• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

QB options for next year

Tahuyaman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, fair. Not tons of draft classes have 4 QBs go in the 1st round, but it does happen from time to time. Lots of variables, as you say.

Genuinely curious: what are the question marks you have with Penix? I know he has an injury history, but he's been out there every game for both years at UW. He isn't the athlete that Caleb Williams is, but he can move around the pocket pretty well and hoof it for a 1st down when needed, a la Aaron Rodgers. No questions at all about arm strength or overall arm talent.
Penix had two very serious knee injuries at Indiana. They weren’t the type which could indicate a player is injury prone. He’s the most accurate passer in this draft.

Reactions: JMR

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 39,773.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WASH could be a legit opportunity for him... If I remember correctly, WASH was trying to trade for RW but the Hawks wanted RW out of the NFC... WASH actually offered a better deal at the time...
Russ didn't waive his no trade clause to Washington. I believe they also had the better offer than Denver but nothing they could do about it.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, fair. Not tons of draft classes have 4 QBs go in the 1st round, but it does happen from time to time. Lots of variables, as you say.

Genuinely curious: what are the question marks you have with Penix? I know he has an injury history, but he's been out there every game for both years at UW. He isn't the athlete that Caleb Williams is, but he can move around the pocket pretty well and hoof it for a 1st down when needed, a la Aaron Rodgers. No questions at all about arm strength or overall arm talent.

Penix is a 24 year old QB with some injury history. He's not super athletic and his arm slot is not ideal.

None of that means he can't be a very good QB but those are concerns.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The greatest coach of all time and he's likely done in New England after 2 bad seasons.
Hm.

Belichick is 83-99 regular season without a HOF QB.

Carroll is 65-68 (assuming Wilson is HOF).

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hm.

Belichick is 83-99 regular season without a HOF QB.

Carroll is 65-68 (assuming Wilson is HOF).

Very true. One could argue that Parcells was better because he could take teams with average QBs to the Super Bowl.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penix is a 24 year old QB with some injury history. He's not super athletic and his arm slot is not ideal.
Yeah, I somewhat get the arm slot thing. He has about a 3/4 type delivery, but it's no worse than some of the others I've seen like Philip Rivers. It certainly hasn't kept him from being the most prolific FBS passer for 2 years running. I guess we'll see on that. Is 24 old? Maybe for a rookie I suppose, but it almost seems ideal for me if the plan is to put him out there right way. He's a little more mature than someone who just got out of HS 3 years ago. And if he's good, you still get 10+ years out of him.
None of that means he can't be a very good QB but those are concerns.
I think a lot of it has to do with being from UW. People on the east coast don't watch the late west coast games, and people in the south don't think there's good football out west. NFL teams rise above that stuff, but it's a real thing when talking to the casual or even serious college fb fan.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I somewhat get the arm slot thing. He has about a 3/4 type delivery, but it's no worse than some of the others I've seen like Philip Rivers. It certainly hasn't kept him from being the most prolific FBS passer for 2 years running. I guess we'll see on that. Is 24 old? Maybe for a rookie I suppose, but it almost seems ideal for me if the plan is to put him out there right way. He's a little more mature than someone who just got out of HS 3 years ago. And if he's good, you still get 10+ years out of him.

I think a lot of it has to do with being from UW. People on the east coast don't watch the late west coast games, and people in the south don't think there's good football out west. NFL teams rise above that stuff, but it's a real thing when talking to the casual or even serious college fb fan.
I think what happens in the next couple of weeks will determine what people think of Penix. Part of that west coast bias might be due to the competition as well. There aren't any defenses like Georgia, Bama etc. A couple of good ones but certainly not the caliber of some of those eastern and SEC teams.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think what happens in the next couple of weeks will determine what people think of Penix.
Oh, without a doubt. I bet the majority of people watching the game tomorrow night will be seeing Penix (aside from ESPN highlights) for the first time, maybe 2nd if they caught the P12 Champ game. They'll be learning a lot more about his game than will NFL teams who have been tracking him closely every week for 2 seasons at UW.

Part of that west coast bias might be due to the competition as well. There aren't any defenses like Georgia, Bama etc. A couple of good ones but certainly not the caliber of some of those eastern and SEC teams.
Probably true. I know for sure if you talk to SEC fans, they aren't hearing anything about football anywhere else. They have been the best conference for a while, but it's also clouded their judgment a bit and often keeps them from having a reasonable discussion about college ball that doesn't support SEC worship.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some won’t because they can’t because of salary cap issues.
Right, so they can't be counted as one of the teams trying to get him.
Atlanta, NY Giants, NE, Tennessee, New Orleans, Raiders, Minnesota, Chicago, Carolina, Pittsburg.

They could all use him. Some of those teams have a young guy who’s not working out and may benefit sitting behind Wilson for a few seasons.

I can't agree with the Giants or Saints. Already in too deep financially with current QBs to make it work.

Caleb Williams, Drake Maye, Jayden Daniels, and JJ McCarthy are going to be drafted by 4 of the remaining 8 teams, and I think that takes them out from pursuing Wilson (Wilson will be signing before the draft most likely, but teams in the catbird seat for draft picks won't sabotage their plan by bringing in RW).

That leaves 4. 1 or 2 of those teams will end up signing a lower level free agent of some sort, as there are undoubtedly several who will hit the market. That will end up leaving probably 2, maybe 3 teams who will actually go after Russell. Just my opinion, of course.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,747.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cameron Ward just announced he will make himself eligible for the NFL draft

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cameron Ward just announced he will make himself eligible for the NFL draft
Interesting. So if he doesn't get drafted and doesn't hire an agent, can he retain college eligibility? Or am I getting confused with the NBA?

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ive been half watching the rosebowl, mccarthy would be a fool to declare for the draft.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ive been half watching the rosebowl, mccarthy would be a fool to declare for the draft.
Wish I could watch, looking at the box score looks like his stats are good. What you see?

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing negative really. They weren't putting a lot on his shoulders and relied on the run game as usual.
If he stays another year he will probably be a top pick. He goes now he will be qb 4 at best.

Now that they won against bama, if they win it all, he will probably declare.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing negative really. They weren't putting a lot on his shoulders and relied on the run game as usual.
If he stays another year he will probably be a top pick. He goes now he will be qb 4 at best.

Now that they won against bama, if they win it all, he will probably declare.
I think McCarthy declares if Harbaugh leaves

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCarthy had a good game today after he settled down.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCarthy had a good game today after he settled down.
It looked like they were going to lose when i posted that.

I think they win it all now, in which case he declares. No reason to stay after winning it all

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penix showing off his deep ball

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2