• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

QB options for next year

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 28,955.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, you see what you want to see and you've been obsessed with Geno since before the season started.

Whether you are capable of accepting it or not here are the facts....

Does that make Geno the most clutch QB in the NFL? No. And it certainly doesn't make him anywhere close to the best QB in football. But he was historically clutch this season.

This team has a lot of talent at the skill positions. But the offensive line was mediocre, at best. In games when Kenneth Walker had 70+ yards rushing, the Seahawks were 5-0.

Drew Lock had a passer rating of 81 and a QBR of 43 this season. The only place he looked "really good" was in your imagination.

And before you even bother, I don't care about Geno Smith. If we cut him next week, I'll be more than fine with moving on.

I realize that you will ignore all these points because this has become religion for you but for the rest of us, we are more concerned with the team actually getting better rather who the QB will be.
Against a prevent defense?

He had a good season when he revived his career last season but he regressed this just season.

IMO.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know if anyone has mentioned him in this thread, but what about Mason Rudolph? I can't imagine Pittsburgh will carry Kenny Pickett and Rudolph next season.

Rudolph looked pretty good in the last three games (the only ones he started this year). The Offensive Line seems to perform better when he is under center than it does with Pickett. Sitting the bench, watching, and learning the last three years, seems to have benefitted him compared to the stats he put up as a rookie. Still, 3 games is a very small sample set. One game was against the reeling Cincinnati Bengals and another game was against the 2nd string of the Baltimore Ravens.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol Geno is a bottom teir QB that doesn't elevate the talent around him. That's what you want from a QB. Lock played well against the 49ers in Levi stadium He kept the team in the game with less than a day of #1 reps. The next week he beat the eagles. Geno AT BEST goes 1 and 1 in those two games. A rusty Lock went 1 and 1.

And this is why I said it was pointless to even discuss Geno with you. I posted a empirical fact. You ignored it and just restated what you always said. Geno suck and Lock is better. We all know your opinion on this.

Drew Lock throws 2 picks against the Niners and yet that is somehow a good game. You are too funny.

Also go back to 2021 and you will see me defending Geno. Yeah that's something a person with hate or some made up vendetta would do right? Geno was carried by a talented wr group and I personally would Say a top 2 Wr group in the NFL a YE group that wasn't used enough and a running game that didn't get enough chances in many games. He was carried and bolstered and that's fine, thats how you win games. You build a team strong enough to do JUST THAT. Once done you plug in your young qb.

So you were supporting him when he was the backup and now trash him? Sounds like a bad case of Clipboard Jesus syndrome.

You began your jihad against Geno last offseason when you were proclaiming that Geno was historically lucky.

Geno will not even be a top 19 QB next year and I don't get how you can't see this. Cut him get out of debt and actually have 13 million In Space. Sign a low dollar vet and get your young QB on the roster be it draft or trade.

Keep pretending Geno is a good QB if that's what you want. Geno is a good back up. That's it and to expensive for that role.

I'm perfectly fine with them cutting Geno provided they have a plan. Cutting him, signing someone else to be a caretaker starter in hopes that whoever we draft will take over is not a plan. It's a prayer.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Against a prevent defense?

He had a good season when he revived his career last season but he regressed this just season.

IMO.

Errr. The stat was 7 go ahead TDs in the 4th quarter or overtime. If a team is playing prevent defense while protecting a one score lead, they deserve to lose.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geno still isn't that good.

I'm not suggesting he is good. Geno is a slightly above league average QB. Like about half the other QBs in the league.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While there are any number of ways things could play out I think there are 3 paths the team would take. I'm curious as to what they think is the best option.

1. Keep Geno another year and draft a QB and let Lock walk.
2. Cut Geno, draft a QB and resign Lock
3. Keep Geno and resign Lock

I'm putting aside the possibility of getting some other vet QB to replace Geno as that doesn't make much sense. I'm also putting aside the notion that this team will draft Maye, Daniels or Williams as they are all likely gone before we draft and I doubt the team will spend the capital to move up to get them. If we draft a QB it is going to be one of Penix, Nix, McCarthy, or Ward. At least with their 1st round pick.

I think Option 3 seems pretty unlikely but it can't be ruled out. If Schneider and the new coach think that the problem wasn't Geno but rather the offensive and defensive lines they may think that the best bet is to run it back and get a stud lineman with the 16th pick.

I think Option 2 is the riskiest. Any of the QBs we are likely to be able to draft will be question marks as rookie starters. Penix's injury history could mean he misses significant time as a rookie. McCarthy is raw. Nix did not play in a NFL style offense.

Option 1, IMO, is the best option. It gives the team the best chance to win in 2024 while also setting the team up for the future. Of course this assumes that there is a QB that Schneider thinks can be a good pro.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,571.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With a new regime, I'm ready to move on from Geno... I'd be ok if Lock started the year instead...

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCarthy is going pro.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCarthy is going pro.
Interesting. I thought it would be good for him to stay 1 more year at Michigan, but now that we know Harbaugh is at least interviewing for an NFL job, maybe that clinched it.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. I thought it would be good for him to stay 1 more year at Michigan, but now that we know Harbaugh is at least interviewing for an NFL job, maybe that clinched it.

Could be.

McCarthy probably needs a year in the pros before he starts. Not sure I would like to see the Hawks take him but if we did then we would DEFINITELY want to keep Geno around another year.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could be.

McCarthy probably needs a year in the pros before he starts. Not sure I would like to see the Hawks take him but if we did then we would DEFINITELY want to keep Geno around another year.
I would not be excited or pleased if McCarty was taken by the Seahawks TBH. He just doesn't look like a franchise type to me, although I probably should watch more of his games before deciding. However the more choices the better for teams wanting a QB.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would not be excited or pleased if McCarty was taken by the Seahawks TBH. He just doesn't look like a franchise type to me, although I probably should watch more of his games before deciding. However the more choices the better for teams wanting a QB.

I watched just about every Michigan game this year. He was extremely accurate and got better each year. He's athletic. Has a good arm and quick release. He's a bit slim and definitely needs to bulk up. And he's never had to put the offense on his back.

Definitely a high ceiling/low floor type choice.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every michigan game i watched, mccarthy was not asked to do much. Its hard to evaluate, the combine will be huge for him

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every michigan game i watched, mccarthy was not asked to do much. Its hard to evaluate, the combine will be huge for him

Agreed. It's really hard to measure him because the offense was so run centered. And that's what you pretty much read from most of the draftniks.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,938.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And this is why I said it was pointless to even discuss Geno with you. I posted a empirical fact. You ignored it and just restated what you always said. Geno suck and Lock is better. We all know your opinion on this.

Drew Lock throws 2 picks against the Niners and yet that is somehow a good game. You are too funny.

So you were supporting him when he was the backup and now trash him? Sounds like a bad case of Clipboard Jesus syndrome.

You began your jihad against Geno last offseason when you were proclaiming that Geno was historically lucky.

I'm perfectly fine with them cutting Geno provided they have a plan. Cutting him, signing someone else to be a caretaker starter in hopes that whoever we draft will take over is not a plan. It's a prayer.

Never said Lock was better. Said he would be a better option yes. He is younger and is just as capable as Geno. But like always you try and twist it into some kind of hate. Sorry it's called being smart with the limited cap space and making the team "younger".

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

One of the first mocks I've seen that have Nix and Penix gone in the top 15.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

One of the first mocks I've seen that have Nix and Penix gone in the top 15.
A few things that jump out to me on that one:
  • Footballskins & Pats fans probably really like it, but a WR hasn't gone 1 overall since Keyshawn in 1996.
  • Jayden Daniels to NYG. They just gave Jones a big contract less than a full calendar year ago, now already drafting his replacement seems like b2b knee-jerks.
  • Penix to Vikings at 1.11. This seems like the best fit for him, even if Cousins is back for 1 more year. Throwing to JJ and a couple other decent weapons indoors over half the season is a good match for his arm talent. Just heard on 710 that Penix is playing in the Sr Bowl.
  • Bo Nix to Broncos at 1.12. I agree with the comment that Nix is underappreciated in this class. Will Denver finally get the QB right? Lots of investment and jersey switching at that position since Manning with not much to show for it.
  • Chop Robinson? I guess if 5 QBs are off the board in the first dozen picks, the 2nd best pass rusher would be ok. Can't have too many of those I suppose. Better than taking a RB or TE here, but for pure rooting interests I think I would prefer Trice from UW.
  • Odunze to Cincy seems like overkill at WR unless they lose both Boyd and Higgins, but that would be quite a 1-2 with Chase.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few things that jump out to me on that one:
  • Footballskins & Pats fans probably really like it, but a WR hasn't gone 1 overall since Keyshawn in 1996.
  • Jayden Daniels to NYG. They just gave Jones a big contract less than a full calendar year ago, now already drafting his replacement seems like b2b knee-jerks.
  • Penix to Vikings at 1.11. This seems like the best fit for him, even if Cousins is back for 1 more year. Throwing to JJ and a couple other decent weapons indoors over half the season is a good match for his arm talent. Just heard on 710 that Penix is playing in the Sr Bowl.
  • Bo Nix to Broncos at 1.12. I agree with the comment that Nix is underappreciated in this class. Will Denver finally get the QB right? Lots of investment and jersey switching at that position since Manning with not much to show for it.
  • Chop Robinson? I guess if 5 QBs are off the board in the first dozen picks, the 2nd best pass rusher would be ok. Can't have too many of those I suppose. Better than taking a RB or TE here, but for pure rooting interests I think I would prefer Trice from UW.
  • Odunze to Cincy seems like overkill at WR unless they lose both Boyd and Higgins, but that would be quite a 1-2 with Chase.

Mostly agree with you. I would be really surprised if No. 1 isn't Williams even if the Bears aren't the ones to take him. If the Giants like Daniels, I can definitely see them taking him. They can get off of Dimes next year without too much pain.

I'm not against Chop but I would much prefer one of the beefy interior guys. Or trade down and nab a safety/linebacker.