• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Playing Head Coach: Denver at Detroit

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey man, I was yelling for Tulloch and Mathis to be let go. Jones too. Suh masked all their weaknesses. Levy prob did too.

Slay could be good and we will never know without a pass rush, he can't cover guys forever.

I agree. I am ok with those guys being rotational or backups but just not the main players anymore. I think the defense will get better when Levy comes back, although it may take a few games. If the Lions are smart they will move Bynes back to MLB when Levy returns. Getting 2 upgrades with only 1 new player.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is when we need Ansah to be the man. At this point, he's been fairly average in my opinion. Nobody seems to make plays when we need them outside of Quin.

Im not even sure how much of a difference Levy will make to be honest. At least 2 of the 3 LBs need to be good ones to be able to defend the field.

Teams know our first and second level of defenders arent that good so they will continue to attack there. Ever notice how teams rarely go deep on us? They don't have to and that is the one area we defend well.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they were smart, Mayhew should be trying to trade for a impact defender.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they were smart, Mayhew should be trying to trade for a impact defender.

The New York Post's Brian Costello reported RE Muhammad Wilkerson has broken off contract negotiations with the Jets.

Wilkerson had been clear he would not negotiate during the season. If the two sides cannot come to an agreement following the season, the Jets will either have to slap Wilkerson with the franchise tag or let their star defensive end hit free agency. If allowed to reach the market, Wilkerson could threaten the $60 million guaranteed Marcell Dareus received from the Bills last week. Sep 14 - 11:15 AM

Boom. Calvin to the Jets for Wilkerson, sign Wilkerson up to a new long term deal.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the defense will get better when Levy comes back

Agree 100%. The level of play between Levy and his backup is a huge drop, not only in production and talent, but in experience as well.

Levy excelled at play recognition and shooting gaps to make stops in the run -- it is why he led the Lions last year in run stuffs. Whitehead, while he seemed to play well in the middle last year, he seems to let the plays come to him more than attacking when he is lined up outside.

Of course it is going to take time for Levy to get his conditioning back up to speed, but once he does, I think the defense will look much better. Do I think we will have a dominant defense? No. Mathis looks like he has regressed, Tulloch looks like he has regressed.

And IMO, it has nothing to do with the departure of Suh or the absence of Levy. Both players are at the tail end of their career -- Tulloch is coming off a major knee surgery and looks like a different player. Mathis is just, well, he is a dinosaur in CB years and the routes he is getting beat on on short and intermediate routes. If QB's were sitting in the pocket all day before making throws, I'd feel differently. Teams are using 3 and 4 step drops and getting the ball out before anyone can get pressure.

The only quarter where teams didn't use this type of play calling was the 1st quarter of the SD game where Detroit pressured Rivers repeatedly. The bad part is -- SD basically gave everyone a blue print on how to attack the Lions defense, just like, I believe it was SF, that was the 1st to drop the safeties back 20+ yards against our offense and teams continue to do the same thing against Detroit.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The New York Post's Brian Costello reported RE Muhammad Wilkerson has broken off contract negotiations with the Jets.

Wilkerson had been clear he would not negotiate during the season. If the two sides cannot come to an agreement following the season, the Jets will either have to slap Wilkerson with the franchise tag or let their star defensive end hit free agency. If allowed to reach the market, Wilkerson could threaten the $60 million guaranteed Marcell Dareus received from the Bills last week. Sep 14 - 11:15 AM

Boom. Calvin to the Jets for Wilkerson, sign Wilkerson up to a new long term deal.

Not sure taking a 3-4 end and paying him huge dollars is the best idea. I do like Wilkerson, but I am not sure it will translate. I think it will in his case, but I would not bet 60 million on it. That will be on the coaches.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure taking a 3-4 end and paying him huge dollars is the best idea. I do like Wilkerson, but I am not sure it will translate. I think it will in his case, but I would not bet 60 million on it. That will be on the coaches.
Im not supporting that deal.

But.... He's no more a DE than Ngata is/was.

I like Big Mo a lot too though.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not supporting that deal.

But.... He's no more a DE than Ngata is/was.

I like Big Mo a lot too though.

I would certainly pay him what we are paying NGata though.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would certainly pay him what we are paying NGata though.
I'd gladly trade em Ngata for him.

Then tag him.

I'm seriously scared Mayhew resigns him for no good reason before the season is over. Big concern for me.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not even sure how much of a difference Levy will make to be honest. At least 2 of the 3 LBs need to be good ones to be able to defend the field.

Nailed it. It will easy for teams to avoid Levy, run away from him, use whoever he's covering as a decoy etc...last year teams couldn't do this because of the fearsome front 4. With that gone, they'll just pick on Tulloch and Mathis all year.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Levy excelled at play recognition and shooting gaps to make stops in the run -- it is why he led the Lions last year in run stuffs.

This is the result of elite Dline play, cleaning up the O line and allowing the LBs to freely attack the RB. Levy has been around a long time, and it wasn't until a fully stocked D line was put in front of him did he flourish. This isn't a knock on him. He still has to locate and attack the RB once the Olinemen are pushed around. All the great LBs have strong Dlines in front of them. All starts in the trenches.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the result of elite Dline play, cleaning up the O line and allowing the LBs to freely attack the RB. Levy has been around a long time, and it wasn't until a fully stocked D line was put in front of him did he flourish. This isn't a knock on him. He still has to locate and attack the RB once the Olinemen are pushed around. All the great LBs have strong Dlines in front of them. All starts in the trenches.

It doesn't take an elite DLine to have an elite LB. Does it help? Sure, because you don't have to rely on your LB'ers to make most of the plays. On the defensive line -- you just need guys who take on double teams, clog lanes, etc. -- Ngata is getting the same doubles. With Tulloch playing terribly and Levy out -- it leaves the Lions without a playmaker at LB and they have struggled.

I bet this is also why we've seen Suh struggle in Miami. My guess is -- if you looked at the LB play (which I couldn't tell you any of the LB'ers names in Miami) -- I bet they have struggled.

There are very few players who can take over a game on their own on the DLine. There is only one guy I would put in that category.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miami D is 5th best for points against w 10 and 23 after two road games. Their D isn't struggling as bad as people would like to think.

10 pts and 0 rush TDs given up to the same team that ran all over the feared Rams D line for multiple scores.

Could be a lot worse.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miami D is 5th best for points against w 10 and 23 after two road games. Their D isn't struggling as bad as people would like to think.

10 pts and 0 rush TDs given up to the same team that ran all over the feared Rams D line for multiple scores.

Could be a lot worse.

They rank 27th in total defense after facing Kirk Cousins and Blake Bortles. They are giving up 375+ yards a game.

The points against is nice, but even Miami would admit they have struggled defensively, which is why you see guys calling for changes to be made.

I do agree -- it could be a lot worse. They are lucky to have a cake schedule to start the year, so they have time to figure things out before they face any top level offense.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two road games to start the season is a cake schedule? Guess the Lions have a cake schedule too.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They rank 27th in total defense after facing Kirk Cousins and Blake Bortles. They are giving up 375+ yards a game.

The points against is nice, but even Miami would admit they have struggled defensively, which is why you see guys calling for changes to be made.

I do agree -- it could be a lot worse. They are lucky to have a cake schedule to start the year, so they have time to figure things out before they face any top level offense.

On the cake schedule... Kinda early still to call any team a cake team. Will things stay the way they are? Prolly not, but Jets in first and Colts in last. Teams go from basement to the playoffs anymore. Any given Sunday.

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would do a lot of bunch sets, motions, the having the slot chip the de that NO did to us in playoffs. Basically play all 3 step drops or screens with a good amounts of draws and quick hitting run plays. Just one hundred percent play negate the pass rush. On defense I don't know because I don't know if we have the personnel to do what I would want against Peyton.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two road games to start the season is a cake schedule? Guess the Lions have a cake schedule too.

No road game is cake, but if you are going to open on the road -- facing two teams who were a combined 7-25 the year before is about as good as you can ask for.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the cake schedule... Kinda early still to call any team a cake team. Will things stay the way they are? Prolly not, but Jets in first and Colts in last. Teams go from basement to the playoffs anymore. Any given Sunday.

Agreed -- maybe cake was a bit much. If you are going to open the season on the road with two games -- facing 2 teams who combined for 7 wins total the year before and didn't bring in any big upgrades in the offseason is about as good as it gets.

I do agree -- anyone can go from the basement to the playoffs, but usually that is done with a coaching change, some sort of a major addition to the team either with a rookie or free agent and a lot of bounces to go your way. :)