• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Potential Draft Lottery Changes?

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

16. The story's been in this blog before, but approximately five years ago, Philly wanted Jay Bouwmeester from Florida and the Panthers asked for Claude Giroux -- before the current Flyers captain was an established player. Paul Holmgren said no, a franchise-altering move. Someday, we're going to find out how many times he said no about Couturier. The Los Angeles Kings asked for sure last summer, when Jonathan Bernier was on the move, but the Flyers said no dice. I don't know how much Couturier will score, but he's an elite shutdown player

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
16. The story's been in this blog before, but approximately five years ago, Philly wanted Jay Bouwmeester from Florida and the Panthers asked for Claude Giroux -- before the current Flyers captain was an established player. Paul Holmgren said no, a franchise-altering move. Someday, we're going to find out how many times he said no about Couturier. The Los Angeles Kings asked for sure last summer, when Jonathan Bernier was on the move, but the Flyers said no dice. I don't know how much Couturier will score, but he's an elite shutdown player

I remember at one point I believe it was the year before Carter put up 40+ goals that they offered Jay Bo and their first for Carter. Now at the time I was pissed they didn't make the trade but now that we have Vorachek and Coots I'm glad they didn't. Also my buddy who scouts college for the Flyers stold me that Giroux was untouchable before he ever entered the league because Bobby Clarke thought he saw himself in G.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember at one point I believe it was the year before Carter put up 40+ goals that they offered Jay Bo and their first for Carter. Now at the time I was pissed they didn't make the trade but now that we have Vorachek and Coots I'm glad they didn't. Also my buddy who scouts college for the Flyers stold me that Giroux was untouchable before he ever entered the league because Bobby Clarke thought he saw himself in G.

I loved Carter and Richards when they were here but the return we got for them is amazing.
How mad would we all be right now be if the Flyers wouldve traded Gee for JayBo. If your buddy had anything to do with not making that trade please thank him for me.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never really got to see Bobby Clarke play, but I imagine that in addition to being an elite level player, that he was competitive as fuck. That is Claude Giroux all the way. If we can ever just bring in a number one defenseman (or solidify the defense) here in the next few seasons, I think we can become a powerhouse championship team for years.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
everyone knows this, but i'm glad they didnt trade for jaybo :lol:

i'm also extremely pleased with how things worked out w/ G, richie, and carter. i think the flyers kept the best player of the three, turned richards in to richards on speed (simmonds) and a pretty good 2C, and turned carter in to mini-bergeron and a top line winger.

pretty flawless execution by homer if you ask me :whistle:

Last edited by a moderator:

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i'm also extremely pleased with how things worked out w/ G, richie, and carter. i think the flyers kept the best player of the three, turned richards in to richards on speed (simmonds) and a pretty good 2C, and turned carter in to mini-bergeron and a top line winger.

cmon AWAZ stop it we all know you love Jaybo and have been trying to get him on this team for years at any expense. :lol:

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Reading this comparison is so satisfying. I am falling in love with Sean and all of the boatloads of potential he still has

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I loved Carter and Richards when they were here but the return we got for them is amazing.
How mad would we all be right now be if the Flyers wouldve traded Gee for JayBo. If your buddy had anything to do with not making that trade please thank him for me.

I don't get why Jay Bo gets such a bad wrap. I mean the guy puts up 35-40 pt almost every season and can play 25-28 minutes a game. How many D-men do we have like that? FYI had we made that trade (JayBo & florida's 1st for Carter) we would have picked 9th in 2008 and Hodgson went 10th, Myers went 12th, Karlsson went 15th, Del Zotto went 20th and Eberle went 22nd (we took Sbisa 19th). So chances are if we had made that trade Karlsson (I know for a fact that the Flyers were really high on Karlsson and if he was available when they picked he would have been a Flyer) would have been here and our defense would look a hell of a lot different. Also that was the draft with Stamkos, Doughty, Bogosian and Pietrangelo (going in that order before L Schenn) so there was always the opportunity to package both 1st rounders and move up. Just think we could have had the Blues 1st defensive pairing 5 years ago with Jay Bo and Pietrangelo if Homer could have made the trade. My point is yes it did work out but if that trade was made it had the potential to be a great trade too.

This is actually my biggest problem with Homer. He overvalues his players (like almost all GM's) and he turns down trades that he should make given what the team looks like when the offer is made. He's just a lot luckier then most GM's in the aspect that he turns down a good trade and another good trade materializes. I honestly want Homer out of the GM spot before the draft because looking at this team I feel like we're in about the same place we were before the Pronger trade and it took us years to recover from gutting our prospect pool (and we're still reasonably weak in that aspect).

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reading this comparison is so satisfying. I am falling in love with Sean and all of the boatloads of potential he still has

I give it 2 years before Coots is the best shut down C in the league. He needs to add about 10 lbs still and get some more games under his belt since the best thing for shut down players is experience.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get why Jay Bo gets such a bad wrap. I mean the guy puts up 35-40 pt almost every season and can play 25-28 minutes a game. How many D-men do we have like that? FYI had we made that trade (JayBo & florida's 1st for Carter) we would have picked 9th in 2008 and Hodgson went 10th, Myers went 12th, Karlsson went 15th, Del Zotto went 20th and Eberle went 22nd (we took Sbisa 19th). So chances are if we had made that trade Karlsson (I know for a fact that the Flyers were really high on Karlsson and if he was available when they picked he would have been a Flyer) would have been here and our defense would look a hell of a lot different. Also that was the draft with Stamkos, Doughty, Bogosian and Pietrangelo (going in that order before L Schenn) so there was always the opportunity to package both 1st rounders and move up. Just think we could have had the Blues 1st defensive pairing 5 years ago with Jay Bo and Pietrangelo if Homer could have made the trade. My point is yes it did work out but if that trade was made it had the potential to be a great trade too.

This is actually my biggest problem with Homer. He overvalues his players (like almost all GM's) and he turns down trades that he should make given what the team looks like when the offer is made. He's just a lot luckier then most GM's in the aspect that he turns down a good trade and another good trade materializes. I honestly want Homer out of the GM spot before the draft because looking at this team I feel like we're in about the same place we were before the Pronger trade and it took us years to recover from gutting our prospect pool (and we're still reasonably weak in that aspect).

Number one we dont know if we wouldve taken Karlson and number two we wouldnt have Gee so looking back this is still a no brainer. :nod:

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Number one we dont know if we wouldve taken Karlson and number two we wouldnt have Gee so looking back this is still a no brainer. :nod:

First I'm basing taking Karlsson off knowing what I was the told that the Flyers ranking system was for that draft.

Second I said Carter not Giroux, I think you're missing an earlier post. We still would have had Giroux.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First I'm basing taking Karlsson off knowing what I was the told that the Flyers ranking system was for that draft.

Second I said Carter not Giroux, I think you're missing an earlier post. We still would have had Giroux.

Oh got it still wouldnt want Jay bo and his salary for Carter. Hes had under 30 points for the last 4 years along with a 7 million tag i wouldnt want that. Just my opinion

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh got it still wouldnt want Jay bo and his salary for Carter. Hes had under 30 points for the last 4 years along with a 7 million tag i wouldnt want that. Just my opinion

Not to mention the eventual fall out from that trade. In a sense, you would be trading Coots and Voracek for Jaybo...boo

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Man you'd be a tough owner! For the most part every GM has the occasional fuck up and you shouldn't blame Homer for Prongers fluke injury who knows if that doesn't happen they could have easily won a cup as they were close...

He also did well in many trades that have retooled the team. If Luke progresses that would be huge. The rest have done well.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to mention the eventual fall out from that trade. In a sense, you would be trading Coots and Voracek for Jaybo...boo

So, it's Jay Bo and Karlsson vs. Cooter and Voracek.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, it's Jay Bo and Karlsson vs. Cooter and Voracek.

A lot of hypotheticals running in this thread. It's getting kind of out of hand. I'm out on a final thought. What exactly have Jay Bo and Karlsson won at this point? Also, with this trade we will assume we don't trade for Pronger. Which means we probably don't have the veteran leadership to win the Eastern Conference and make a run at the cup in 09-10.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
too many hypotheticals in here.

all i know is:

1. i give jaybo a bad wrap.. i think is over rated (and therefore overpaid).. i'm not sure many others do, unless i've convinced some of you :evil:

2. i love karlsson. i wish he was on the flyers.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man you'd be a tough owner! For the most part every GM has the occasional fuck up and you shouldn't blame Homer for Prongers fluke injury who knows if that doesn't happen they could have easily won a cup as they were close...

He also did well in many trades that have retooled the team. If Luke progresses that would be huge. The rest have done well.

I don't blame Homer for Pronger's injury, that would be ridiculous. I however don't agree with trading for any player and then giving them a huge 35 and over contract, it's just fucking stupid. Plus we payed a hefty price for Pronger, we gave up Lupul, Sbisa, John Moore (who's done nothing) & Emerson Etem (who is one of the Ducks top prospects and looks like he'll be a good player). That's definitely a lot for an aging player who was inevitably going to see a decline in skills. I just can't help but see the similarities between this team and the team we had pre- Pronger trade and I'd hate to see that repeated since we're finally starting to have an actual prospect pool and guys on ELC's are going to be essential moving forward to fit into the cap and compete for cups.

I did like the returns he got in the Richards and Carter trades, the Zhitnik for Coburn trade and I think the jury is still out on the JVR for L Schenn trade (but JVR was not seeing or probably would ever see consistent enough ice time to develop like he did in TOR).