• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Preseason Game 1 At Bears

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eagles lose 34-28 - they had a lead for a while and the Bears came back

What did you guys think of the game? I loved the kick return for the TD by Josh Huff and I liked some of the turnovers that the defense created

The first team offense struggled a bit and there were some penalties, but they'll clean that up

Macho Row

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some thoughts just off the top of my head.

Josh Huff looks like he will be a real player in this league. On O and ST. He was good in kick coverage as well as returns.

Beau Allen might be my new favorite Eagle.

I don't think there is a team in the league that can come close to our Depth on O.

Defense will be interesting. I hated the Billy Davis hire and roasted them for doing it, but I may have been wrong and he has earned the benefit of the doubt to me.

Marcus Smith looked good out there, still think they reached too far on him no matter how well he plays though.

All in all, it was the first preseason game. Some good, some bad. Should be an interesting year at worst.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some thoughts just off the top of my head.

Josh Huff looks like he will be a real player in this league. On O and ST. He was good in kick coverage as well as returns.

Beau Allen might be my new favorite Eagle.

I don't think there is a team in the league that can come close to our Depth on O.

Defense will be interesting. I hated the Billy Davis hire and roasted them for doing it, but I may have been wrong and he has earned the benefit of the doubt to me.

Marcus Smith looked good out there, still think they reached too far on him no matter how well he plays though.

All in all, it was the first preseason game. Some good, some bad. Should be an interesting year at worst.

Yeah I think at the very least you'll see Josh Huff returning kicks, field position is crucial in this league

I think Mark Sanchez actually looked pretty good in his time, I think barring some unforseen situation, he should be the number 2 QB

(Un)

Naturally Striped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just got to watch the game this afternoon. Because it wasn't televised live where I live and had to wait for the NFL Network replay...

Bear in mind (no pun intended), I did not watch the 2nd half. I can't be bothered with watching a field full of guys who likely won't make the final roster.

The good
The 1st team run defense looked stout, on both inside and outside runs. The only big (10+ yard) run I saw by Chicago's starters was called back due to a holding penalty.

Special teams looked great across the board: Kickoff and punt coverage, the blocked field goal, and the big return by Josh Huff.

Mark Sanchez looked sharp. I was excited about the signing and I don't expect him to disappoint.

Sproles still looks quick. I was very happy to see Momah line up wide with the starters.

Beau Allen looks like a solid pick up for a 7th round pick.

The bad & the ugly
The Chicago Bears 1st team defensive front manhandled Philadelphia's 1st team offensive line. Evan Mathis got his ass handed to him by Stephen Paea.

Very sloppy and poorly disciplined play by the starters:
- Facemask by Jeremy Maclin
- Two holds by Evan Mathis
- Penalty by Jason Peters
- Illegal contact by DeMeco Ryans
- Defensive holding on Brandon Boykin

1st team pass rush was minimal at best. And once Chicago's receivers got 10-15 yards downfield, the defensive backs looked overmatched.

DeMeco Ryans got beat on two separate Jay Cutler passes - including the opening touchdown throw to Zach Miller.

And of course, Nick Foles two interceptions (could have been three). Which were all thrown while under heavy pressure... because the offensive line simply did not look game day ready.

Macho Row

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I think at the very least you'll see Josh Huff returning kicks, field position is crucial in this league

I think Mark Sanchez actually looked pretty good in his time, I think barring some unforseen situation, he should be the number 2 QB

I agree, he absolutely will be the 2. I don't think you bring him here for anything other than the 2. I had a chance to go to some practices this year and Barkley looks amazing as far as commanding players and decision making. His arm is noticably stronger than last year but still not quite where you want it to be for an NFL QB. If he never can get it to the point where it should be, I'd love to see them keep him around on the coaching staff, the guy has such a grasp on the position and you can just sense how smart he is even from being out of ear shot.

Macho Row

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just got to watch the game this afternoon. Because it wasn't televised live where I live and had to wait for the NFL Network replay...

Bear in mind (no pun intended), I did not watch the 2nd half. I can't be bothered with watching a field full of guys who likely won't make the final roster.

The good
The 1st team run defense looked stout, on both inside and outside runs. The only big (10+ yard) run I saw by Chicago's starters was called back due to a holding penalty.

Special teams looked great across the board: Kickoff and punt coverage, the blocked field goal, and the big return by Josh Huff.

Mark Sanchez looked sharp. I was excited about the signing and I don't expect him to disappoint.

Sproles still looks quick. I was very happy to see Momah line up wide with the starters.

Beau Allen looks like a solid pick up for a 7th round pick.

The bad & the ugly
The Chicago Bears 1st team defensive front manhandled Philadelphia's 1st team offensive line. Evan Mathis got his ass handed to him by Stephen Paea.

Very sloppy and poorly disciplined play by the starters:
- Facemask by Jeremy Maclin
- Two holds by Evan Mathis
- Penalty by Jason Peters
- Illegal contact by DeMeco Ryans
- Defensive holding on Brandon Boykin

1st team pass rush was minimal at best. And once Chicago's receivers got 10-15 yards downfield, the defensive backs looked overmatched.

DeMeco Ryans got beat on two separate Jay Cutler passes - including the opening touchdown throw to Zach Miller.

And of course, Nick Foles two interceptions (could have been three). Which were all thrown while under heavy pressure... because the offensive line simply did not look game day ready.

The sloppiness I expect to get cleaned up. 1st preseason game, minimal contact in camp, not too concerned with that stuff yet. Same thing for Foles, his one INT was more of a great play by the Bears D lineman than anything else by getting a hand on it at the line.

The pass coverage is what is truly concerning. Yeah the Bears have one of the better 1-2 WR's in the league, but they didn't really do much to improve it. Malcolm Jenkins is an upgrade over Patrick Chung, but you and I would be an upgrade over that stiff. Jenkins has much more field presence and commands the DB's much better getting them in to place. I don't think you'll see nearly as many big plays where the WR was wide open and two DB's just standing there looking at each other, but it's still a major concern. Ofcourse he's a much better tackler as well.

Getting pressure on the QB may be an issue as well. I don't think we have the personell to run this 2 seam scheme. Vinny Curry is a stud, dude is a freak, but in this defense he's gonna be 1 down player. 2 at most if they get into an obvious pass situation early. I think they should be doing whatever is possibly needed to have him out there as much as possible. But it's only a matter of time till he's gone, you can hear it in Chips voice.

Overall I think the defense will improve, but I doubt we'll have the same kind of luck as last year running into 25 back up QB's in a row to end the season.