• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

QB options for next year

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penix is having a game
Unreal game, playing out of his mind
Showing great pocket presence and really good deep ball only missed one so far

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penix is absolutely dealing. Too bad a game like this does nothing to his draft status, huh?

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penix is absolutely dealing. Too bad a game like this does nothing to his draft status, huh?
he us playing his way into a top 15 pick. Showing pocket presence, showing athleticism

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he us playing his way into a top 15 pick. Showing pocket presence, showing athleticism

And dropping dimes.

I was referencing someone here who said teams don't adjust their draft status much because of big, nationally televised games. I don't agree with that. Guys can certainly greatly improve their status in these big games.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And dropping dimes.

I was referencing someone here who said teams don't adjust their draft status much because of big, nationally televised games. I don't agree with that. Guys can certainly greatly improve their status in these big games.
I know you were, and im obviously with you.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man oh man would I be happy if the Seahawks can nab Penix. Looks like a stud today.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A series of events almost lost them that game.

First inexplicably throwing on 3rd down before they kicked the fg to go up 9. Had they burned a TO there, they could have kneeled and ran out the clock after the onside kick and the RB doesnt get hurt to stop the clock.

a simple strategic blunder almost cost them the game.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And dropping dimes.

I agree to an extent but I also think scouts and GMs tend to not let that small sample size influence them too much. Remember DeShaun Watson. Ended up being the 3rd QB off the board and he had back to back years of great games. We all know now what that turned out to be but at the time. he really was the most talented QB in that draft. Just over-shadowed now by Mahomes. Of course the Bears ineptitude played a huge factor.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree to an extent but I also think scouts and GMs tend to not let that small sample size influence them too much. Remember DeShaun Watson. Ended up being the 3rd QB off the board and he had back to back years of great games. We all know now what that turned out to be but at the time. he really was the most talented QB in that draft. Just over-shadowed now by Mahomes. Of course the Bears ineptitude played a huge factor.

I don't think that big performances in big games will dramatically change a players draft position but it can certainly have an impact. These types of games are the closest a college kid will get to playing in a NFL level game. High pressure games against teams that usually have very good defenses.

Penix will have what's likely to be an even bigger test next Monday as the Michigan defense is almost certainly the toughest defense he will face all year.

If he performs like he did last night against Michigan, I could definitely see him go in the mid to late 1st round. That would be a pretty big jump given he is slated as a 2nd rounder in most mocks.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And dropping dimes.

Not really what I said, but people like to twist words. In a nutshell, what I said was I don't think actual NFL teams are going to have these massive fluctuations based on 1 game. Maybe fans and people who do mocks will, but I think NFL teams are more savvy and probably already have Penix maybe higher than where the public perception has him. I never came close to saying that these games don't impact draft stock at all.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really what I said, but people like to twist words. In a nutshell, what I said was I don't think actual NFL teams are going to have these massive fluctuations based on 1 game. Maybe fans and people who do mocks will, but I think NFL teams are more savvy and probably already have Penix maybe higher than where the public perception has him. I never came close to saying that these games don't impact draft stock at all.

Ultimately, Penix's draft slot will probably be driven more team needs than some general draft value. Penix could be anywhere between QB4 and QB7 with QB4/5 being the most likely slot.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ultimately, Penix's draft slot will probably be driven more team needs than some general draft value. Penix could be anywhere between QB4 and QB7 with QB4/5 being the most likely slot.
Probably so. I think he showed those mostly unfamiliar with him last night that he's a legit NFL QB. NFL teams already knew that though because they don't just casually keep up with things like most of us (and most pundits) unless it's your own team. I told you before the game I thought he was QB3, and he lived up to it. And he didn't really show anything other than what he's been doing his whole time as a Husky. Live & accurate arm, moves the pocket well, cool as a cucumber. Not only is Penix a better pro prospect than Jayden Daniels or McCarthy, Bo Nix is as well.

Last edited:

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree to an extent but I also think scouts and GMs tend to not let that small sample size influence them too much.
Yes, scalpel cuts vs chainsaw cuts. The casual observer learned a lot more about Penix last night than actual NFL teams who have millions upon millions of dollars invested in the outcome.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably so. I think he showed those mostly unfamiliar with him last night that he's a legit NFL QB. NFL teams already knew that though because they don't just casually keep up with things like most of us (and most pundits) unless it's your own team. I told you before the game I thought he was QB3, and he lived up to it. And he didn't really show anything other than what he's been doing his whole time as a Husky. Live & accurate arm, moves the pocket well, cool as a cucumber. Not only is Penix a better pro prospect than Jayden Daniels or McCarthy, Bo Nix is as well.

How much Daniels and McCarthy film have you watched?

You are the only person I see saying that Penix is a better prospect than Daniels.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much Daniels and McCarthy film have you watched?
Haha, fair.

I guess the coolest thing I did was go to an LSU game this year, which was a great experience.

Maybe what I was trying to say is that the way Penix can play as a passer is typically what NFL teams value over the traits of Daniels and McCarthy, but I guess we'll see.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha, fair.

I guess the coolest thing I did was go to an LSU game this year, which was a great experience.

Maybe what I was trying to say is that the way Penix can play as a passer is typically what NFL teams value over the traits of Daniels and McCarthy, but I guess we'll see.

I haven't watched a lot of Daniels so I can't speak to him.

As for McCarthy, he has a very strong arm and is very athletic. The system he plays in tends to limit the number of passes he makes in the game. He's also 3 years younger than Penix.

To be clear, I'd be perfectly happy with the Hawks taking either McCarthy or Penix or Nix.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for McCarthy, he has a very strong arm and is very athletic. The system he plays in tends to limit the number of passes he makes in the game. He's also 3 years younger than Penix.
Is the age thing really that big of a factor for Penix? I think his maturity as a ~24 year old and 6th year senior makes him ready to step in and play right now. I have some trepidation about throwing a 21 year old QB to the wolves in the NFL.
To be clear, I'd be perfectly happy with the Hawks taking either McCarthy or Penix or Nix.
Lots of QB talent in this class. It looks like Cam Ward is joining the fun as well.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is the age thing really that big of a factor for Penix? I think his maturity as a ~24 year old and 6th year senior makes him ready to step in and play right now. I have some trepidation about throwing a 21 year old QB to the wolves in the NFL.

I think when it comes to the age thing, it's more that Penix is closer to a finished product whereas McCarthy can still develop. There is some concern that older players start becoming big fish in a small pond

Lots of QB talent in this class. It looks like Cam Ward is joining the fun as well.

Haven't seen him play but I do see him rated pretty highly.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,747.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
... I can't stop focusing on that one bad pass he threw during the game... Because of that pass, he had a mediocre game...

In all seriousness... He had a phenomenal game on one of the biggest stages in college football... I was very happy for Penix... He's a great leader on that team...

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,747.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. So if he doesn't get drafted and doesn't hire an agent, can he retain college eligibility? Or am I getting confused with the NBA?
I think that they commit to the draft in CF/NFL vs the NBA the kids get to go back... I'll admit though, I'm not 100% sure about that unless I research it...

If not, I know they're trying very hard to make it the case... They are still a, "student" so it would make sense to allow them to come back to school if undrafted...