• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Proof Stafford isn't the problem.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because that is where 95% of starting NFL QB's come from - the first round. So which ones taken in the 1st round taken since him would you rather have than him. Go ahead and name any rookies in the up-coming draft if you like. Also, Mark Sanchez. He was taken that year too.

How about I just have a Matthew Stafford that throws passes at a 64% completion rate and 15 or less pick a season? How about I have a QB that can win without his #1 receiver? How about I have a quarterback that can realize his recklessness hurts his team? How about I have a quarterback who realizes he plays sloppy football? How about I have a quarterback that doesn't cancel players only meetings? How about I have a quarterback that makes his teammates better? Throws his receivers open? Has a little fucking touch? How about I have a quarterback that doesn't blame his line or his receivers for his poorly thrown passes?(I've went over the Staff for whoever thing a thousand times.). His contract is impossible to move, whoever it is that should take his place is pointless. It's his place for the length of his ridiculously high contract.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about I just have a Matthew Stafford that throws passes at a 64% completion rate and 15 or less pick a season? How about I have a QB that can win without his #1 receiver? How about I have a quarterback that can realize his recklessness hurts his team? How about I have a quarterback who realizes he plays sloppy football? How about I have a quarterback that doesn't cancel players only meetings? How about I have a quarterback that makes his teammates better? Throws his receivers open? Has a little fucking touch? How about I have a quarterback that doesn't blame his line or his receivers for his poorly thrown passes?(I've went over the Staff for whoever thing a thousand times.). His contract is impossible to move, whoever it is that should take his place is pointless. It's his place for the length of his ridiculously high contract.

So nobody. I agree. I thought you might say Andrew Luck.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might help if he had a HC and OC who took advantage of that big arm and didn't ask him to throw slants 90% of the time.

Would help if Young, Broyles, Pettigrew, Williams, or LeShoure would be legit weapons teams had to scheme for. Oh wait that would be Mayhew's genius as a draft guru.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is franchise QB's don't grow on trees. Some franchises spend decades looking for one. Stafford has been successful at every level only stumbling in the hands of these coaches. Linehan has been fired from every job he's ever had.

Unless you think Stafford is simply un-coachable, I don't know what you want as an alternative. He's 25, jammed with talent, and has an arm most QB's would kill for. How is it his fault his OC shoe-horns him into a short route, quick read offense? That shit worked for the Rams over 10 years ago. Doesn't work in 2013 and sure as hell is not the right offense for a power arm like Stafford.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because that is where 95% of starting NFL QB's come from - the first round. So which ones taken in the 1st round taken since him would you rather have than him. Go ahead and name any rookies in the up-coming draft if you like. Also, Mark Sanchez. He was taken that year too.

95% isn't even close. Look at the playoff teams in the NFC. The bears/Pack winner will be the only team aside from Carolina who has a first round pick starting at QB.(Im assuming theCardinals don't make it. Palmer is shit anyway.) And the bears are better with their backup. (Foles, third. Brees, second. CK second. Romo undrafted. Newton #1. Palmer #1. Wilson third. Rodgers first, years of sitting. Cutler first, one playoff win, two teams.). Dalton and Brady, both division winners, weren't first round picks either.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is franchise QB's don't grow on trees. Some franchises spend decades looking for one. Stafford has been successful at every level only stumbling in the hands of these coaches. Linehan has been fired from every job he's ever had.

Unless you think Stafford is simply un-coachable, I don't know what you want as an alternative. He's 25, jammed with talent, and has an arm most QB's would kill for. How is it his fault his OC shoe-horns him into a short route, quick read offense? That shit worked for the Rams over 10 years ago. Doesn't work in 2013 and sure as hell is not the right offense for a power arm like Stafford.

It's his fault his coach runs slant passes because those passes lessen risk. He's a major turnover risk downfield and on out routes. If it weren't for CJ he wouldn't even have one season to try and pass success at the NFL level off on. He gets bailed out on long balls just as much as Kellen Moore would.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fine. Who of those guys who was drafted after Stafford would you rather have. Kaepernick? Wilson? Assuming the Lions land him in the 3rd round is a lot less realistic than actually grabbing a starting QB if they pass on Stafford like you wanted. Just trying to finish your choose your own adventure here. Help me out Smitty.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's his fault his coach runs slant passes because those passes lessen risk. He's a major turnover risk downfield and on out routes. If it weren't for CJ he wouldn't even have one season to try and pass success at the NFL level off on. He gets bailed out on long balls just as much as Kellen Moore would.

Coaching. All coaching. Unless, like I said, you're saying Stafford is simply un-coachable. You realize this staff drafted this guy. So by your own theory, Schwartz should be fired for wanting this guy to begin with.

Valion78

SportsHoopla Noob
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part of Stafford's regression is the failure to find a legit number two receiver. The guys we have don't get separation and are not really feared by opponents defenses.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fine. Who of those guys who was drafted after Stafford would you rather have. Kaepernick? Wilson? Assuming the Lions land him in the 3rd round is a lot less realistic than actually grabbing a starting QB if they pass on Stafford like you wanted. Just trying to finish your choose your own adventure here. Help me out Smitty.

I love choose your own adventure. But my football fan adventure was chosen for me. Then extended for some fucking reason.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That fumble was Staffords fault and the OL 10 yards up field....however thankfully Bell recovered

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaching. All coaching. Unless, like I said, you're saying Stafford is simply un-coachable. You realize this staff drafted this guy. So by your own theory, Schwartz should be fired for wanting this guy to begin with.

I think Mayhew should be fired for a number of reasons. One if which is extending Staff. I think Schwartz should be fired too. (If a Schwartzlike coach had been hired when Mooch was it could have worked. But by '09 the way JS wanted to run a team wasn't going to fly. He got his team to be the aggressive team most every matchup. And the franchise has paid a price.). But I think he'll end up fired over wins and losses, which is the wrong reason.

phantomfoul88

"Send Lawyers, Guns, and Money"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think we should give up on stafford but his accuracy and decision making must improve. No he's not the sole problem but we cant ignore his deficiencies.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part of Stafford's regression is the failure to find a legit number two
receiver. The guys we have don't get separation and are not really feared by
opponents defenses.

Blame that on Mayhew. Titus Young and Ryan Broyles were absolute PUKE picks. I said that on draft day both years.

Valion78

SportsHoopla Noob
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blame that on Mayhew. Titus Young and Ryan Broyles were absolute PUKE picks. I said that on draft day both years.

No probs blaming Mayhew. Just pointing out that Matthew can't do it by himself. Need to have another solid draft this offseason.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No probs blaming Mayhew. Just pointing out that Matthew can't do it by himself. Need to have another solid draft this offseason.

And Stafford needs to put in work.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your GM is not the problem. In fact, he is solely responsible for turning your franchise around.

Very wrong.

He helped Millen put this team in crapper to begin with. He's been marginal at best since Millen left. He continues to be part of the problem and needs to go.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very wrong.

He helped Millen put this team in crapper to begin with. He's been marginal at best since Millen left. He continues to be part of the problem and needs to go.

Agreed.

Valion78

SportsHoopla Noob
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Stafford needs to put in work.

This offseason will either see the Lions turn the corner or go into rebuild mode again,IMO. It starts with Stafford no doubt. He needs to improve. He needs to be reminded throughout every game " if it's not there throw it away". He needs to learn to let a down go and not force things.

Part of that growth will be finding a better OC that can design plays that get receivers open more consistently. More creative play design and more things that he does well. It will be interesting to see what unfolds, but make no mistake Stafford must improve.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not defending at all...just in hindsight as of now only Torrey Smith and Cobb have produced huge from after Young pick and Suna, Hilton and Randle have been somewhat steady WR's after Broyles pick. After that it has been mediocre talent.

So there was other talent there, just hard to always say who will stick??