• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Put Pettigrew on the block?

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I like Pettigrew and was a bit disappointed to see his numbers decline drastically. I still dont know what to think about it but Im sure he isn't too happy about it. If the Lions do work to upgrade the oline, it makes sense to keep his services but if things stay the same, Im not sure if they should keep him here.

I think he's too good to cut though just for cap space. How about throwing him on the trading block?

I would like to think he's worth a 4th or a 5th. Thoughts?

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he brings more value than what he would get in a trade. He does a very good job blocking, and we know that he can be good enough in the passing game. For whatever reason we failed to utilize him. That is something that at this point makes me more worried about our offensive game plans than him regressing. I like the idea of being able to have three TE that can all catch the ball.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pettigrew can't catch lol, I'd take him as a blocker but he's gonna want paid

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Lombardi is going to use him as nothing more than a sixth lineman, Id be happy with a sixth rounder.

Last couple games it almost seemed like Joe remembered he's the franchises alltime TE reception leader though. I might not be in the majority, but I think BP is actually an asset. Was happy he was resigned. And would be happy to see him be Staffs safety valve/aerial ground game option again next year.

If we were to trade him, we'd have to address conventional TE again either in the draft or FA. Wouldn't want to see Ebron as the only TE. (I assume Fauria is gone.)

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel that way too. They better sit down and figure that one out.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good post Smitty.

I think he stays but they better get him the damn ball. Last year, my thoughts were that he would always be open and shouldve had a nice role in most games.

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate to always be bitching about playcalling since I did the same with Linehan, but damn I'm unhappy with Lombardi. I guess the difference being I liked the gameplans Linehan would used, but would often be unhappy with specific calls in situations. Lombardi I'm unhappy with both.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put Pettigrew on the block?
As in medieval times for beheading? Seems a little extreme but I could probably get on board with that if Millenhew went first for having resigned him in the first place.

I would like to think he's worth a 4th or a 5th. Thoughts?
I would like to think he was worth the 20th pick and that I am getting younger, smarter, and thinner. But none of those things are happening.

If Lombardi wasn't a moron he would have been more productive. No real cap savings and we aren't going to get any value in a trade. Keep him one more year. He is still the best TE on the team.

Last edited by a moderator:

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit would be in the market for another TE if they traded Pettigrew. I don't see any way that Ebron or Fauria is going to be consistently counted on to block. It would free up cap space though -- Detroit could use the mid to late round pick they get to draft a block TE or find one for cheap in FA.

They could use the money they save with Pettigrew to upgrade the OL, if that happened.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As in medieval times for beheading? Seems a little extreme but I could probably get on board with that if Millenhew went first for having resigned him in the first place.

I'm extremely tired after a long night, but this absolutely cracked me up. As did the next comment in the same post from Dr. Evil. Two thumbs up for those comments.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good post Smitty.

I think he stays but they better get him the damn ball. Last year, my thoughts were that he would always be open and shouldve had a nice role in most games.

He's no gamechanger. But as far as blocking and a short range option target, Pettigrew doesn't have a great deal of peers. Like FS, my frustrations lie with Lombardi. Especially with his use of BP.

Try to not let myself think about what could have been if Scotty was still here. But I do from time to time. And I think we would have watched more games we cared aboot.

Suppose a coach that a rookie at what he's responsible for should be graded on a curve, just like a player is. But Im hoping for Sophomore improvement from Joe more than I am from BP's TW buddy Eric.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this a way of saying he'd be more useful as a tackling dummy?

If we could get a 7th rounder in return I'd do it in a heartbeat. Not going to hold my breath.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
absolutely not put Pettigrew on the trading or cutting block............. this year

maybe next year or more than likely 2017... until Fauria and Ebron both can do what Petti does in-line
..... no way

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still at a loss as to how he went from catching 70+ balls a year to like 4 last year. I mean fuck, they threw him that one pass late in the year and he looked like he was on crack he turned up the field so fast. Hopefully they remember that he can catch a few passes here and there...

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still at a loss as to how he went from catching 70+ balls a year to like 4 last year.

I think a lot of it had to do with the fact the OL struggling tremendously in pass protect this year. So instead of running routes, he was blocking when in the game. With the draft pick of Ebron (as well as Fauria) -- his chances of route running are limited.

I do agree it is mind blowing he only had 4 catches. You'd think with what they paid him -- he would have been a more integral part of the offense. He would have been a great safety valve for Stafford this past year.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I chalk it up to one thing.......Linehan vs. Lombardi.........Simple as that.....

Linehan loved the seam route with Pettigrew, Lombardi disagrees.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they had a better all around TE on the roster I would say hell yes! But they don't have a guy that can block and in todays NFL we see teams using 2 and 3 TEs. He has a role on the team problem is they signed him as an all purpose TE.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Lombardi is going to use him as nothing more than a sixth lineman, Id be happy with a sixth rounder.

Last couple games it almost seemed like Joe remembered he's the franchises alltime TE reception leader though. I might not be in the majority, but I think BP is actually an asset. Was happy he was resigned. And would be happy to see him be Staffs safety valve/aerial ground game option again next year.

If we were to trade him, we'd have to address conventional TE again either in the draft or FA. Wouldn't want to see Ebron as the only TE. (I assume Fauria is gone.)

I agree. Pettigrew is a solid tight end, why they didn't throw to him at all was a mystery to me. Pettigrew has dropped a few in the past, but I think he still has pretty good hands. Not to mention he is a great blocker.
I thought going into last season the game plan was going to revolve around our stable of tight ends(ala the Patriots from 2 years ago.) Injuries put the kabosh on that. Which (depth) is even a better reason to keep Pettigrew.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What block are we putting him on? A block of cheese? Only M&M pays a 6th offensive lineman 4 million a year.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pettigrew is not a bad TE. And while I don't like the way they structured his new contract he probably wasn't overpaid at the time.

He certainly looks that way now based on his stats, or lack thereof, in 2014 but I don't think that's his fault. He certainly wasn't the only TE on the roster who had disappointing stats. The both simply have a bad OC.

If the Lions are going to contend next year the most improved person (not player) in the organization has to be Lombardi. And I would put Millenhew next in that he needs to find a couple impact FA's and deliver a draft that actually makes a meaningful contribution in their rookie year.