• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

QB options for next year

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How likely do you think it is for the Hawks to make a huge leap up in the draft order before 2/16?

In order to get a QB they would probably need to move to the top 3 we would need to give up something like this year's 1st, next year's 1st, both 3rds and a future 2nd.

No thanks.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In order to get a QB they would probably need to move to the top 3 we would need to give up something like this year's 1st, next year's 1st, both 3rds and a future 2nd.

No thanks.
IDK if it would be necessary or even possible to move into top 3, but moving up a bit to jump a team who may take the QB they want could be in play, but TBH it seems to be a tough move to make since they don’t have a second round pick and lots of holes to fill.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No thanks.
Yep, huge price to pay for the opportunity to make a very risk pick on a QB. Hard to see how that would make sense. Also hard to see making sense: 1) going into the new league year with 0 QBs on the roster but $17M spent at the position and 2) cutting Geno after his 2024 base salary is guaranteed. Neither of those 2 things will happen.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK if it would be necessary or even possible to move into top 3, but moving up a bit to jump a team who may take the QB they want could be in play, but TBH it seems to be a tough move to make since they don’t have a second round pick and lots of holes to fill.
Well if they want one of the top 3 choices they would have to move up to the top 3. At least if they are making a pre-draft trade.

If they moving up to draft one of the 2nd tier picks that would almost certainly be a draft day trade.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,773.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you feel the choice of HC will effect if the Seahawks take a QB round one? I would imagine a defensive minded HC like say Macdonald would push hard for a defensive player being picked round one (yes JS is in charge, but working with the HC and filling his wants/needs is important). Kafka is the only offensive minded candidate to get a second interview, although I think Johnson will get a second interview and maybe more interviews will be added.
No I don't think so. MacDonald as good as he is can spot defensive talent throughout the draft.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,773.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At some point, sure. But cutting him before 2/15 creates a ton of risk. Also puts them in a bad negotiating position.
Sure there's risk if a plan is ready in place but I doubt anything is going to happen. What I do believe is we'll have a coach by the end of the week.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Priorities should be #1/ get the new HC and staff in place, #2/ deal with the salary cap and make the necessary cuts to trim the fat, and then #3/ worry about the draft. Way too much time between now and April and still have the combine and all the other stuff to see how things start to shake out. Selling the farm to try to go after one of the top guys would be idiotic imo and I highly doubt that's even a thought in John's head. I want our QB of the future as much as anybody but it will be more of a Jordan Love situation, imo. Maybe not the 2-3 year thing but where the kid has to sit and learn and be truly ready when called upon. I have serious doubts that any of the QBs coming out do what C.J. Stroud did starting day 1. No matter how hyped they are.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Priorities should be #1/ get the new HC and staff in place, #2/ deal with the salary cap and make the necessary cuts to trim the fat, and then #3/ worry about the draft. Way too much time between now and April and still have the combine and all the other stuff to see how things start to shake out. Selling the farm to try to go after one of the top guys would be idiotic imo and I highly doubt that's even a thought in John's head. I want our QB of the future as much as anybody but it will be more of a Jordan Love situation, imo. Maybe not the 2-3 year thing but where the kid has to sit and learn and be truly ready when called upon. I have serious doubts that any of the QBs coming out do what C.J. Stroud did starting day 1. No matter how hyped they are.

I mean you look who Schneider liked. Rodgers (who I guess could've gone #1 instead of Smith but free fell), Wilson (3rd rounder), Allen (7th overall, but he was the 3rd QB taken), Mahomes (10th overall but 2nd QB taken.

Seems the guys Schneider has liked aren't like top 1-5 picks. They can be had a bit later. There's actually a LOT of QBs in this draft. Yes Williams and Maye and Daniels will go probably before us (probably all top 5). But then you've got Nix, Penix, McCarthy.. there's some other names there. But I can't imagine a world we're trading up to top 5. First off, the three first teams (Bears, Commanders, Pats) all need QBs. So while they may trade for one of those guys it'd be a king's ransom. You're talking like 4 1st round picks, both 3rd round picks, probably a player, and 2 more 2nd rounders.

While I thought it was a stupid trade at the time, the Skins gave up three 1st round picks and a 2nd rounder to move from #6 to #2.... and the team drafting #2 (think it was the Rams?) didn't need a QB. Moving from #16 to top 5 just wont happen. And at #4 it's the Cards... who aren't gonna trade with us anyway lol (unless we did something unbelievably stupid like give them what I typed above).

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean you look who Schneider liked. Rodgers (who I guess could've gone #1 instead of Smith but free fell), Wilson (3rd rounder), Allen (7th overall, but he was the 3rd QB taken), Mahomes (10th overall but 2nd QB taken.

Seems the guys Schneider has liked aren't like top 1-5 picks. They can be had a bit later. There's actually a LOT of QBs in this draft. Yes Williams and Maye and Daniels will go probably before us (probably all top 5). But then you've got Nix, Penix, McCarthy.. there's some other names there. But I can't imagine a world we're trading up to top 5. First off, the three first teams (Bears, Commanders, Pats) all need QBs. So while they may trade for one of those guys it'd be a king's ransom. You're talking like 4 1st round picks, both 3rd round picks, probably a player, and 2 more 2nd rounders.

While I thought it was a stupid trade at the time, the Skins gave up three 1st round picks and a 2nd rounder to move from #6 to #2.... and the team drafting #2 (think it was the Rams?) didn't need a QB. Moving from #16 to top 5 just wont happen. And at #4 it's the Cards... who aren't gonna trade with us anyway lol (unless we did something unbelievably stupid like give them what I typed above).

I think we should just put aside the idea that we are trading up to the top 5. Way too costly and the team has way too many other needs to address to give up that much draft capital.

Maybe they move up a few spots but even that I doubt.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe they move up a few spots but even that I doubt.
With currently not having a 2nd round pick, trading down from 1.16 seems exponentially more likely than trading up and maybe even more probable than standing pat.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,571.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With currently not having a 2nd round pick, trading down from 1.16 seems exponentially more likely than trading up and maybe even more probable than standing pat.
Agreed... I also don't see us trading future 1st/2nd rounders to move up in the draft with a new regime coming aboard...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't all 3 first round QBs start last year? Also O'Connell and Levis ended up as starters also. You mentioned Love sitting, but he had Aaron Rodgers ahead of him. Franchise types QBs on rookie contracts are the biggest golden ticket in the NFL that teams covet for the financial leg up it gives teams. We experienced that here in Seattle ourselves with RW. The concept of sitting rookie QBs is a hangover from the old day's before salaries sky rocketed and cap management became an important element of success. Now a day's it's the norm to start your rookie QB ASAP so as not to squander a year or two of the advantage it provides. By the way Packers are going to have to ante up and pay Love the big dollars after only starting for one season. Ouch.
Going after a top three QB is out of the question this season IMO ( short on draft capitol and picking so late), last season they were in a position to do that ( coulda of shoulda went for the #1 overall), a rare opportunity for a team that as a rule drafts from middle to late in rounds, starting at the 5th spot and owning extra firsts and seconds it was an ideal time to land that top prospect at QB. I suspect Pete and JS didn't agree with the choice made but Pete had the final say and well...... we saw how that turned out. Now we are picking middle of the pack as normal, knowing a least 3 QBs are going ahead of their pick and could be more and next year draft class looks very weak. I get worked up every time I think about the wasted opportunity of last draft. Pete and his " I can win a Super Bowl with Geno" arrogance. Pete the HC would of been better off firing Pete the GM, because the guy could coach but keep shooting himself in the foot with player management. Next HC has a high bar to clear, where going 9-8 isn't good enough and even got Pete fired.
JS has a tough road ahead as you listed priorities, and how he does will be the key to succeeding or failing.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't all 3 first round QBs start last year? Also O'Connell and Levis ended up as starters also. You mentioned Love sitting, but he had Aaron Rodgers ahead of him. Franchise types QBs on rookie contracts are the biggest golden ticket in the NFL that teams covet for the financial leg up it gives teams. We experienced that here in Seattle ourselves with RW. The concept of sitting rookie QBs is a hangover from the old day's before salaries sky rocketed and cap management became an important element of success. Now a day's it's the norm to start your rookie QB ASAP so as not to squander a year or two of the advantage it provides. By the way Packers are going to have to ante up and pay Love the big dollars after only starting for one season. Ouch.
Going after a top three QB is out of the question this season IMO ( short on draft capitol and picking so late), last season they were in a position to do that ( coulda of shoulda went for the #1 overall), a rare opportunity for a team that as a rule drafts from middle to late in rounds, starting at the 5th spot and owning extra firsts and seconds it was an ideal time to land that top prospect at QB. I suspect Pete and JS didn't agree with the choice made but Pete had the final say and well...... we saw how that turned out. Now we are picking middle of the pack as normal, knowing a least 3 QBs are going ahead of their pick and could be more and next year draft class looks very weak. I get worked up every time I think about the wasted opportunity of last draft. Pete and his " I can win a Super Bowl with Geno" arrogance. Pete the HC would of been better off firing Pete the GM, because the guy could coach but keep shooting himself in the foot with player management. Next HC has a high bar to clear, where going 9-8 isn't good enough and even got Pete fired.
JS has a tough road ahead as you listed priorities, and how he does will be the key to succeeding or failing.

If you think this team would have been better last year with CJ Stroud but not Witherspoon and no JSN and no Metcalf, I don't know what to tell you.

This team didn't fail because of the offense. It had its struggles certainly but it was FAR more consistent than the defense was. And I would argue that much of their struggles was due in large part to Carroll's overarching gameplan.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you think this team would have been better last year with CJ Stroud but not Witherspoon and no JSN and no Metcalf, I don't know what to tell you.

This team didn't fail because of the offense. It had its struggles certainly but it was FAR more consistent than the defense was. And I would argue that much of their struggles was due in large part to Carroll's overarching gameplan.
I don't know if Shroud would of made 2023 better, but for sure the Seahawks would be in a better spot to build a championship team. I don't know what to say to those who don't agree with that. WRs and CBs can be found way way easier then a franchise QB, so yes it would of totally been worth it.
I've always believed Pete could coach with the best of them, his record here makes that obvious. However I admit to some envy seeing the 49ers and Rams offensive schemes, so since Pete was let go I want that young rising offensive mind here as HC not as a OC because then he leaves for a HC job. Funny how Pete game plan is criticized but now X's and O's suddenly aren't important, but "culture" is paramount, which is hilarious because the Seahawks already had that with Pete.

Reactions: MrS

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if Shroud would of made 2023 better, but for sure the Seahawks would be in a better spot to build a championship team. I don't know what to say to those who don't agree with that. WRs and CBs can be found way way easier then a franchise QB, so yes it would of totally been worth it.
I've always believed Pete could coach with the best of them, his record here makes that obvious. However I admit to some envy seeing the 49ers and Rams offensive schemes, so since Pete was let go I want that young rising offensive mind here as HC not as a OC because then he leaves for a HC job. Funny how Pete game plan is criticized but now X's and O's suddenly aren't important, but "culture" is paramount, which is hilarious because the Seahawks already had that with Pete.

It's not about a specific WR or CB. It's about draft capital in general. The Panthers gave 2 1st, 2 2nds and a top flight WRs. Historically that is a very risky proposition. And of course everyone assumes that the Seahawks would have picked Stroud eventhough few people thought he was the top choice BEFORE the draft.

Gameplan is not the same as play calling. Gameplans are built the week before a game. Gameplans are where they decide to create the playbook that the playcaller is going to use. The full playbooks are huge.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny how Pete game plan is criticized but now X's and O's suddenly aren't important, but "culture" is paramount, which is hilarious because the Seahawks already had that with Pete.
Exactly, why fire pete then? Why wait on hiring quinn if culture is paramount and fuck Xs and Os?

• Haha
Reactions: JMR

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly, why fire pete then? Why wait on hiring quinn if culture is paramount and fuck Xs and Os?

Why do you keep bringing Quinn up as if others are arguing that we should hire Quinn?

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you misunderstood my meaning, Harold. Starting as a 1st round rookie is almost a given. What I meant was more about the success as a rookie. Stroud clearly did something special and we will wait and see on Richardson and Young but my point about Love was more about how us picking later will mean if we were to pick a QB, he likely isn't a day 1 starter but more of a guy that will need to sit and learn for a while. I clearly said I wasn't talking the 2-3 year thing like Love but just that we would likely never see the type of impact Stroud had. And very few people thought Stroud would have that kind of impact. We thought he might be the most solid choice but last year's QB class was very weak overall. I'm not sure if trying to trade up for the 1st pick was honestly an option but as you say, Pete had too much say and it likely wasn't even a thought. It's all hindsight though and now we just have to deal with things.