• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Players who need to go this offseason

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To clarify that he was the best of the group idea, the other Raiders running backs were:

Roy Helu, Jr. - A career change of pace back who is a better receiver than runner and got 26 touches all season.

Taiwan Jones - A guy who they have switched between running back and corner back his entire career. He's basically just their kickoff returner, he had 23 offensive touches all year (and when it was thought Murray wasn't going to be available, he was speculated as the starter in his place.

Marcel Reese - Their versatile FB whose versatility shades more toward TE than HB. He had 40 touches, but only 10 carries.

Jamize Olawale - Another FB - he was second among RBs in rushing for the team with 110 yards. He would not be able to be a feature back with his lack of athleticism, but as a FB it isn't what he is asked to do.

There isn't one of those 4 who I would want to be the #1 guy, so Murray just kind've gets the job by default.The Raiders seem to agree, with the 4 of them combining for 67 carries and 55 catches (and as Murray slowed down at the end, the carries weren't given to these guys either, they just threw the ball more).

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is, was Murray a feature back because he was that good - or because they didn't have anyone else. Murray shot out the gate hot (630 yard rushing, 4.8 ypc, 3 TDs in the first 8 games) and the team benefitted from it (4-4 with 26.6 ppg). The last 8 games however he came back down to earth (436 yards rushing, 3.3 ypc; 3TDs) and the Raiders came back down with him (3-5 with 18.3 ppg). If Oakland feels they can get his first half production all year long - then it's a no brainer that they move forward with him. But if his second half is more what they are expecting - they have to move on and find someone else (and I am not saying that someone else is Lynch).
It doesn't matter why he was a featured back. That part was never in the discussion.

But going forward, would Oakland consider Marshawn Lynch as their featured back, over Murray, taking everything into consideration (age, expected salary, attitude, health)? I don't know. I don't have a pipeline to Oakland's GM. But my guess is that they won't.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't matter why he was a featured back. That part was never in the discussion.

But going forward, would Oakland consider Marshawn Lynch as their featured back, over Murray, taking everything into consideration (age, expected salary, attitude, health)? I don't know. I don't have a pipeline to Oakland's GM. But my guess is that they won't.

Obviously I don't know what they're thinking either, but there's no way of saying that Murray did anything that would mean that they wouldn't bring Lynch in. I don't think they'll pay him anywhere near his current $11 million cap hit either, so cost wouldn't be that significant (obviously more than Murray's $700,000). With how Murray collapsed down the stretch, they may be interested in bringing Lynch in for $4 million or so, and if he has reached that 30 year wall - then they have Murray to fall back on. I'm not saying this is going to happen (since I'm not sold that Lynch is leaving Seattle, yet), I'm just saying that Oakland may be more interested in bringing him in than just going with Murray.

They're a solid running game away from being a really competitive team. Murray may have been 6th in rushing, but the team was 28th.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah were keeping Graham .... And Rubin was a huge reason we were ranked #1 vs the Run... YOU keep a guy like that....

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Kam just tells them shit is cool before the draft and we can move on from that nonsense. He had an off year. The team just can't take any more nonsense from him. If they know there's going to be no BS with him then a lot of other things will fall into place, like whether or not to resign Irvin.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very nice recap... I wonder if we'll put a franchise tag on either Okung or Sweezy to buy us another year while we figure out the OL... I would prefer to sign Sweezy to a new contract... He's been a solid player who continues to improve... He's our toughness on that OL..

What would be the cap hit on an Okung franchise tag? It seems like it would be pretty significant, in which case I'd rather they didn't franchise him. He's been hurt too much and been too inconsistent when he's played for me to want the Seahawks to take too big a chunk out of their salary cap to bring him back. The best reason to bring him back is for the sake of continuity on the offensive line, but you have to ask yourself if you're Schneider and Carroll whether having that continuity is important enough to give a player who isn't a top 5 player at his position top 5 player money.

MKHawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6th in the NFL in rushing because,

all these featured backs were injured:

LeVeon Bell
Jamaal Charles
Marshawn Lynch
Jonathon Stewart
Justin Forsett
Demarco Murray going to a team that didn't give him the ball...
Eddie Lacey ate his other RB

Basically got 6th by default... He only had 1088 yards rushing from scrimmage in 16 games... That's just average He would've been 12th the year before... Can't be too excited about 4.0 ypc average this day and age...

I chuckled

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lynch
Graham
Kam
Okung
Wright
Rubin
Kearse
Jackson
Michael
Tukuafu
It probably makes some sense in a discussion like this to distinguish between UFAs and players that are not UFAs since the team doesn't have unilateral decision over the UFAs in terms of whether they return.

It would be pretty dumb to cut KJ Wright. He's excellent and has been excellent from nearly day 1, and it's especially odd to say he should be gone when there's a huge chance that UFA Irvin will be a loss from the LB corps.

Kam didn't have a great season but that may be in part due to his late arrival. He's an elite SS and has 2 more years on his deal. It doesnt make much sense at all to cut him either.

Jimmy Graham was our leading receiver until he got hurt, and he did it when our OL was in the tank. I don't understand what we gain by cutting him othe than some cap room, but then we've just created a hole on the roster and let go of a guy who is a huge matchup problem for almost every team in the league.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would be the cap hit on an Okung franchise tag? It seems like it would be pretty significant, in which case I'd rather they didn't franchise him. He's been hurt too much and been too inconsistent when he's played for me to want the Seahawks to take too big a chunk out of their salary cap to bring him back. The best reason to bring him back is for the sake of continuity on the offensive line, but you have to ask yourself if you're Schneider and Carroll whether having that continuity is important enough to give a player who isn't a top 5 player at his position top 5 player money.

I believe his tag salary would be somewhere around $9.5 million.

Players who aren't top 5 get top 5 money all the time - it's the same argument about Wilson getting his contract last off season.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously I don't know what they're thinking either, but there's no way of saying that Murray did anything that would mean that they wouldn't bring Lynch in. I don't think they'll pay him anywhere near his current $11 million cap hit either, so cost wouldn't be that significant (obviously more than Murray's $700,000). With how Murray collapsed down the stretch, they may be interested in bringing Lynch in for $4 million or so, and if he has reached that 30 year wall - then they have Murray to fall back on. I'm not saying this is going to happen (since I'm not sold that Lynch is leaving Seattle, yet), I'm just saying that Oakland may be more interested in bringing him in than just going with Murray.

They're a solid running game away from being a really competitive team. Murray may have been 6th in rushing, but the team was 28th.
I've read that Oakland has a ton of money in cap space. They could move up to being contenders if they use that cap space wisely. They aren't that far away right now, even playing in a division with Denver and KC. Would Lynch be a wise investment? Seems like there are so many variables at play:
Would Lynch want featured back money (which I would think has to be at least $5 million)?
If so, would Oakland be willing to give him that much knowing they already have Murray?
If Oakland does not see him as a featured back, would Lynch be willing to become in a third down type of back at third down back type of money ($2-3 million), in order to play for his hometown team?
Does Lynch want to finish his career on a contender and if so does he consider Oakland a potential contender?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One wildcard with the Raiders is how much the allure of having a big name local guy would have for them from a marketing perspective.

When determining what players she leave or stay, the key factor to consider is who would replace them and at what cost?

Losing Bruce Irvin means we need to replace him with someone. While he may not be the most important player on the defense he has been pretty much a starter on the best defense in football for the last 3 years.

Same is true with Okung and Kearse.

How much will it cost to find replacements for them?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The hometown discount stuff is mostly nonsense.

Kearse wants to maximize his payday. He was a UDFA. They have him a nice payday this year but this is the contract he really needs to max out.

Whether anyone will find him more valuable than the Seahawks remains to be seen.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've read that Oakland has a ton of money in cap space. They could move up to being contenders if they use that cap space wisely. They aren't that far away right now, even playing in a division with Denver and KC. Would Lynch be a wise investment? Seems like there are so many variables at play:
Would Lynch want featured back money (which I would think has to be at least $5 million)?
If so, would Oakland be willing to give him that much knowing they already have Murray?
If Oakland does not see him as a featured back, would Lynch be willing to become in a third down type of back at third down back type of money ($2-3 million), in order to play for his hometown team?
Does Lynch want to finish his career on a contender and if so does he consider Oakland a potential contender?

Lynch is currently slated to be the highest paid RB next season. $9 million base salary is a massive amount of money. If Oakland were to give him $5 million for next year - it would still keep him in the top 5 in the league. If he were cut loose by Seattle - I would think the best he could do it DeAngelo Williams money, no matter the role he would play, and that is $2 million ($2.5 cap hit) which is right about where a majority of feature backs in the league sit. I think it'll only cost Oakland $5 million if they overpay grossly.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The hometown discount stuff is mostly nonsense.

Kearse wants to maximize his payday. He was a UDFA. They have him a nice payday this year but this is the contract he really needs to max out.

Whether anyone will find him more valuable than the Seahawks remains to be seen.

Kearse is a nice weapon, but his value isn't much more than $3 or $4 million a year - and for that price, I wouldn't mind keeping him around for a few more years - at least until we have to start paying Lockett top dollar.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kearse is a nice weapon, but his value isn't much more than $3 or $4 million a year - and for that price, I wouldn't mind keeping him around for a few more years - at least until we have to start paying Lockett top dollar.

Yeah. I agree with you. Good player to have but he is a mid-tier weapon. 15 million dollar contract with about 1/3 guaranteed seems like a good number for him.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I find Kearse's honesty refreshing, even if it is not what we want to hear. Makes me like the player that much more. Bruce Irvin is full of shit. He was willing to offer a hometown discount in the hours immediately after the last game, when emotions were running high. (And his agent was probably wincing.) Too bad we didn't have someone there to sign him at that moment whjle he was yapping. Give him a couple months to think about his situation, and that promised hometown discount will be all but gone.

Reactions: BHF

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe his tag salary would be somewhere around $9.5 million.

Players who aren't top 5 get top 5 money all the time - it's the same argument about Wilson getting his contract last off season.

At least with Wilson you know he's going to be out there every week, which you can't say about Okung at this point. Okung has missed at least one game every year of his career and has missed as many as eight games in a season. Like I said, if you want to keep him around for the sake of continuity that's fine, but I don't think the Seahawks should be so desperate for continuity on the offensive line that they're willing to pay almost top dollar for a guy with a history of missing games and a history of inconsistency when he does play.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least with Wilson you know he's going to be out there every week, which you can't say about Okung at this point. Okung has missed at least one game every year of his career and has missed as many as eight games in a season. Like I said, if you want to keep him around for the sake of continuity that's fine, but I don't think the Seahawks should be so desperate for continuity on the offensive line that they're willing to pay almost top dollar for a guy with a history of missing games and a history of inconsistency when he does play.
Just wondering what you think the Seahawks should do about replacing him? A rookie at LT or move Gilliam ( which I believe the plan is) ? Neither sound like it would result in a good OL, at least not likely.