• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Players you think might get cut this offseason (any team)

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Giants' backfield outlook
February, 6, 2013 3:39PM ET
By Tom Carpenter | ESPN.com

UPDATE: Well, it seems that the Giants have simply ripped the proverbial band-aid off. Per ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter, the Giants have released Ahmad Bradshaw. This should open the door wide for David Wilson to bust loose for fantasy teams next season. Bradshaw's future may not be decided for several months, after he proves himself to be healthy. His most recent foot surgery is expected to sideline him for a couple of months.

---

The New York Giants are projected to be $4.7 million over the salary cap, so they are going to have some difficult decisions to make regarding free agents like O-linemen Will Beatty and Kevin Boothe. ESPNNewYork.com's Ohm Youngmisuk thinks that the Giants "need to re-sign Beatty" and "are expected to bring [RB Andre Brown] back" as a restricted free agent.

A tougher decision will have to be made regarding Ahmad Bradshaw, who is coming off another foot surgery and will cost $3.75 million in base salary in 2013. Regardless of how the offseason roster changes play out, Youngmisuk thinks David Wilson will get a chance to shine:

Ohm Youngmisuk
Positional analysis: Running back

"Bradshaw underwent surgery to replace a screw in his right foot and will be out another eight weeks. Besides that, he is uncertain about his future with the emergence of Brown and Wilson. Tom Coughlin, though, loves Bradshaw’s toughness and the luxury of having three running backs. Wilson should be given an opportunity to compete for the starting job after showing what he could do late in the season. GM Jerry Reese says he believes Wilson can shoulder the load. Wilson, Bradshaw and Brown could be an effective trio when healthy. Brown has shown what he can do as the lead back, rushing for 113 yards and two touchdowns in a start against Carolina. He also excelled as the goal line back."

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what's crazy? The Raiders could have picked Calvin Johnson in 07, Joe Flacco in 08, Michael Crabtree in 09, Rob Gronkowski in 2010, Demarco Murray in 2011 (they didn't really have a draft in 2012 because of stupidity).

They would have needed an O-line, but Jesus this team could have been LOADED with the picks available to them.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
You know what's crazy? The Raiders could have picked Calvin Johnson in 07, Joe Flacco in 08, Michael Crabtree in 09, Rob Gronkowski in 2010, Demarco Murray in 2011 (they didn't really have a draft in 2012 because of stupidity).

They would have needed an O-line, but Jesus this team could have been LOADED with the picks available to them.

They could've had Fitz in '04 too. And Aaron Rodgers in '05.

Every team could've had Demarco Murray though. Twice if I remember correctly.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was just looking for a name RB in that draft, only because I had them take Gronkowski over CJ Spiller in the previous season.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hard to believe Fitzgerald is going to be starting his 10th season in September. What a waste of what should have been a spectacular career. Foolish for him to re-up with Arizona. That team is historically awful for a reason.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Could Goodwin be cut?
February, 7, 2013 9:48AM ET
By Tim Kavanagh | ESPN.com

The San Francisco 49ers plan to do just about whatever is necessary to make another run at the Super Bowl in 2013 -- they're on the right track, having lost in the conference championship game in 2011 and the Super Bowl in 2012 -- but like any other NFL team, they have some tough decisions to make on player personnel this offseason. One interesting case is starting C Jonathan Goodwin.

Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee writes that the other Niners' O-linemen consider the 34-year-old Goodwin to be a father figure, and the scribe believes it to be unlikely that the club would break apart the current quintet. On the other hand, releasing Goodwin would free up some needed cap space -- he's due to count $5 million against the cap in 2013 -- and they could slot in some other options in his stead: Daniel Kilgore or Joe Looney.

The Niners will remain at the forefront of this and other NFL blogs over the next several weeks because of the Alex Smith situation, but the decision on Goodwin could have a big effect on their 2013 exploits as well.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could Goodwin be cut?
February, 7, 2013 9:48AM ET

The San Francisco 49ers plan to do just about whatever is necessary to make another run at the Super Bowl in 2013 -- they're on the right track, having lost in the conference championship game in 2011 and the Super Bowl in 2012 -- but like any other NFL team, they have some tough decisions to make on player personnel this offseason. One interesting case is starting C Jonathan Goodwin.

Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee writes that the other Niners' O-linemen consider the 34-year-old Goodwin to be a father figure, and the scribe believes it to be unlikely that the club would break apart the current quintet. On the other hand, releasing Goodwin would free up some needed cap space -- he's due to count $5 million against the cap in 2013 -- and they could slot in some other options in his stead: Daniel Kilgore or Joe Looney.

The Niners will remain at the forefront of this and other NFL blogs over the next several weeks because of the Alex Smith situation, but the decision on Goodwin could have a big effect on their 2013 exploits as well.

5M is a lot. Barrett Jones is a projected 2nd rounder who can play multiple spots. I wonder if the Niners would take a look at him.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Potential Jets cuts
February, 7, 2013 2:37PM ET

Apparently some of the speculative cuts discussed below are all but official.

According to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, the Jets will be cutting Scott, Smith and Pace in the coming days, which will clear $27.7 million off their 2013 salary cap. This will help alleviate their cap woes, though this is a long-term process.

---

The New York Giants already got their offseason financial moves off to a brisk start, removing RB Ahmad Bradshaw and DT Chris Canty from the roster on Wednesday in order to shave some value off their salary cap figure. Their co-tenants at MetLife Stadium will be joining them in this action soon.

According to Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post, the Jets are around $20 million over the projected 2013 salary cap, which is a pretty wild occurrence considering how poorly this iteration of the roster performed in 2012. Regardless of 2012 performance, however, some cuts will need to be made to get them under the salary cap prior to the start of the league year on March 12. Hubbuch suggests excising OLB Calvin Pace, ILB Bart Scott, OT Jason Smith and S Eric Smith; in removing those four, the Jets will save $30.8 million in cap room.

Once the cap cuts are transacted, the Jets can get the rest of their offseason planned out; S LaRon Landry needs a new contract, they need to fill some vacancies, and there's also the matter of CB Darrelle Revis, who is entering the final season of his current deal.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This guy had his Delanie Walker type like moments too this year (dropping easy passes), but if we ended up losing Delanie this offseason, this guy could be a legitimate replacement. Though he'd be a backup, he realizes how much opportunities #2 TE receive in the type of offense that we run. Furthermore, our scheme best suits a player like his skill set. I would love to land someone like Jared Cook, but I think that is extremely unlikely to happen. In that note, I would settle for Finley:

Jermichael Finley discusses future
Updated: February 8, 2013, 9:56 AM ET
ESPN.com news services

Green Bay Packers tight end Jermichael Finley told the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel he believes it's a "50/50" chance that he remains with the club next season.

The Packers have a decision to make about the talented Finley, who is due a $3 million roster bonus in March. If the Packers trade or release Finley, they would save $8.25 million.

Finley

"It's the nature of the business," Finley told the newspaper. "If there's a guy that's overpaid or that they think is overpaid, they'll ask for a pay cut. There's no doubt that I want to be there for life. But it's a business and the business will tell you otherwise. I would say on the business front, it's 50/50. But if it was up to me or anybody in my circle, I would love to be back."

If he's not released, Finley could sign a more cap friendly mutliyear extension, according to the newspaper. At his season-ending news conference, Packers coach Mike McCarthy indicated that he would like to see Finley return.

Finley, 25, had a bit of a disappointing season in 2012, catching 61 passes for 667 yards and two touchdowns. He has 64 receptions for 2,485 yards and 17 TDs in three seasons.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Bill Williamson at ESPN:

"...the team has been in touch with quarterback Matt Cassel and defensive end Tyson Jackson. Cassel will almost certainly be cut, and Jackson will have to take a major pay cut to avoid being cut."

Jackson too huh? What would you think about him as a free agent?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bill Williamson at ESPN:

"...the team has been in touch with quarterback Matt Cassel and defensive end Tyson Jackson. Cassel will almost certainly be cut, and Jackson will have to take a major pay cut to avoid being cut."

Jackson too huh? What would you think about him as a free agent?

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
From the Schef' at ESPN (who may or may not actually be ChrisPozz):

A seven-year veteran, Holmes has a $12.5 million cap charge for 2013, the third-highest on the Jets. He has the $7.5 million guarantee in 2013, but his contract includes off-set language -- meaning he can't "double dip" if he's released.

If Holmes gets cut and signs elsewhere, he can earn a maximum of $7.5 million, with the Jets responsible for the difference between $7.5 million and his new salary. The off-set language, therefore, gives the Jets some leverage in a renegotiation

So it wouldn't be out of the question to see Holmes on the free agent market. That would be nice; dilutes the WR pool.

justforkicks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mort and Shefter just reported that Cullen Jenkins was cut by Philly.

I don't know how he's played lately, but I know I liked him when he was a free agent a couple of years ago. I like the fact that he excelled in the 3-4 with GB and that he has a ring. Seems like a guy the Saint's would target pretty hard since they're transitioning to the 3-4 though, so there may be a lot of competition for his services.

Eagles release Cullen Jenkins
ESPN.com news services

The Philadelphia Eagles released defensive tackle Cullen Jenkins on Monday, the team announced.

NFC East blog

ESPN.com's Dan Graziano writes about all things NFC East in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

Jenkins was part of the Eagles' free-agent spending spree in 2011 when he left the Green Bay Packers to join Philadelphia on a five-year, $25 million deal. The Eagles were labeled a "dream team" by then-backup quarterback Vince Young after the additions but stumbled to a disappointing 8-8 record that season.

He agreed to restructure his contract last offseason in order to stay with the Eagles.

Jenkins started all 32 games after signing with the Eagles and had 9.5 sacks in his two seasons for Philadelphia, including four last season.

"I had a chance to speak with Cullen today and let him know of our decision," Eagles general manager Howie Roseman said in a statement. "It's one of the most difficult parts of the job. He has been a very productive player in this league for a long time but we felt it in our team's best interests that we go in a different direction. By releasing him at this point, it gives he and his agent more time to sign on with another team. We wish Cullen and his family all the best as he continues his NFL career."

The 32-year-old Jenkins, who spent his first seven NFL seasons in Green Bay, has 38.5 sacks in 125 career games.

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Pat Yasinskas at ESPN:

Despite restructuring the contracts of center Ryan Kalil, safety Haruki Nakamura, tight end Greg Olsen and tailback Jonathan Stewart, the Panthers are still about $6.5 million over the projected NFL salary cap.

The Panthers could clear an additional $7.9 million in salary cap if they release veteran cornerback Chris Gamble, who finished last season on injured reserve.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
If Gamble is cut, this could dilute the CB pool even more! This is the perfect offseason to sign a CB (or 2). Rogers needs to go, and the Niners need to sign DRC & Leotis.

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I just don't see the 9ers going THAT heavy in FA at the corner position. It doesn't feel like their philosophy.. I would not be surprised to see them add a first round corner and possibly an undervalued guy in FA.. DRC and Leodis would get too much I think. If Gamble does hit, he seems like a version of ROgers that wouldn't cost 8mil per..

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I just don't see the 9ers going THAT heavy in FA at the corner position. It doesn't feel like their philosophy.. I would not be surprised to see them add a first round corner and possibly an undervalued guy in FA.. DRC and Leodis would get too much I think. If Gamble does hit, he seems like a version of ROgers that wouldn't cost 8mil per..

I totally agree with the bold part. I'd rather keep Rogers than sign Gamble. But if he's a FA, that's just one more CB someone else will sign instead of the guys I want.

CB is the one position at which the Niners can become extremely strong, deep and (most importantly) young without using any draft picks to do so. And CB was a big problem in the playoffs. Rogers is getting worse, and his salary this year is 7 million. And that's going to keep going up. The Niners have a chance to replace him with a younger CB like DRC, and I hope they do.

And keep in mind, Leodis McKelvin is one of the best punt returners in the NFL, so he could kill 2 birds with one stone. And, unlike Ted Ginn Jr, he hasn't had a bunch of injury problems the last 3 years.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Dallas cut Gerald Sensabaugh. There's another SS option.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sensabaugh would be decent at FS for us. i'd love to grab mckelvin who would beat out culli and give us a top return man.