadly I don't think we would've taken him if he was.

Hindsight really helps to make the right pick.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, ok, got it. yeah, I think there was a lot of favor for Stroud in here. I definitely liked him over Bryce Young and absolutely over Richardson. I would have still wanted Carter at 5 because I am just not a huge fan of top pick QBs in general. It's all guesswork as to whether Stroud will be better than anyone in this class, but of course he's much more of a known quantity at the NFL level with how he played as a rookie. If the top 3 QBs off the board in this next draft are Caleb Williams, Drake Maye, and Jayden Daniels, I bet at most 1 of them works out. Wouldn't at all be surprised if all 3 were busts.

Historically speaking, at most, only 2 of them will be successful.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel the possibility of Seahawks taking a QB round one just got better now that Pete isn't going to be coaching. JS comes from the Packers where stocking up on QBs regularly was a real thing and seemed to work out great for them. I got to say I was feeling pretty down about the future, but this sure gives me some hope, although no guarantees of working out.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel the possibility of Seahawks taking a QB round one just got better now that Pete isn't going to be coaching. JS comes from the Packers where stocking up on QBs regularly was a real thing and seemed to work out great for them. I got to say I was feeling pretty down about the future, but this sure gives me some hope, although no guarantees of working out.

I think a lot will depend on who they hire. If they hire someone with a strong pedigree that is confident in his position, I could see him going QB. If they hire an unproven player, I imagine they would be gunshy on drafting a QB.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a lot will depend on who they hire. If they hire someone with a strong pedigree that is confident in his position, I could see him going QB. If they hire an unproven player, I imagine they would be gunshy on drafting a QB.
Maybe, but if JS is calling the shots in the draft I could see him going QB and if a strong candidate comes in I could see him wanting a good QB prospect taken also. ;)

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe, but if JS is calling the shots in the draft I could see him going QB and if a strong candidate comes in I could see him wanting a good QB prospect taken also. ;)

Entirely possible but I really hope that whoever they hire has a similar relationship with JS that Pete did, even if JS has more power in the relationship than he did with Pete.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Entirely possible but I really hope that whoever they hire has a similar relationship with JS that Pete did, even if JS has more power in the relationship than he did with Pete.
Of course. No one wants a power struggle between the front office and coaching staff, that gets ugly.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see any HC candidate wanting his future riding on Geno Smith. Also from what I hear next year draft is weak at the QB position.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see any HC candidate wanting his future riding on Geno Smith. Also from what I hear next year draft is weak at the QB position.
Its more likely geno is gone, traded if we are extremely lucky, and they do what it takes to move up and get a legit qb prospect.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the possibility of Justin Fields being our QB next year is becoming more likely.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its more likely geno is gone, traded if we are extremely lucky, and they do what it takes to move up and get a legit qb prospect.

I think that is pretty unlikely, to be honest. Gonna cost us 17 million to get rid of him. I know that fans want to blame him for all the offensive woes but he wasn't nearly as bad as fans think.

I would be pretty shocked if Geno isn't the starter at least going into camp.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,938.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the possibility of Justin Fields being our QB next year is becoming more likely.

I think this is the Hawks play. Fields and another journeyman QB who compete for the starting job and a mid round project QB.

This would allow a "new HC" to get a 2nd year more likely than if he drafted a QB early and made him the starter then the team goes 3-14.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is the Hawks play. Fields and another journeyman QB who compete for the starting job and a mid round project QB.

This would allow a "new HC" to get a 2nd year more likely than if he drafted a QB early and made him the starter then the team goes 3-14.
Fuuuuuuuuuuuck that, fields is a certified bust.
I think that is pretty unlikely, to be honest. Gonna cost us 17 million to get rid of him. I know that fans want to blame him for all the offensive woes but he wasn't nearly as bad as fans think.

if they think they are gonna run it back with this roster and a new coach, they have already lost.

The roster needs major changes and its likely QB will be one of them now.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuuuuuuuuuuuck that, fields is a certified bust.

if they think they are gonna run it back with this roster and a new coach, they have already lost.

The roster needs major changes and its likely QB will be one of them now.

Well I don't think they will run it back per se. There will be a bunch of changes. But there is only so much change they will be able to do. Unless they blow it all up, which is possible but unlikely, they are going to be constrained by the contracts.

I don't see what QB they could get that would notably improve our QB position, outside of drafting one which is a lotto ticket.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Doubt John or the new HC want to pay Geno 35 million when they save 22.5 million with a post June 1st cut/trade. It's not like Geno is leading the Seahawks to victory. Also the Seahawks could use the cap savings to help fill holes. What the Seahawks do in the draft depends how the draft falls and who is still on the board, but if Penix or Nix are still available be hard not to take one of them because then you save a bunch at the QB position.
Looking at spotrac the cap hit for that pick in 2024 would be 2.8 million and then sign Lock or someone similar to compete.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doubt John or the new HC want to pay Geno 35 million when they save 22.5 million with a post June 1st cut/trade. It's not like Geno is leading the Seahawks to victory. Also the Seahawks could use the cap savings to help fill holes. What the Seahawks do in the draft depends how the draft falls and who is still on the board, but if Penix or Nix are still available be hard not to take one of them because then you save a bunch at the QB position.
Looking at spotrac the cap hit for that pick in 2024 would be 2.8 million and then sign Lock or someone similar to compete.

A post June 1st cut splits the cost over 2 years.

If they draft a QB they will still keep Geno because it would be foolish to go all in on a rookie QB. The only way they get rid of Geno is if they can find a vet that will A) provide approximately the same value and B) save them cap space in some way. That's a pretty fine needle to thread.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,938.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I don't think they will run it back per se. There will be a bunch of changes. But there is only so much change they will be able to do. Unless they blow it all up, which is possible but unlikely, they are going to be constrained by the contracts.

I don't see what QB they could get that would notably improve our QB position, outside of drafting one which is a lotto ticket.

From what I hear the hawks will be 7mill OTC in 2024. Cutting Geno and Adam's give them a nice bit of cap room but some dead cap to deal with. That's better than being over the cap though.

I would sign Lock to be the vet back up QB, He comes much cheaper than Geno.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There will be a bunch of changes.
Oh yeah, not only new HC but new OC and DC be interesting to see if they go back to the 4-3 or find someone who KNOWS how to run a 3-4. New QB in this situation are nearly SOP.