• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Draft lottery

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of times the league cheats the lottery anyway to put stars in preferred destinations like in the NBA and NHL.
Believe what you want but it is the only system that works in the NBA. You can't have teams tanking for a generational prospect.

NFL and MLB there is absolutely no reason to have a lottery. It's stupid

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Believe what you want but it is the only system that works in the NBA. You can't have teams tanking for a generational prospect.

But how often do you have a "generational prospect" come into the draft?

In my lifetime, I've only seen a handful generational prospects worth tanking for to get the #1 draft position.
Magic - 1979
Hakeem - 1985
Robinson - 1987
Shaq - 1992
Duncan - 1997
Lebron - 2003

It's rare to get a kid at #1 that actually lives up to the hype. I don't think the lottery is even necessary in the NBA. One player can make a huge difference, but there is only so much room on a roster to have those guys.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

they're doing it in baseball now but it is really dumb.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of times the league cheats the lottery anyway to put stars in preferred destinations like in the NBA and NHL.

tinfoilmain615.jpg

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that's more down to terrible coaching and QB injuries. Rivera is just a bad coach.

They did trade away both started Edge rushers, but otherwise they're just bad.

Stlducks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They did trade away both started Edge rushers, but otherwise they're just bad.
I think there is a difference between tanking and rebuilding though. Trading away pieces you know are aging or you can't resign to help the rebuild is different then trying to lose games..

Plus it's hard to tell with Washington, they have been so poorly run for a long time now.

Stlducks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
been a fan since 70,and it,s the worst dc team i,ve ever seen.
2019, 2013 and 2014 were really bad too. Which makes it hard to say you are tanking when the team is consistently bad every few years.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2019, 2013 and 2014 were really bad too. Which makes it hard to say you are tanking when the team is consistently bad every few years.

they've been bad since Snyder and no Gibbs. They won the one playoff game with Gibbs the sequel and one with Turner. in 30 plus years.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they,v been bad,but always decent at competing till this year.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think one early pick can turn a franchise around in the NFL?

I completely disagree.

And it's crazy to me with you being a Lions fan to think as much

Yeah all it takes is one.

As a Browns fan (and me as a Viking fan) we wouldnt know for sure. But an elite QB turns around a franchise completely.

Putting together an NFL roster isnt nearly as hard as NFL teams make it look once you get a top 5 QB. Sashi Brown (I googled worst Cleveland GM and that is what came up) would have the Browns in the playoffs every single season pretty much had he selected Mahomes. Now he might have a tough time getting them over the top and winning a SB with roster mismanagement (see Chiefs this year) but Mahomes by himself is pretty much a ticket punched to the playoffs every year even with a bad GM.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah all it takes is one.

As a Browns fan (and me as a Viking fan) we wouldnt know for sure. But an elite QB turns around a franchise completely.

Putting together an NFL roster isnt nearly as hard as NFL teams make it look once you get a top 5 QB. Sashi Brown (I googled worst Cleveland GM and that is what came up) would have the Browns in the playoffs every single season pretty much had he selected Mahomes. Now he might have a tough time getting them over the top and winning a SB with roster mismanagement (see Chiefs this year) but Mahomes by himself is pretty much a ticket punched to the playoffs every year even with a bad GM.

Don't get me started on Sashi lol

An elite qb can make you a playoff team...sure. But the 7 and 8 seed abyss in the NBA is the worst place to be.

Mahomes on his own isn't a super bowl winner.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get me started on Sashi lol

An elite qb can make you a playoff team...sure. But the 7 and 8 seed abyss in the NBA is the worst place to be.

Mahomes on his own isn't a super bowl winner.

As a fan maybe.....

....but as a GM or coach, it keeps you employed for at least 7 or 8 years. And it is when you have that kind of security that often times GM's do their best work.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In my lifetime, I've only seen a handful generational prospects worth tanking for to get the #1 draft position.
Magic - 1979
Hakeem - 1985
Robinson - 1987
Shaq - 1992
Duncan - 1997
Lebron - 2003

It's rare to get a kid at #1 that actually lives up to the hype. I don't think the lottery is even necessary in the NBA. One player can make a huge difference, but there is only so much room on a roster to have those guys.

Anthony Davis, Derek Rose and Zion would be considered generational prospects too. Oden too.

They dont have to actually pan out to be considered a generation prospect. It is the draft after all.

And the one thing that all these guys have in common is that you can see them coming from over a year away. Meaning you know there is a generational talent at the top of the draft before the season even starts.

You dont get anywhere close to that type of hype and knowledge a year in advance in the NFL. A guy like Burrow wasnt even a 1st round prospect the fall before he was drafted. Luck and Clowney are the only 2 guys that I can think of that kind of hype that an NBA talent gets. Maybe Caleb this year to a lesser extent.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You dont get anywhere close to that type of hype and knowledge a year in advance in the NFL. A guy like Burrow wasnt even a 1st round prospect the fall before he was drafted. Luck and Clowney are the only 2 guys that I can think of that kind of hype that an NBA talent gets. Maybe Caleb this year to a lesser extent.

Trevor had that hype, I would say even more so than Luck and Clowney. When he won the national title in his freshman year, they began the countdown clock for when he would be drafted #1. Luck went to Stanford and wasn't really a big prospect right away. I don't really count Clowney in the same ways as a QB. The QB position WAY more impactful than any other player on the field. That's been the case for 10-15 years now, especially since the RB has basically faded away.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate the lottery system. It usually screws the teams that need the most help. Most teams that have the top pick usually become playoff teams. Here is the breakdown of the teams who have had the #1 picks over the past 10 years:

2023 - Panthers (from Bears)
2022 - Jags (playoff win since draft)
2021 - Jags (playoff win since draft)
2020 - Bengals (Super Bowl appearance since this draft)
2019 - Cardinals (playoff appearance since draft)
2018 - Browns (playoff win since draft)
2017 - Browns (playoff win since draft)
2016 - Rams (Super Bowl win since draft)
2015 - Buccaneers (Super Bowl win since draft)
2014 - Houston Texans
2013 - Chiefs (Multiple Super Bowl wins since draft)

It seems that having the #1 pick moves you in the direction of becoming a playoff team. I know people hate to see teams tank, but the system seems to work as intended. Teams don't tank for long, and often quickly become playoff teams.

I'm more like Bleacher.

Lottery hurts drafts because it's usually the same teams at the top spot.

Look at Edmonton in the NHL. They had 3 1st overall in 10 years.

Vancouver had the 2nd worst record in tge NHL but picked 5th.

I can go on and on but the Lottery is more detrimental than helpful

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Magic - 1979
Hakeem - 1985
Robinson - 1987
Shaq - 1992
Duncan - 1997
Lebron - 2003

Too many times to count here. Some pan out(McJeebus), others burn ( Yakapov)

In the past 20 years:

Crosby
Ovi
Stamkos
Ekblud
McKinnon
Lafrenière
McJeebus
Taveras
Matthew
Wright
Bedard