• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Prophet time: What is the Mariners next move or what should the Mariners Consider?

hawkfan1073

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll go first....
What I think they will do:
I think the Mariners sign Napoli

What I think they should try:
I think the Mariners instead of shipping Franklin-Walker for Price should ship Franklin to the Cubs for Almora or Soler if they would do it.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
David Price. The front 3 of the rotation would be ridiculous (Felix, Bear, Price).

They also need to add bats. Cano is a massive upgrade, but that lineup is terrible. They need another 2 (maybe 3) upgrades to it. Choo would be a great fit.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
David Price. The front 3 of the rotation would be ridiculous (Felix, Bear, Price).

They also need to add bats. Cano is a massive upgrade, but that lineup is terrible. They need another 2 (maybe 3) upgrades to it. Choo would be a great fit.
David Price would cost Taijuan Walker and I'm not ok with that.

Felix, Kuma, Walker, Paxton, Free Agent - I can live with this

Yes, add another bat. Preferably an OF bat, so Kemp, Hart, or Choo

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll go first....

I think the Mariners instead of shipping Franklin-Walker for Price should ship Franklin to the Cubs for Almora or Soler if they would do it.

Now you're getting creative, especially since Cubs have quite a few OF prospects.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll go first....

I am a huge fan of Almora would be all for that move. It doesn't really help the team now but it does give the Mariners a plan for the future in the outfield. The M's in my opinion are lacking in OF prospects.

Now what I think the Mariners should do next...
Starting pitcher- If Seattle trades for Price (which I am not yet convinced that is the best move yet) you basically have two Aces and Iwakuma. That is a good rotation.

If you don't trade for Price you can still sign one of the Santana, Garza, Jimenez, Colon and still have Walker. Which I think is a better plan for future success as well as a very good starting rotation for now.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should force Iwakuma to talk to Tanaka until he chooses the M's

Felix
Iwakuma
Tanaka
Maurer/Erasmo/??
Walker/Paxton

::drool::

Then they should find a corner OFer for Franklin and spare parts.

hawkfan1073

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should force Iwakuma to talk to Tanaka until he chooses the M's

Felix
Iwakuma
Tanaka
Walker
Paxton

::drool::

Then they should find a corner OFer for Franklin and spare parts.
I fixed your lineup...that is IF we could sign Tanaka.

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sign some more free-agent Yankees. :hope:

I am so tired of seeing good players go to them! Seeing one leave them is definitely helping my morale.

johnfree63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I think they'll do-
Bedard 2.0 type of trade

What I want them to do
-
Sign Choo and then make a play for Stanton

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoping they get Nelson Cruz, preferably with extremely limited no-trade possibilities in his contract.

Buy low, sell high.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only skimmed through this thread so I'm not sure if it has been mentioned yet but word is Walker would be required in any trade for David Price.

Would you still be willing to trade for him?

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what I would do:

I'm not sure about the details of the Morales qualifying offer but I say you offer him a reasonable 3 year contract since the Mariners have plenty of leverage due to the lack of interest in Morales so far, then do the following:

-Sign Matt Garza, Ervin Santana or Ubaldo Jimenez. This or make a run for Tanaka.
-Sign Shin-Soo Choo. Stay away from Nelson Cruz and Carlos Beltran. Cruz I'm not a fan of and I feel as if Beltran is too old. If we cannot land Choo then look at trade options.
-Trade Nick Franklin and X to the Yankees for Brett Gardner. Gardner is an underrated player, the Yankees recently signed Jacoby Ellsbury and have a bit of a jam at OF. Nick Franklin could help them replace Cano.

I'm not sure what the Mariners payroll limit is going to be but I think this could give the Mariners a contender. Here is what the lineup could look like:

1. Brett Gardner OF
2. Brad Miller SS
3. Robinson Cano 2B
4. Kendrys Morales DH
5. Kyle Seager 3B
6. Shin-Soo Choo OF
7. Justin Smoak 1B
8. Michael Saunders or Dustin Ackley OF
9. Mike Zunino C

1. Felix Hernandez
2. Hisashi Iwakuma
3. Matt Garza/Ervin Santana/Ubaldo Jimenez/Tanaka/David Price
4. Taijuan Walker
5. James Paxton

Saunders, Ackley, Gardner and Choo have all played all outfield spots so you can place any of them in whichever one.

I'm obviously playing dream GM but that would be a pretty damn good team if you ask me.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be nice to have a true RH splitting up Cano and Seager and I doubt Walker and Paxton are both in the rotation this season, but other than that it looks nice.

edit - I take it back about the RH. Kendrys has good splits from the RH side. I was thinking he was better left handed for some reason

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be nice to have a true RH splitting up Cano and Seager and I doubt Walker and Paxton are both in the rotation this season, but other than that it looks nice.

Nelson Cruz. :)

I'd be fine with Shin Soo Choo, of course, but we desperately need a decent hitting rightie.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nelson Cruz. :)

I'd be fine with Shin Soo Choo, of course, but we desperately need a decent hitting rightie.

Yea thats that thing looking at the lineup. Miller, Smoak, Ackley, Saunders, Seagar, Cano all lefties. Preferably a right handed hitting outfielder is whats needed. Outfield needs desperately to be upgraded but thats obvious.

I've heard a Franklin-Billy Butler discussed which makes sense to me as well as signing Cruz.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea thats that thing looking at the lineup. Miller, Smoak, Ackley, Saunders, Seagar, Cano all lefties. Preferably a right handed hitting outfielder is whats needed. Outfield needs desperately to be upgraded but thats obvious.

I've heard a Franklin-Billy Butler discussed which makes sense to me as well as signing Cruz.

Smoak is a switch hitter. But yes a good right hand hitting player would be a nice touch.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Smoak is actually a switch hitter, and has never faced a lefty from the left side (though he has faced 3 ABs against righties right handed). So, he doesn't quite fit the right/left mold. Though at times I wish he would just stick with one side, since he has some real issues staying consistent.

As for a RHB, I think the team really needs to go for Corey Hart. The same organization that was in on the Cano deal (CAA) is representing Hart. He's coming off a year long injury, which should effect his value, and it would be a good fit to let him DH. Though he could also fill in at LF, RF & 1B. Something like 4 years, 36-40 million. That should be cheaper than the 6 year 100 million I've seen being estimated Choo will get.

I still like Choo, but I'm not sure he's worth $100 million, especially when he batted .215 against lefties last season, so he's a liability against southpaws if that continues.

I think that Xavier Avery and Abraham Almonte should be in the conversation to compete for a spot. They are similar players, though Almonte has more power, but with the outfield woes, I would look for anything. I really don't want Saunders or Ackley out there with any real regularity. Both are guys who have some speed on the basepaths, and they have spent most of their development in other organizations (Avery in Baltimore, Almonte New York).

I don't think the team should just sit pat and let those returning and those in the minors be the only OF options. Giving Guti an invite to ST would be good, but also target guys like Chri Coghlin, Delmon Young, Derrick Robinson, Jordany Valdespin, Brennan Boesch and Tyler Colvin are just a few guys who could be brought in to see if they will compete for a position without (most likely) demanding massive amounts of money.

Suk-min Yoon is looking to come over to the MLB from Korea. He was considered the second best pitcher in Korea behind Hyun-Jin Ryu, who was pretty good this past season in LA. Ryu was signed to a 6 year $36 million when going to the Dodgers, so Yoon would probably look for something similar (and he's only 27). MLBTR estimates 2 years $10 million, but with Ryu's success last year (and he's the same age), I don't know why he would take so much less. On a side, having Choo may actually make this easier to manage, for obvious reasons.

I would like to bring in a LHP to start, but there really isn't much on the market right now, so Paxton could fill that role. I wouldn't mind going after guys like Tommy Hanson and Daniel Hudson.

Tanaka would also be awesome, but we'll have to see how that situation works out.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for a RHB, I think the team really needs to go for Corey Hart. The same organization that was in on the Cano deal (CAA) is representing Hart. He's coming off a year long injury, which should effect his value, and it would be a good fit to let him DH. Though he could also fill in at LF, RF & 1B. Something like 4 years, 36-40 million. That should be cheaper than the 6 year 100 million I've seen being estimated Choo will get.

I would like to bring in a LHP to start, but there really isn't much on the market right now, so Paxton could fill that role. I wouldn't mind going after guys like Tommy Hanson and Daniel Hudson.

Tanaka would also be awesome, but we'll have to see how that situation works out.

I'm not sure how much I like the idea of Corey Hart. I originally typed this up saying that I liked Hart as a low risk, high reward type move but then I took a look at his splits...

Here are his career splits:
Home: 94 HR .291 BA .352 OBP .539 SLG
Away: 60 HR .262 BA .316 OBP .446 SLG

Here are his 2012 splits...
Home: 22 HR .301 BA .359 OBP .629 SLG
Away: 8 HR .241 BA .310 OBP .393 SLG

That scares the Jesus out of me. I think I would stay away from him. I want to like the idea of signing him due to his overall yearly stat line, but it looks like playing in Miller Park REALLY gives him a big boost.

I still like Choo, but I'm not sure he's worth $100 million, especially when he batted .215 against lefties last season, so he's a liability against southpaws if that continues.

I have not heard the $100m number but if that's what he is going to cost I agree with you. I had assumed he would get a 5 year $75m deal or so. I would take him at 5 years $75m but not 6 years $100m. Although after the Cano deal that feels like spare change.

Red Sox got a bargain with Napoli. His contract was 2 years $32m I believe, surprised that he was willing to go on such a short contract. Obviously not a low annual number but the short duration is a good deal for them.

I don't think the team should just sit pat and let those returning and those in the minors be the only OF options. Giving Guti an invite to ST would be good, but also target guys like Chri Coghlin, Delmon Young, Derrick Robinson, Jordany Valdespin, Brennan Boesch and Tyler Colvin are just a few guys who could be brought in to see if they will compete for a position without (most likely) demanding massive amounts of money.

I agree. I'd like to see Guti given an invite to spring training. He is made of glass and seems to catch every disease on the planet but when he is healthy he is a really productive player.

Suk-min Yoon is looking to come over to the MLB from Korea. He was considered the second best pitcher in Korea behind Hyun-Jin Ryu, who was pretty good this past season in LA. Ryu was signed to a 6 year $36 million when going to the Dodgers, so Yoon would probably look for something similar (and he's only 27). MLBTR estimates 2 years $10 million, but with Ryu's success last year (and he's the same age), I don't know why he would take so much less. On a side, having Choo may actually make this easier to manage, for obvious reasons.

Not too familiar with the players from Korea and Japan but I think that both those countries could be untapped resources. The Mariners landed Iwakuma on the cheap and he has been great for us so far. Would not be bad to keep looking over there.

Asian players seem to have a really good track record so far coming over to MLB. I'm surprised there is not a higher demand for them. Not too many hitters have succeeded (Only two I can think of without hurting my brain is Ichiro and Matsui), but the pitchers seem to have done very well here.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure how much I like the idea of Corey Hart. I originally typed this up saying that I liked Hart as a low risk, high reward type move but then I took a look at his splits...

Here are his career splits:
Home: 94 HR .291 BA .352 OBP .539 SLG
Away: 60 HR .262 BA .316 OBP .446 SLG

Here are his 2012 splits...
Home: 22 HR .301 BA .359 OBP .629 SLG
Away: 8 HR .241 BA .310 OBP .393 SLG

That scares the Jesus out of me. I think I would stay away from him. I want to like the idea of signing him due to his overall yearly stat line, but it looks like playing in Miller Park REALLY gives him a big boost.

Really, my desire for Hart is for a couple of reasons:

1) There really doesn't appear to be that many right handed bats on the market. I have been looking at who's available, and almost everyone who is worth having in my book bat left handed. Even the lesser talent guys that I listed as wanting to sign on the cheap and bring in to compete were mostly left handers.

2) After the injury last year, he may be able to be gotten cheap and with a short contract. If he doesn't pan out it shouldn't be like Figgins, we should only have him a year or two (even though I did type 4 years).

3) His splits could be concerning, especially when Miller Park is a top 10 offensive park in the Majors, but the Safeco effect isn't as bad as it has been. I think the Mariners' scoring woes last year was just the way the Mariners played on offense. Safeco was ranked 15 in Ball Park Factor, up from 30th. Get some more bats that can actually hit and score runs, and that ranking should go up even more.

I have not heard the $100m number but if that's what he is going to cost I agree with you. I had assumed he would get a 5 year $75m deal or so. I would take him at 5 years $75m but not 6 years $100m. Although after the Cano deal that feels like spare change.

I got that off his profile page on MLBTR, and though it's really just one guy, I used the number because that's all I've really seen of anyone trying to figure out what he's looking for. I wouldn't mind 5 and 75.

Not too familiar with the players from Korea and Japan but I think that both those countries could be untapped resources. The Mariners landed Iwakuma on the cheap and he has been great for us so far. Would not be bad to keep looking over there.

Asian players seem to have a really good track record so far coming over to MLB. I'm surprised there is not a higher demand for them. Not too many hitters have succeeded (Only two I can think of without hurting my brain is Ichiro and Matsui), but the pitchers seem to have done very well here.

Not sure why Asia isn't hit more. I can understand Japan to an extent, with all the fees just to negotiate with the player, but I don't get the feeling that Korea has those limitations. There've only been 15 Korean born players in the MLs and the first wasn't until 1994 (Chan Ho Park).

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) There really doesn't appear to be that many right handed bats on the market. I have been looking at who's available, and almost everyone who is worth having in my book bat left handed. Even the lesser talent guys that I listed as wanting to sign on the cheap and bring in to compete were mostly left handers.

2) After the injury last year, he may be able to be gotten cheap and with a short contract. If he doesn't pan out it shouldn't be like Figgins, we should only have him a year or two (even though I did type 4 years).

3) His splits could be concerning, especially when Miller Park is a top 10 offensive park in the Majors, but the Safeco effect isn't as bad as it has been. I think the Mariners' scoring woes last year was just the way the Mariners played on offense. Safeco was ranked 15 in Ball Park Factor, up from 30th. Get some more bats that can actually hit and score runs, and that ranking should go up even more.

I understand that. I still just have a huge fear of going after guys who hit a lot better at home. I can deal with a small discrepancy but when the difference is as huge as it has been for Hart I say stay away. The past few years the difference between hitting at home and hitting away for him has just been massive.

I cannot help but think that unless he goes to another hitters park he will struggle at his home stadium as he does on the road. Even if he does hit as well at Safeco as he does at Miller park, do you really want a guy who will be so inconsistent you might as well bench him on the road?